PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions From a Newbie to the Hobby

colts900
05-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Hey guys I am new to the GU hobby and had a few questions. I was wondering where most of you buy your stuff. I am mostly interested in football game used. Also I was wondering how do you know if something is completely authentic. Thanks for the help!

skier14
05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, there are a lot of people out there that do forge products, and more and more of them are appearing. The people on this forum are very good at catching people like this. There are several experts on certain specific topics that can catch things. Photomatching is one of the only sure ways to guarantee that a product was game used. Photomatching is matching the item to an in-game photo based on unique characteristics. You can find items on a lot of sports auction sites and ebay as well.

Thanks,
Dustin

JasonBanz
05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
First off, let me say welcome to the forum! This forum is a great tool for probably the greatest hobby in the world. I too am strictly a football collector only. I get my items from several places. Ebay, auction houses, and different websites for the game used hobby.

The biggest way you can find if something is authentic is by photomatch. Don't take COA's(certificate of authenticity) or LOA's(Letters of authenticity) too serious because there can be faked items. I would take a jersey anyday with a photomatch, then a jersey with a COA or LOA without a photomatch.

Fnazxc0114
05-16-2010, 07:56 PM
there are guys on here like birdbats who have a website that you can atleast verify the diff't types of bats that were used during specific periods, id be willing to bet somebody out there has a database of what to look for. Its best to educate yourself first, welcome to the forum also.

JasonBanz
05-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Here's a thread that's close to the top, but I'll paste the thread anyway. A good thread on not trusting LOA's

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35286

TriplexXxSports
05-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey guys I am new to the GU hobby and had a few questions. I was wondering where most of you buy your stuff. I am mostly interested in football game used. Also I was wondering how do you know if something is completely authentic. Thanks for the help!

Welcome aboard. As the others have stated, there are many good places to get legit gear (auction houses, eBay, NFL Auctions, etc.). However, I cannot express to you enough to do your homework. Take your time while you research. Don't get in a hurry b/c you have to have the item "NOW". You will overlook subtle details and it will bite you in the ass in the end.

There are many resources available to search photo archives to find matches. I know there is a couple of threads on here with some sites, and I have a list of them on my web page, as well - the more well known sites.

It is nice to have another football collector around here. It seems that we are swamped with baseball buffs (no pun intended) so we need all the help we can get to keep our threads in circulation.

If you ever have any questions in regards to Chicago Bears stuff, feel free to contact myself, or another member - 34swtns (aka Sir Richard). We will be glad to help. Between the 2 of us we have the last few decades covered.

Good luck in your search - ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK - and don't hesitate to ask questions.

colts900
05-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Thanks guys. Triplex your website is a huge help.

legaleagle92481
05-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Welcome to the hobby and the board. Where to shop depends on what your looking for, high end, low end, in the middle, a little bit of everything? NFl auctions and Jo sports are great places to get NFL stuff but you will pay a premium if you buy directly from those sources. The best thing to do is wait for them to hit the secondary market on EBay or in an auction house auction. JO consigns stuff to Grey Flannel auctions on a regular basis even. Here is an example JO wants 2,600 for a Brandon Marshall jersey on their site. They consigned one to the last Grey Flannel auction and I got it for about $800 before the BP. On Ebay I got a Jared Allen jersey that JO sells for over 2 grand for an even grand from a third party. Jo also has sales and special offers at times. For NFL auctions people bid alot for stuff buy it then try to sell it and when they cant get what they paid drop the price. As far as knowing if something is completely authentic there is never a way to be 100 percent sure unless the player hands you the jersey off his back. Also MEigray has Eagles jerseys and Steiner Sports has Cowboys jerseys. However, buying from a trusted source and as others say doing your homework can make it so you are as sure as you can possibly be that the item is authentic.

Rob L
05-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the hobby!! It's fun, but as you can tell, you do need to be careful. Again, ask alot of questions. Even though I collect only baseball, I have compiled a webpage with a ton of game used resources for all sports as well as a page with collectors, by their sites as well as the team and players they collect. They should be able to help with most questions you may have. Have a blast.