Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yankees506
    • Apr 2010

Do You Swing Your High End Gamers

Im not sure if this has been discussed on the forum before but im curious if you guys swing your high end bat gamers. By "high end" i mean $300 plus gamers, all the way up to alex rodriguez, big mac, tony gwynn, albert pujols, derek jeter, alfonso soriano, and even jorge posada and many many others. I know ppl have rock solid feelings on jerseys and i want to keep this thread ENTIRELY about bats, NO jersey opinions please! Id love to hear what our community thinks about swinging high end gamers!
  • legaleagle92481
    Banned
    • Oct 2009

Re: Do You Swing Your High End Gamers

Originally posted by yankees506
    Im not sure if this has been discussed on the forum before but im curious if you guys swing your high end bat gamers. By "high end" i mean $300 plus gamers, all the way up to alex rodriguez, big mac, tony gwynn, albert pujols, derek jeter, alfonso soriano, and even jorge posada and many many others. I know ppl have rock solid feelings on jerseys and i want to keep this thread ENTIRELY about bats, NO jersey opinions please! Id love to hear what our community thinks about swinging high end gamers!
    would never. you lose your grip and bat falls you could do serious damage to it. for broken or cracked ones swining it could make the break or crack worse. also many bats have pine tar and getting that all over your hands is a chore to get off.

Comment

• Manram
      • Nov 2008

Never!!!! I have mine in bat tubes and occasionally may take them down to look at them, but leave them in the tube and don't even pull them out. Let alone swing them

Comment

• pjbmd
        • Nov 2005

i really can't think of a good reason not to swinging an uncracked gamer
        if you're careful, swinging a cracked gamer is safe in my experience
        pjb

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
          • Sep 2009

That is one of the great pleasures of owning a game used bat. You can pick it up, hold in your hands the same bat a legend swung. Swinging the bat is safe. Taking the bat out back in the yard and hitting balls is a different story.

Comment

• justinwc80
            • Apr 2009

No, no, no, no, I find myself handling them like any museum pieces. Maybe thats just me.

Comment

• Tay1038
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by STLHAMMER32
              That is one of the great pleasures of owning a game used bat. You can pick it up, hold in your hands the same bat a legend swung. Swinging the bat is safe. Taking the bat out back in the yard and hitting balls is a different story.

I agree. That is a huge part of why I collect. It brings me closer to the game! Having the opportunity to own a piece a lumber my favorite player or childhood hero held and swung... I mean, come on!

Honestly, How could you resist taking a practice cut with the same bat Babe Ruth used? I know I would! And then proabably polish up a bit afterwards. ;]

Why not enjoy your collection a little bit? A hobby is supposed to be fun right? But as STLHAMMER states it - taking it to the back yard and hitting balls is a different story.
              Email: Tay1038@aol.com
              - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Comment

• jobathenut
                • Nov 2008

I have one game used bat in my collection a jason giambi game used bat that another member on here 2000mvpfan gave to me.And got it last chirstmas from him.And even though my whole family during christmas all took swings with it and even my mom did.I still have not.Sorry 2000mvpfan if you read this as i know you told me to take some swings with it i still have not been able to.I just stare at it like a school kid and marvel the fact that i have something that was giambi's.And thank you for not opening up discussions about jerseys as i would have gone on a rant about that.

Comment

• yankees506
                  • Apr 2010

so we have 3 yay, 3 nay, and 1 undecided.... This is great, ill hold off what i think until later on..... Just want to clear up a few things. Im not talking about going to the back yard and getting your barry bonds on, as we would all agree that is the WORST thing anyone can possibly do. But more of a simple practice swing or even holding the bat imitating the players stance...

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                    • Sep 2007

all of my bats hang on the wall and I occasionally take one down and just hold onto it and take a few practice cuts but for the most part they stay hung up.

I have however taken 2 bats that were given to me and I use them in the batting cage in my backyard. a Ben Grieve Sam bat that had the most miniscule crack in it and I have 3 other Grieves so I figured what the heck and I also have an Eric Chavez that I got from him a few years ago but I told him that I was gonna use it in the cages and he gave me a brand new piece of lumber for that.

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by OaklandAsFan
                      all of my bats hang on the wall and I occasionally take one down and just hold onto it and take a few practice cuts but for the most part they stay hung up.

I have however taken 2 bats that were given to me and I use them in the batting cage in my backyard. a Ben Grieve Sam bat that had the most miniscule crack in it and I have 3 other Grieves so I figured what the heck and I also have an Eric Chavez that I got from him a few years ago but I told him that I was gonna use it in the cages and he gave me a brand new piece of lumber for that.

Oh yeah I also had a Ramon Hernandez from 2000 that I used in the cage but I hit one of those hard rubber balls right off the end of the bat and it took a big chunk out of it so now it hangs on the wall.

Comment

• yankees506
                        • Apr 2010

great stories about the low end gamers and how you use them, i myself have taken a randy winn bat and smacked around some leather, but id like to keep the thread to just swinging the high end bats, thanks!

Comment

• 5kRunner
                          • Aug 2007

Using your definition, I've taken cuts with my Sandberg, Dawson, and Grace gamers. Of course at nothing more than air.

But if I had a Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, or even a Mantle; I'm not sure I'd be swing them too much.
                          SCOTT
                          scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
                          sigpic

Comment

• punch
                            • Feb 2010

I swing a bat every Thursday night at softball!

I don't see the allure of taking imaginary cuts with your game used bats.

Comment

• chipperhank44
                              • Jan 2010

As long as the bat is stable, that's the first thing I do when I get a new bat. And every now and then I'll take em out of the showcase and admire, take a couple cuts. I figure if a guy took this bat and demolished baseballs with it, kicked it, and rubbed pine tar all over it, swinging it a couple times in my man cave won't hurt. And yes, the fact that a hero of mine held that exact bat while dueling with a pitcher is very, very cool.

Comment

Working...