PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Wade Boggs Autographed Game Used All-Star Bat~C235

cjosefy
07-10-2006, 12:32 PM
This looks like an interesting bat. Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1989-Wade-Boggs-Autographed-Game-Used-All-Star-Bat-C235_W0QQitemZ330004776264QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60596 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sportscentury
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
What color was the ink on the baseballs used in the 1989 All Star Game?

Reid

ironmanfan
07-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I have known the seller for over 15 years and can attest to his solid relationship with Boggs (seller is a professional photographer who took a lot of pictures and traded them for autographs & GU equipment from Boggs & other Sox players from that era). As a matter of fact, I had a picture of Boggs & Ripken from one of those Pepsi All-Star Softball games that he took and had Boggs sign for me (and I have since added Ripken).

sportscentury
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
What color was the ink on the baseballs used in the 1989 All Star Game?

Reid

The bat looks like an outstanding example of a Boggs gamer. I have answered my own question, though, as to the color of the ink of the 1989 All Star Game baseballs.

GameBats
07-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Nice Bat.... Would have been GREAT if red ball marks covered the barrel. Can anyone explain the black ball marks? Thanks, John

GameBats
07-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Jim Caravello (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/),

Any Ideas other than Spring Training use that would explain the black ball marks on the barrel?

JimCaravello
07-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi Game bats - most of the black marks you are seeing are from the Louisville smearing from use. I have spoken to the seller and he was a photographer for the Red Sox. Boggs gave him the bat at season end and the bat was used in the second half of the season. He didn't know if it was used in the All Star Game - but its definitely an AS bat - Boggs has the other bat issued to him. A nice piece for sure. Jim

byergo
07-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Nice bat, and I like the way the price point is rising, especially since this appears to NOT be Boggs gamer from the actual All Star game (looks like Blue marks below Boggs auto instead of red/pink color from the 1989 All Star official game ball). As the owner of Bo's bat from the 1989 All Star game I wouldn't consider selling it for anything south of $5,000. The black smear marks on the reverse of the bat are from the smudging of the giant "LOUISVILLE" lettering. My only concern with the Boggs bat is that I was told that MLB banned these bats for having the huge "LOUISVILLE" on the reverse, so how could he have used the bat during the 2nd half of the season?

BTW--If I remember correctly Boggs homered right after Bo's monster 448 foot blast, so whomever owns Boggs actual 1989 All Star game bat also has a Boggs homerun bat!

GameBats
07-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi Jim,

I emailed the sellar and he confirmed black ball marks on the barrel. Do you think he is confusing the smearing with black ball marks? Did you speak with Boggs and confirm he has the other bat? Is there any chance more than two of this style bats were produced. Thanks in advance, I value your opinion.

JimCaravello
07-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm kind of bidding against myself here so to speak, as I am the high bidder on the bat...........

These bats were banned after the 1989 season, as they were also produced for the post season in addition to the All Star Game......

This bat could very well have been used in the All Star Game - it is quite possible that Boggs used this and hit a ball not on the colored lettering - very possible.......

Only two bats were provided to Boggs for the All Star Game...........

Jim

GameBats
07-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks Jim for your honest reply. Not to worry, I'm not interested in purchasing the bat. Just trying to gain some knowledge.

John

byergo
07-15-2006, 08:48 PM
You are right Jim. They also used them for the 1989 World Series as well. Forgot that I saw a 1989 World Series Rickey Henderson bat that was black with a large white "LOUISVILLE." Congrats on the win! Heck of a bat, and historically significant!

JimCaravello
07-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks Guys - no complaints here on winning the bat. Looks like the underbidder was noted Bat Authenticator & Dealer - John Taube.

I knew that when I became a member of the site and was asked to be a contributing Expert that there would be times that I would be bidding on an item in auction in which I would need to share information about that bat and I have no problem doing that. I did the same thing with the recent Thurman Munson bat on ebay. I was bidding on that bat and I probably drove the price up by even posting that the bat was on ebay in the wrong section.

I am not a dealer - the Boggs is going on the wall in the house - and I am glad this thread was started, as this is one of those little topics about late 80's Louisville Slugger bats that you don't hear about that often. This is great info that all collectors should know about.

Actually - John's bid validates my purchase, as you know he was not going to put the bat on his wall! It would be placed on his website in a few weeks - or he already had a buyer for it.

I once owned a 1986 Boggs All Star Bat - a two tone Adirondack model that was hammered with use. I got sick earlier this week as I watched some highlights of previous All Star games and the 1986 highlights were on EPSN. Boggs was at the plate with what appeared to be the bat I owned. I bought that bat many years ago for $1,000. I sold it on ebay to John Taube for around $1,300 - $1,400 if I remember correctly. He then sold it for a little over $2,000 off his site.

I am not going to make the same mistake this time.................

Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

ChrisCavalier
07-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I knew that when I became a member of the site and was asked to be a contributing Expert that there would be times that I would be bidding on an item in auction in which I would need to share information about that bat and I have no problem doing that. I did the same thing with the recent Thurman Munson bat on ebay. I was bidding on that bat and I probably drove the price up by even posting that the bat was on ebay in the wrong section.
Thanks Jim. I think this is really a testament to the unselfish way you are trying to help the hobby. I'm really thankful you are part of this site and as Kramer would say on Seinfeld "Good karma for you!"

Sincerely,
Chris