What year did MLB change baseballs from AL and NL balls to the current Major League balls?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoneRubbedBat
    • Jul 2005

What year did MLB change baseballs from AL and NL balls to the current Major League balls?

What year did MLB change baseballs from separate AL and NL balls to the current Major League baseballs?

Thanks in advance.
    sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.
  • Birdbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: What year did MLB change baseballs from AL and NL balls to the current Major League balls?

Jeff Scott
    birdbats@charter.net
    http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• coxfan
      • Feb 2009

Re: What year did MLB change baseballs from AL and NL balls to the current Major League balls?

However, I think some AL and NL balls intended solely for autograph signings of retired stars are still manufactured if specially ordered; though they're not used in games. I think the change in balls in 2000 coincided with the consolidation of league offices, and the elimination of the two league presidencies.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by coxfan
        However, I think some AL and NL balls intended solely for autograph signings of retired stars are still manufactured if specially ordered; though they're not used in games. I think the change in balls in 2000 coincided with the consolidation of league offices, and the elimination of the two league presidencies.
        That premise is spot on. The only caveat that I would add is that a few NL and AL baseballs still snuck into play during the early weeks of the 2000 season...I had a Paul Konerko April 2000 homer that was a Budig ball, while one Ballhawk caught a Ricky Gutierrez (I think) blast on Waveland that was a Coleman ball.

Comment

• ironmanfan
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
          That premise is spot on. The only caveat that I would add is that a few NL and AL baseballs still snuck into play during the early weeks of the 2000 season...I had a Paul Konerko April 2000 homer that was a Budig ball, while one Ballhawk caught a Ricky Gutierrez (I think) blast on Waveland that was a Coleman ball.
          This is spot on as I did have the opportunity to view the "game used" ball (and other assorted memorabilia) collection from Cal Ripken's 3000th hit game (April 15th) @ the Metrodome and out of the 15 or so game balls that were saved, 2 or 3 were indeed Budig balls.

Comment

Working...