PDA

View Full Version : Did I just get the PUJOLS steal of the century?

steelpenguin
05-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Greetings everybody. I’m new here, but hardly a new collector of game used items. I found the site while trying to find examples to photo match this Pujols item on eBay that I just won. Since I discovered the site, I figured that I would join, and I plan on doing the full subscription here very soon.

Anyway, back to this Pujols thing. The listing just ended and IF this is real … I JUST LANDED THE PUJOLS STEAL OF THE CENTURY I think.

The only reason I placed a bid is because I was able to find examples of Pujols game used hat with the 5 written in the same place and same way under the bill. Based on that, this was worth the shot.

If there are any Pujols collectors out there, please let me know what you think. I’m going to continue to do my homework on this and authenticate this. For the price, it’s well worth the shot that this is legit. My fingers are crossed that it is. I’m more of a hockey jersey collector, so I am not up to snuff on New Era models and years of manufacturing and things, but I figured that this was a once in a lifetime kinda shot … so I went for it. For less that $60 delivered this may be as close as I’ll ever get to winning the lottery.

If this is real, I can’t even calculate a price on this thing … FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Anyway, here is the listing ….

2006 Albert Pujols Cardinals Game Used Worn WS Hat! NR! – ITEM # 260604573763

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260604573763&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_928

Now, somebody please confirm this and tell me that I just added an incredible piece to my personal collection. If this is legit … I will freak out! Literally. Lol

PS: For the purpose of other members, I am a HUGE Pittsburgh Penguins & Pirates collector. If there are any other Yinzers or WVU folks on here, please say hello! Thanks.

randyjbeck
05-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Seems pretty dirty on the inside for only 3 Cardinal home games during the world series but I dont know anything about hats and I guess they could have put patches on regular season hats but I wouldnt think so.

steelpenguin
05-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Seems pretty dirty on the inside for only 3 Cardinal home games during the world series but I dont know anything about hats and I guess they could have put patches on regular season hats but I wouldnt think so.

I know ... I agree (as does the seller). But, I have seen during the World Series in years past that they did indeed add the patch on the side of the hats for the guys that are "attached" to their gamer hats from the season. Those dirty gamers stick out during the World Series and I have heard them talk about the patches and how they add them for the players during WS games before. So, who knows?

Based on that, one would think that it would be an easy photo match, BUT it's hard to find a photo from the 2006 World Series that does not have Albert batting. I've Google'd it every possible way that I can think of and I have yet to find a large enough detailed photo that shows Pujols fielding.

If anybody has a photo or knows of one, please add the link or contact me, as I will be happy to give you my email address. Thanks.

LastingsMilledge85
05-21-2010, 11:35 PM

I don't think they would take a regular season hat and sew a patch on it for the World Series, since they get gross quickly and hats are so cheap and a dime a dozen to the players, so all players get new hats for the WS, unless you're Joba Chamberlain. That's all I can say on hats. Steelpenguin, Good luck on the hat but remember in this hobby, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

steelpenguin
05-21-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think they would take a regular season hat and sew a patch on it for the World Series, since they get gross quickly and hats are so cheap and a dime a dozen to the players, so all players get new hats for the WS, unless you're Joba Chamberlain. That's all I can say on hats. Steelpenguin, Good luck on the hat but remember in this hobby, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Oh ya ... I know. But, this was that one time that it was worth the shot. We'll soon find out if it is. Till this thing lands in my hands, the best that I can do is compare and research as I am. The next step will be driving to St. Louis when it gets here I think (and thank goodness that I have a contact with the Cardinals).

But, anyway you are right. I know the "too good to be true rule" ... as the seconds ticked down on that auction and it was still reasonable, I took a chance. Columbus took a chance once, look what he found (and please don't turn that quote into a civics debate anybody ... lol).

spartakid
05-22-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm by no means a hat expert, but the smearing of ink appears (at least to me) that someone may have removed one number and then added Pujols' #5. Like I said, not an expert, but this is probably why the hat stayed so low. Just a red flag for me, as well as some of the other things that have been mentioned.

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Well, I just figured out another way to match this ... I just got the 2006 World Series highlight DVD for less that $5 on eBay. Video match is always good, right?

Ugh ... I can't wait to examine this thing. I can't wait for it to get here.

LastingsMilledge85
05-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Here's your best evidence as of now
http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=27718

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Here's your best evidence as of now
http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=27718

Thanks ... I've seen that on eBay and Google. It's just not detailed enough with the DPI reduction. Thanks though. I appreciate the help. BTW - I love your handle. LET'S GO BUCS!

STLHAMMER32
05-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Hey fellas, I sold the hat and now know what the other side of a bargain feels like.Usually I am the one searching for the deals, but the being on the other end isn't the best feeling. Although I think it is a stretch to think it is the World Series hat he wore in the games, it sold for very cheap and have some seller remorse. Ebay lately has been a bargain bin of sorts from some of the deals I've seen.

The main concern that I had was the amount of use. It looks like he has seen more wear than a couple of games so I did not think it was consistent from what I have seen from other WS gamers. I have owned a couple of Pujols game hats and this one matched up well with everyone I had seen or owned. Hats are extremely difficult to authenticate and without knowing the history of the hat it makes it almost impossible but the characteristics all looked right to me. The WS patch is a bit of a mystery to me .As far as I know the players are usually issued World Series hats, I wonder how many and if players put the patches on other hats as well. I couldn't find a photo that gave a real good view of the one he wore in the home games but there is quite a bit of use on the hat which certainly gave me doubt to the possibilty of it being one used on the field for the WS.

To address Sparta's concern, I don't think anyone messed with the ink and changed the number. It looks like the ink has just bled and is lined up with the 5.

Good luck with the match attempts, I will send out the hat so you can examine it. I think its a small chance but if it turns out to be the one actually worn for the World Series I will throw up first :eek: and then want see it for myself! Go Cards!

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Hey fellas, I sold the hat and now know what the other side of a bargain feels like.Usually I am the one searching for the deals, but the being on the other end isn't the best feeling. Although I think it is a stretch to think it is the World Series hat he wore in the games, it sold for very cheap and have some seller remorse. Ebay lately has been a bargain bin of sorts from some of the deals I've seen.

The main concern that I had was the amount of use. It looks like he has seen more wear than a couple of games so I did not think it was consistent from what I have seen from other WS gamers. I have owned a couple of Pujols game hats and this one matched up well with everyone I had seen or owned. Hats are extremely difficult to authenticate and without knowing the history of the hat it makes it almost impossible but the characteristics all looked right to me. The WS patch is a bit of a mystery to me .As far as I know the players are usually issued World Series hats, I wonder how many and if players put the patches on other hats as well. I couldn't find a photo that gave a real good view of the one he wore in the home games but there is quite a bit of use on the hat which certainly gave me doubt to the possibilty of it being one used on the field for the WS.

To address Sparta's concern, I don't think anyone messed with the ink and changed the number. It looks like the ink has just bled and is lined up with the 5.

Good luck with the match attempts, I will send out the hat so you can examine it. I think its a small chance but if it turns out to be the one actually worn for the World Series I will throw up first :eek: and then want see it for myself! Go Cards!

Well, thanks again. I can't wait to get it. I'm in the throes of planning a trip to St. Louis as we speak. One way or the other, this will get authenticated (and hopefully sooner than later). In fact I am trying to get this into Albert's hands to get the story straight from the source (and it helps to know a few folks at times like these). Hopefully I can get that worked out so I can head up and see what the man himself thinks. That's gonna be the key. We'll find out.

In the meantime, I am going to be delving into video, photos, and baseball cards trying to get any matching evidence. Stay tuned and thanks for the post. Good luck on that other ball as well. Believe me when I tell ya, I've been there. And for what it's worth, I am as shocked as you are here. Honestly, if it were not for your feedback and what I know about McGuire bats, I would have never messed with this auction. You hit a credible mark in my book on that listing alone. Goes to show how feedback can play a role in things. Just odd how things work out I guess?

BTW ... and this is off-topic on my own thread, but it's a shame what eBay has been reduced to. Too many clueless sellers for one thing (low ball pricing and people willing to lose money on general items devalues so much quality stuff; like the real/licensed authentic jerseys vs the Asian knock-offs are a great example). Another problem is eBay is flooded with junk. It's getting harder and harder to search for good items or actually search for what you are looking for without sifting through tons of non-related items with similar descriptions. I had items that did not sell last week that had "2" page views. Granted that was for a few cards, but something that get's listed at an auction and nobody sees it? Clearly there is just too much stuff on eBay and it's hard to sift through it all. EBay is weird and at times like this, it's bizarre! I understand your end, as with an item like this one would not think that it would not get a few more bids. Again, that's why I jumped in late. This one was just worth the shot. That's eBay ... for better or worse, that's eBay.

kellsox
05-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Don't know much about Pujols/Cardinals items but I owned several Red Sox MLB authenticated hats from the 07 Series and it appeared theay they were regular season hats in which the WS patch was added.
k

joelsabi
05-22-2010, 11:29 AM
The only reason I placed a bid is because I was able to find examples of Pujols game used hat with the 5 written in the same place and same way under the bill. Based on that, this was worth the shot.

Here is the example I found of the 5 under the bill. What do your examples look like?

I think it will assist people looking into buying a Pujols hat in the future

Fnazxc0114
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I feel your pain i recently sold something on here really cheap, not because i needed the money but because it didnt fit in my collection. Trsent somehow ended up with it and tried selling the item on ebay. He made 8 bucks on the deal and probably lost money after shipping.

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Here is the example I found of the 5 under the bill. What do your examples look like?

I think it will assist people looking into buying a Pujols hat in the future

I found a few that were listed on various auction sites via google. All of them were the same way with the 5 and 7 1/4 as well. Other clues I looked for was the fabric under the bill in the actual WS photos was indeed the same color as well. I'll have to re-google some of those pics and post them or the links for all to take a peek at. Based on what I was able to find and the clues adding as positive evidence, I gave it a shot. Thanks for the post as it's a most helpful example. Thanks!

PS: This thread at the very least may indeed become the unofficial textbook for Pujols lids. It's going to get interesting I think.

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Don't know much about Pujols/Cardinals items but I owned several Red Sox MLB authenticated hats from the 07 Series and it appeared theay they were regular season hats in which the WS patch was added.
k

Thanks for the heads up on that ... and again you are right. When doing research on this hat, being able to find Sox pics of WS game hats that were plenty dirty gave me some hope and confidence. Based on that alone, I knew that there was a good chance that they still added the patches to the used hats. In my mind, if they did it in 2007, why not 2006?

Anyway, thanks for the post; VERY HELPFUL. The validation on my logic makes me feel better if nothing else. lol

LastingsMilledge85
05-22-2010, 03:48 PM
The bend on the brim doesn't match up on the photo, but someone could have altered after. I have a game used regular season cap and I'm sure it was used for many games and it doesn't show much use. I don't think they take regular season caps and so patches on to them for the WS. Last year everyone had brand new caps for the WS because the patch on them is sewn on differently than on a jersey. Joba last WS wore a cap from the 2008 season and it showed tremendous use.

Birdbats
05-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I really hate to be the curmudgeon here, but knowing how Albert tends to keep almost all of his game-used stuff, I would be absolutely shocked if his WS cap isn't in his closet. If he did decide to let it go, it surely would have been sold or auctioned through his foundation and would have accompanying documentation. For what it's worth, I saw at least two WS caps allegedly belonging to Albert for sale on Craig's List a year or two ago. Unless this is one of those caps, that would make three Pujols gamers offered that I know of. I hope Albert looks at your hat and says, "That's my gamer!" But, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I really hate to be the curmudgeon here, but knowing how Albert tends to keep almost all of his game-used stuff, I would be absolutely shocked if his WS cap isn't in his closet. If he did decide to let it go, it surely would have been sold or auctioned through his foundation and would have accompanying documentation. For what it's worth, I saw at least two WS caps allegedly belonging to Albert for sale on Craig's List a year or two ago. Unless this is one of those caps, that would make three Pujols gamers offered that I know of. I hope Albert looks at your hat and says, "That's my gamer!" But, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I hope so as well. Hence why I am trying to get it directly into HIS hands to find out. I've been around too many years. I don't even trust PSA on this kinda stuff. I've worked in pro sports as well, so I understand that end of it too. I guess that's why I want to get it directly to him to find out if this is indeed "IT" or it's just a nice hat to cut the grass in? With an item like this, I'm kinda glad that it ended in my hands because either it's gonna be authenticated without question or it won't ever see the light of day again and this item will never re-enter the hobby in some bizarre way for somebody else to try and figure it out.

But, I agree ... I know how things like this would either be kept or whatever. The seller did say that he purchased this from a person "close to Albert" and they did not want to disclose themselves due to "embarrassment" of some kind. Again, having a background working in sports makes me think that perhaps Pujols should be the one to look at this hat, because if he gave this to somebody he trusted and they in-turn sold it, then why? For all I know, worst case scenario it’s stolen or something? I’ve heard plenty of stories working in sports of employees going rogue and cashing out when given the chance when nobody is looking. Or then again, if Pujols gave this to a friend and they have fallen on hard times then maybe it’s a good thing he learns that too? Whatever the case, if this is real, the story behind it should be known and not hidden forever. I just hope that this is not one of those "the clubbie misplaced it" stories and it was sold in the down-low. That kinda thing has happened before.

I hope that this thing is indeed real. I think so far that there is enough coincidental evidence that it could be real. Now if it is, we need the story on it and I’ll probably ask him to sign it. If it belongs to him in some way, it’s his. So whatever the outcome in this thing, I’ll do the right thing and move on. If it’s a fake, then we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. But again, and with all due respect to PSA and their fine services aside, to me with an item like this there is only way to find out and that’s to head up to St. Louis and say hello to #5 himself and find out direct.

I am glad that I have a direct contact with the Cardinals staff and I am working to arrange a time that I can drive up there once I get this thing into my hands. In the meantime, I’ll be searching for any photo and video evidence that can substantiate this in order to further authenticate it. To me this process is the only way to authenticate something as rare as this. If it’s legit, the player himself needs to say that it’s authentic and there needs to be photo or video someplace showing some kinda exact match. How could one play in a World Series without having some kinda photo or video showing some good evidence?

At least I have this in perspective. At least I’m not one of those sending it off to PSA hoping somebody there thinks it looks nice and puts a sticker on it. I’ve produced memorabilia for more than one of the teams that I’ve worked for in the past and I personally believe that authentication should be a bit more stringent than just placing a hologram on something. Unless PSA does what I am trying to do here with virtually every item (esp the high end stuff) then it’s not enough in my opinion.

Anyway … that’s my take on it. It’s kinda neat to be “on the case” here. It’s a very low risk / high reward scenario I guess. There is just something in my gut that tells me there is something about this hat and some kinda story to it. It’s now my job to find out what that it. Gimme a few weeks here, we’ll get ‘er figured out. STAY TUNED!

STLHAMMER32
05-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I hope so as well. Hence why I am trying to get it directly into HIS hands to find out. I've been around too many years. I don't even trust PSA on this kinda stuff. I've worked in pro sports as well, so I understand that end of it too. I guess that's why I want to get it directly to him to find out if this is indeed "IT" or it's just a nice hat to cut the grass in? With an item like this, I'm kinda glad that it ended in my hands because either it's gonna be authenticated without question or it won't ever see the light of day again and this item will never re-enter the hobby in some bizarre way for somebody else to try and figure it out.

But, I agree ... I know how things like this would either be kept or whatever. The seller did say that he purchased this from a person "close to Albert" and they did not want to disclose themselves due to "embarrassment" of some kind. Again, having a background working in sports makes me think that perhaps Pujols should be the one to look at this hat, because if he gave this to somebody he trusted and they in-turn sold it, then why? For all I know, worst case scenario it’s stolen or something? I’ve heard plenty of stories working in sports of employees going rogue and cashing out when given the chance when nobody is looking. Or then again, if Pujols gave this to a friend and they have fallen on hard times then maybe it’s a good thing he learns that too? Whatever the case, if this is real, the story behind it should be known and not hidden forever. I just hope that this is not one of those "the clubbie misplaced it" stories and it was sold in the down-low. That kinda thing has happened before.

I hope that this thing is indeed real. I think so far that there is enough coincidental evidence that it could be real. Now if it is, we need the story on it and I’ll probably ask him to sign it. If it belongs to him in some way, it’s his. So whatever the outcome in this thing, I’ll do the right thing and move on. If it’s a fake, then we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. But again, and with all due respect to PSA and their fine services aside, to me with an item like this there is only way to find out and that’s to head up to St. Louis and say hello to #5 himself and find out direct.

I am glad that I have a direct contact with the Cardinals staff and I am working to arrange a time that I can drive up there once I get this thing into my hands. In the meantime, I’ll be searching for any photo and video evidence that can substantiate this in order to further authenticate it. To me this process is the only way to authenticate something as rare as this. If it’s legit, the player himself needs to say that it’s authentic and there needs to be photo or video someplace showing some kinda exact match. How could one play in a World Series without having some kinda photo or video showing some good evidence?

At least I have this in perspective. At least I’m not one of those sending it off to PSA hoping somebody there thinks it looks nice and puts a sticker on it. I’ve produced memorabilia for more than one of the teams that I’ve worked for in the past and I personally believe that authentication should be a bit more stringent than just placing a hologram on something. Unless PSA does what I am trying to do here with virtually every item (esp the high end stuff) then it’s not enough in my opinion.

Anyway … that’s my take on it. It’s kinda neat to be “on the case” here. It’s a very low risk / high reward scenario I guess. There is just something in my gut that tells me there is something about this hat and some kinda story to it. It’s now my job to find out what that it. Gimme a few weeks here, we’ll get ‘er figured out. STAY TUNED!

Unfortunately I did not receive it directly from the pujols source. It exchanged hands a few times and I was not able to find out any names or anything that could link the hat. What I saw with the hat was consistent use from Albert that I had seen on other hats. It may have had the patch put on a Pujols gamer is what my guess was. To have been used in the World Series is pretty unlikely from what I saw but we will find out!

xpress34
05-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Just my .02 here...

I own Matt Holliday's 2007 GU WS Hat (Purple Brim - they wore the all black for one game) and Matt has verified it as his hat (has Rockies LOA) and signed and inscribed it for me. He also said he only wore the one Purple Brim hat for the three games they wore them and it shows LOTS of use... like Matt and Albert, I keep my head shaved and I can tell you that with just normal wear - not working up a sweat - my hats can get game used looking quickly as a shaved head sweat more inside the hat than when I grow out my hair.

As far as the 5, I have a GU Rookie hat of Pujols (signed and inscribed ROY '01) that I will post pictures of later for you to compare.

As far as the WS patch, I'm not sure what year they changed, but by 2006 (at least on AS Game hat), they had gone to the new style patches that appear 'built into the hat' rather than sewn on. I'll post pictures of examples of those later as well.

Best of luck on your acquisition!

- Chris

rj_lucas
05-23-2010, 07:23 PM
To echo Jeff’s sentiments, I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade, but there is reason to doubt that this cap was worn by Pujols in the 2006 World Series.

As Jeff noted, there have been two previously offered caps (both home caps) that were alleged to have been worn by Albert in the 2006 World Series. I own one of them.

I make no definitive claim regarding whether my (or any other cap) was or was not worn by Albert. The only thing I can state with certainty is that both of the previously offered caps feature the World Series patch and both were signed by Albert.

The cap I own includes a Letter of Provenance from Albert’s cousin Wilfredo Pujols stating it was worn by Albert during the 2006 World Series. An additional document shows Wil holding the Game 3 and 4 signed home caps (see below; mine is the cap on the left).

I was told Albert did not know which cap came from Game 3 and which from Game 4, but that he retained his cap from Game 5. I have reviewed the DVDs and the patch placement on the cap I own appears to match the cap worn in Game 4.

Over the years, numerous items have entered the hobby with claims of having been given by Albert to Wil. Some items were, but many more clearly were not. Based on the photograph of Wil and his signatures on the LOP and accompanying document (as corroborated by his signed instructional league card), I can state with certainty that the previously offered caps did, in fact, originate with Wilfredo Pujols.

Of course, this in and of itself does not prove the caps were worn by Albert. But having collected Albert Pujols game used items since 2001, I can tell you it is exceptionally rare for an item to come directly from Albert (as opposed to the Cardinals clubhouse for example) without having been signed first. Presumably he does this for the same reason as Mark McGwire -- to ensure the authenticity of items attributed to him. I would be stunned to see any game worn World Series item come from Albert without a signature.

Again, I offer this information not to deflate anyone’s hopes, but to add additional perspective. If I can answer any questions or provide more information please feel free to contact me directly. Regards.

Rick Lucas
rickjlucas@gmail.com (rickjlucas@gmail.com)

steelpenguin
05-23-2010, 08:28 PM
To echo Jeff’s sentiments, I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade, but there is reason to doubt that this cap was worn by Pujols in the 2006 World Series.

As Jeff noted, there have been two previously offered caps (both home caps) that were alleged to have been worn by Albert in the 2006 World Series. I own one of them.

I make no definitive claim regarding whether my (or any other cap) was or was not worn by Albert. The only thing I can state with certainty is that both of the previously offered caps feature the World Series patch and both were signed by Albert.

The cap I own includes a Letter of Provenance from Albert’s cousin Wilfredo Pujols stating it was worn by Albert during the 2006 World Series. An additional document shows Wil holding the Game 3 and 4 signed home caps (see below; mine is the cap on the left).

I was told Albert did not know which cap came from Game 3 and which from Game 4, but that he retained his cap from Game 5. I have reviewed the DVDs and the patch placement on the cap I own appears to match the cap worn in Game 4.

Over the years, numerous items have entered the hobby with claims of having been given by Albert to Wil. Some items were, but many more clearly were not. Based on the photograph of Wil and his signatures on the LOP and accompanying document (as corroborated by his signed instructional league card), I can state with certainty that the previously offered caps did, in fact, originate with Wilfredo Pujols.

Of course, this in and of itself does not prove the caps were worn by Albert. But having collected Albert Pujols game used items since 2001, I can tell you it is exceptionally rare for an item to come directly from Albert (as opposed to the Cardinals clubhouse for example) without having been signed first. Presumably he does this for the same reason as Mark McGwire -- to ensure the authenticity of items attributed to him. I would be stunned to see any game worn World Series item come from Albert without a signature.

Again, I offer this information not to deflate anyone’s hopes, but to add additional perspective. If I can answer any questions or provide more information please feel free to contact me directly. Regards.

Rick Lucas
rickjlucas@gmail.com (rickjlucas@gmail.com)

Thanks for the post. That's very good info to have. I'd love to see some more pictures of the hat that you have; inside and under the bill just to see what it looks like. If you get a chance, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

xpress34
05-24-2010, 12:00 AM
As promised, here's the pics of my two hats for reference...

1st, the 2001 GU Pujols hat w/ ROY inscription... notice the staining inside the bill from use and the sweatband, but no running of the #5:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Misc194.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Misc195.jpg

And here is the Holliday GU 2007 WS Hat - only used for 3 games, but shows lots of sweat 'equity' on the sweatband, etc:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Misc196.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Misc197.jpg

Hope this helps...

- Chris

tigerdale
05-24-2010, 10:53 AM
here's an example of Curtis Grandersons 2006 world series hat...photo of him wearing hat was taken in May of 2006...photos of just hat are his world series home hat...same hat!! So yes, players did have patch put on regular season hat if they wanted...

mbrieve
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
here's an example of Curtis Grandersons 2006 world series hat...photo of him wearing hat was taken in May of 2006...photos of just hat are his world series home hat...same hat!! So yes, players did have patch put on regular season hat if they wanted...
Another photo of that hat:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/mlb.curtis.granderson.pictures/content.12.html

steelpenguin
05-28-2010, 09:49 PM
UPDATE: I got the hat earlier today and just took pictures. I will post a few very soon so you guys can take a peek. Thanks.

steelpenguin
05-28-2010, 10:08 PM
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/SteelPenguin5/06%20WS%20Hat/p6.jpg

steelpenguin
05-28-2010, 10:08 PM
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/SteelPenguin5/06%20WS%20Hat/p14.jpg

steelpenguin
05-28-2010, 10:10 PM
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/SteelPenguin5/06%20WS%20Hat/p11.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/SteelPenguin5/06%20WS%20Hat/p11.jpg

steelpenguin
05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/SteelPenguin5/06%20WS%20Hat/p13.jpg

steelpenguin
05-28-2010, 10:16 PM
... last but not least! There are more pics, but at least this gives everybody an idea of what the hat looks like and what I am dealing with here.

So, there ya have it! Thoughts? Discuss. Pick it apart or praise it. I need some experienced and well educated opinions on this one. ; )

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/SteelPenguin5/06%20WS%20Hat/p12.jpg

Schmoozer
05-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Whatever it is, and short of a photo match (good luck on that one), I'd say Jeff and Rick have basically covered it.

For $50.00 bucks, it looks like you got a fan-used pro model retail hat bought in 2006 when the cards reached the World Series. Someone who knows Pujols "5" (obviously seeing the same pictures we have all seen of his hats) added it to the hat with the intentions of trying to take someone for a ride.

Enjoy the lid, and hold onto your dream. But without a signature, or some kind of identifiable COA from his charity...it is just a dream. No way a Pujols World Series worn lid gets out into public hands without provenance accompanying it. Not these days.

steelpenguin
05-29-2010, 11:00 PM
For $50.00 bucks, it looks like you got a fan-used pro model retail hat bought in 2006 when the cards reached the World Series. Someone who knows Pujols "5" (obviously seeing the same pictures we have all seen of his hats) added it to the hat with the intentions of trying to take someone for a ride.

I wonder if STLHAMMER32 has seen and would like to respond to that ... ? Any thoughts or comments?

STLHAMMER32
05-29-2010, 11:31 PM
This thread may be going in the wrong direction as it was meant for opinions on the Pujols hat. Lets try and not get into any verbal wars that arent needed. I will address Schmoozers comments about his take on the hat....

As far someone adding the '5' to the hat and trying to take someone for a ride comment. I can't speak to whether or not the hat is an authentic gamer with 100% certainty... I can tell you though that it was not me who wrote it. When I looked the hat over it was consistent with all the Pujols hats I had seen. I knew it was a stretch for it to have been worn in the World Series and noted that I didn't think it was consistent for a game or two. The patch could have been added or it could have been an extra hat he got that was given to a family member much like the player model gloves you see past around. It was impossible for me to trace back to a good source and that is why I ultimately decided just sell it. In any case, your have a right to voice an opinion as it was the point of the thread I just hope that you are not implying I tried to take someone for "a ride".

LastingsMilledge85
05-29-2010, 11:41 PM
The bottom line is that the authenticity of the hat does not look so good because of what was said regarding the two hats that were sold were signed and came from a reputable source. That doesn't mean you can dismiss Steel's hat in its entirety until there is some explanation from the man himself (Pujols) or someone within the organization that could go into further detail about the cap. It does help that the present owner does have an "in" with the organization, so best of luck with finding out what needs to be known. Nevertheless, it's probably not the hat, but much wasn't lost and you have a great opportunity to speak to Pujols or someone within the organization.

Jules9
05-30-2010, 11:14 AM
But without a signature, or some kind of identifiable COA from his charity...it is just a dream. No way a Pujols World Series worn lid gets out into public hands without provenance accompanying it. Not these days.

If the hat came with a COA, it still doesn't mean that the hat is real game used item. The COA is just a piece of paper someone could of switched with another hat.

Schmoozer
05-30-2010, 12:21 PM
STLHAMMER32,

I did not mean to insinuate you were the one who may have added the "5". There is no way of knowing anyone else did add the "5". It very well may have been added by Pujols.

I'm just stating the obvious, that it is highly unlikely because there is no provenance associated to the hat. That's all.

LastingsMilledge85,

Especially in our hobby, you shouldn't believe everything you are told. This guy whom the hat originated with has an "in" with the organization? Please. Ever heard of "heresay"? Show me the proof, or zip it, would be my response. Not to mention the fact STLHAMMER32 has stated that it has changed hands a few times. Did someone do a switch-er-roo? I mean, the chain of ownership is broken, thereby leaving the provenance in a total mess.

And in regards to your othercomment, even if the owner of this hat were to present it to Pujols in person, it is my experience that 999 out of 1,000 times, the athlete will claim they just don't know, or worse, the item is NOT theirs. So for Albert Pujols to be the one "hope" steelpenquin has to "authenticate" his $50.00 hat, is a wing and a prayer.

C'mon guys, think about it. Those hats were sold over the counter to anyone at the park or retail stores in 2006 when the cards made the big show. Without a Pujols signature and accompanying photos or charity paperwork, do you REALLY think this hat is HIS?

LastingsMilledge85
05-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I would lay money on it that this hat is not Pujols' hat, but I don't want to bash the owner or former owner in thus case about having a false hat. I don't worry about it that often because when I buy, I only buy my player and do research before I buy. Anyway, yeah I would lay money on it that this isn't the hat, but I don't want to dismiss it in it's entirety. If he has in "in" great and take advantage of it and find out even if it's a waste of time. I just don't appreciate being told something that I said was false when I know what I said and saw. I do look into these things.

xpress34
05-30-2010, 03:46 PM
In reference to the COA just being a piece of paper, that is why with every item I obtain, whether it has it's own COA or not, I make one from my company (C Cubed Productions or Lumber Jack Bat Co.) which includes a info of how it was obtained, etc as well as photo(s) of the EXACT Item so it can be matched to the COA.

Where available, I include pics of me with the player who signed the item (or owned the item) WITH the item in the picture as well.

As an example, here's a pic of Holliday and I with the WS Hat after he personally verified and inscribed it for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Holliday3.jpg

I do wish you the best of luck on this hat, but like I showed on my Pujols Rookie hat earlier, the under bill shows plenty of sweat stains, but the 5 is still intact... the only real difference I could see to make that kind of sweat difference would be him wearing his hair even shorter know (almost shaved) than he did as a rookie. I know when I shave my head rather than buzz it, I sweat a WHOLE lot more in a wool ball cap...

All the best -

Chris

Phil316
03-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Did we ever find out if this was the real deal ?