PDA

View Full Version : What in the World of game Used Collecting do I have here???

camarokids
05-15-2010, 11:28 PM
I just received my Bob Horner 1980-83 Louisville Slugger A-99 today and was a bit surprised......

There is some writing on the handle, "Horner Exactly Like This" "Braves".

Also has marks every 3" or so.....

Any Ideas???? BMH???

xpress34
05-16-2010, 12:37 AM
David -

It looks like an 'index' bat for hand turning.

When I worked for Rawlings and was making bats at Coors Field, we would take a standard 33" Pro Model and make it the same way.

You then put your 'billet' in the lathe, and set the index bat in the cradle above it.

You start the lathe and use a pencil to mark rings on the billet that align with the marks on the index bat.

You then use a caliper to measure the diameter of the index bat and then use the wood knife to start grooving out the billet on the pencil marks until you reach the same caliper depth at each mark as the billet's diameter at each mark.

After that, you start to shape the bat from mark to mark until it has a smooth rise up and down the barrel and the grooves you made are now smooth and even with the bat surface on your billet. then you shape your knob and the head, sand, etc before cutting off the excess wood at the billet ends.

Hope this helps....

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
05-16-2010, 12:38 AM
...we would take a standard 33" Pro Model and make it the same way.

Sorry, should say MARK it the same way...

- Chris

camarokids
05-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info!

I talked to Zane and thinks the bat was possibly sent to LS or Rawlings to be a pattern for future bats.

Do u think this increases the value of the bat????

MLB_Authentic
05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
No

Thanks for the info!

I talked to Zane and thinks the bat was possibly sent to LS or Rawlings to be a pattern for future bats.

xpress34
05-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the info!

I can't say yes or no... each item - like any unique GU piece - may or may not have extra value in the eyes of other collectors.

I think each item depends on the circumstances surrounding it and the parties interest in obtaining it.

All the best -

Chris

camarokids
05-30-2010, 11:27 AM
I can't say yes or no... each item - like any unique GU piece - may or may not have extra value in the eyes of other collectors.

I think each item depends on the circumstances surrounding it and the parties interest in obtaining it.

All the best -

Chris

Thanks Chris,

What would be cool to find out is if Rawlings made a Bob Horner Model A99 and then to add that bat to my collection.