PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Slugger bat question

sylbry
07-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I saw a couple bats on ebay listed as gamers from the 1986 to 89 era that have the registered trademark circle next to the model number. Does this mean anything specifically (other than the obvious that the model number is trademarked by LS.) From what I can remember all gamers from those years have a trademark circle next to the words "Louisville Slugger," not the model number. I can't find any information on this.

sylbry
07-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Here is an example from a different period. Why is there a registered trademark circle next to the "S2" model number?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Game-Used-Wagner-H-B-Baseball-Bat-NICE_W0QQitemZ180007216222QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60596 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

metsbats
07-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Here is an example from a different period. Why is there a registered trademark circle next to the "S2" model number?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Game-Used-Wagner-H-B-Baseball-Bat-NICE_W0QQitemZ180007216222QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60596 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just dug out an old email from Vince Malta when I questioned a "TM" next to the K55 on one of my 72-75 HB bats. He wrote:

"As for the TM on the K55, those are the initials for "trademark". Louisville Slugger trademarked its K55 model number sometime during this period. Many K55 bats now there the "r" with a circle around it, signifying "registered trademark" and of course is at the barrel end of bat above the player's name, whereas your bat should have the K55 stamped on the knob"

So we can assume that the model number is a registered trademark.

-David

metsbats
07-14-2006, 07:12 PM
I just dug out an old email from Vince Malta when I questioned a "TM" next to the K55 on one of my 72-75 HB bats. He wrote:

"As for the TM on the K55, those are the initials for "trademark". Louisville Slugger trademarked its K55 model number sometime during this period. Many K55 bats now there the "r" with a circle around it, signifying "registered trademark" and of course is at the barrel end of bat above the player's name, whereas your bat should have the K55 stamped on the knob"

So we can assume that the model number is a registered trademark.

-David

Oh but to answer you rreal question I would guess making a model number a registered trade mark will prevent any other brand of bats maker from using that same model number on their bats.