PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Penguins collectors here?

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Since I'm new here, I figured that I'd ask. I have a few nice gamers and other odds and ends. I collect Baby Pens and Nailers gamers too. Just figured that I would say hello. Anybody else like me on here?

PS: If anybody has any Baby WBS Pens jerseys, I am looking for a #32 Alex Mathieu jersey.

hrvatwill
05-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi steelpenguin, I collect the Pens too (and Pirates among other things). I have five jerseys, including three that are photomatched (Cullen'96; Sykora'09 and Fedotenko'09 Playoffs). I also have an Evgeni Malkin'08 home jersey that was used in the preseason and home opener and an alternate blue Tim Wallace'09 of which I have a picture of him wearing it in a game (but no photomatch). I am always looking to add or sell items from my hockey and baseball collection to adjust it to my current tastes, a never ending quest! Drop me a line if you like at hrvatwill@aol.com.

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi steelpenguin, I collect the Pens too (and Pirates among other things). I have five jerseys, including three that are photomatched (Cullen'96; Sykora'09 and Fedotenko'09 Playoffs). I also have an Evgeni Malkin'08 home jersey that was used in the preseason and home opener and an alternate blue Tim Wallace'09 of which I have a picture of him wearing it in a game (but no photomatch). I am always looking to add or sell items from my hockey and baseball collection to adjust it to my current tastes, a never ending quest! Drop me a line if you like at hrvatwill@aol.com.

AWESOME. I think I may have seen your Malkin on eBay. There was one recently listed and I have a "Community Relations" jersey as well. Kinda neat to have the first one of that style Pens jersey ever worn in a game. The 250 patch is a nice bonus on those. Thanks for the post and it's nice to have the contact, I will be happy to shoot ya an email and connect. It's nice to have a network as I have a few requests for Pens jerseys that I am trying to find for me and a few "pals" as well.

BTW ... I was told that the Pens wore a few of those community jerseys for more than just the preseason and the home opener vs the Ducks. Have you ever heard that? Also, I am looking for pics from that game, any clue where I can find a photomatch source? If you do, please LMK. Thanks.

JasonBanz
05-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am a big Penguins fan and have thought buying a game used Penguins jersey, but my football collection always gets in the way. Plus I can never find a jersey that fits my budget at the time.

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am a big Penguins fan and have thought buying a game used Penguins jersey, but my football collection always gets in the way. Plus I can never find a jersey that fits my budget at the time.

Thanks! And no kidding. The Pens stuff always comes at a premium it seems. I know that of the few things that I have listed on eBay, I get LOTS of low offers on the Pens stuff. Lots of "watchers" and those sniffing for a deal. Only problem is those folks are dealing with a collector and not a "dealer" ... lol. Based on what I pay to get jerseys into my collection, I gotta hold firm esp if it's something that I don't mind keeping around. But, it's funny, I am like you. I sacrifice my Steelers stuff for my Penguins stuff. The Pirates stuff is what it is I guess. I'd have more Steelers stuff, but at times something has to give. I know the Steelers stuff never comes cheap either. It's not easy to collect Pittsburgh .... lol. Welcome to our little Pens club here. Ya never know when a trade or something awaits. It's nice to build the network. LET'S GO PENS!

jobathenut
05-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I am a huge pittsburgh steelers fan.And even though i don't have any "game used" items i have put together a very nice signed and non signed collection.Even though i have been selling it off here and there.I also have a collection of pirates oddball items and a couple of pengiuns items.I used to hate them as a kid but since getting "the kid" they are now my favorite team.Well i should nto say that.Back when they signed my favorite player toby petersen i liked them.And was bummed when they let him go.But when to pittsburgh and got to see him play so that was great.I have his high school jersey and wore it to the game.And he had such a look on his face when he saw me as he just smiled.I used to make a vecation to pittsburgh every year for either a pirates series or steelers game by myself or with my mom but money has not let me do it since 2006.Sue hope to get back there one day.I love that town.

hrvatwill
05-23-2010, 11:16 AM
BTW ... I was told that the Pens wore a few of those community jerseys for more than just the preseason and the home opener vs the Ducks. Have you ever heard that? Also, I am looking for pics from that game, any clue where I can find a photomatch source? If you do, please LMK. Thanks.[/quote]

I hadn't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them were used. As far as photomatching sources go, I would do a search on this site with the key word photomatching and glean some of the sources from older threads as the subject invariably comes up. Gettyimages.com is always my first stop. Good luck!

hrvatwill
05-23-2010, 11:37 AM
AWESOME. I think I may have seen your Malkin on eBay. There was one recently listed and I have a "Community Relations" jersey as well. Kinda neat to have the first one of that style Pens jersey ever worn in a game. The 250 patch is a nice bonus on those. Thanks for the post and it's nice to have the contact, I will be happy to shoot ya an email and connect. It's nice to have a network as I have a few requests for Pens jerseys that I am trying to find for me and a few "pals" as well.

BTW ... I was told that the Pens wore a few of those community jerseys for more than just the preseason and the home opener vs the Ducks. Have you ever heard that? Also, I am looking for pics from that game, any clue where I can find a photomatch source? If you do, please LMK. Thanks.

FYI -- I just checked gettyimages and there are pictures from that game which was played on October 6th, 2007.

JasonBanz
05-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks! And no kidding. The Pens stuff always comes at a premium it seems. I know that of the few things that I have listed on eBay, I get LOTS of low offers on the Pens stuff. Lots of "watchers" and those sniffing for a deal. Only problem is those folks are dealing with a collector and not a "dealer" ... lol. Based on what I pay to get jerseys into my collection, I gotta hold firm esp if it's something that I don't mind keeping around. But, it's funny, I am like you. I sacrifice my Steelers stuff for my Penguins stuff. The Pirates stuff is what it is I guess. I'd have more Steelers stuff, but at times something has to give. I know the Steelers stuff never comes cheap either. It's not easy to collect Pittsburgh .... lol. Welcome to our little Pens club here. Ya never know when a trade or something awaits. It's nice to build the network. LET'S GO PENS!

Thanks man! Good to know there are some Pens fans floating around here. I do agree that Steelers and Penguins stuff is hard to come across. And when you do, its expensive. JO Sports has a Crosby. They were asking $17000 for it and it was reduced to $8000. If I had $8000 to buy game used stuff, I'd have more than one item in my hand. Maybe one day I'll get me a Pens gamer!

jobathenut
05-24-2010, 05:56 PM
If you guys are looking for game used pittsburgh penguins items.You should check out "byrons hockeyland"....The guy who owns it milt is the nicest and greatest person i have met in any hobby.And his web site is just great with a ton of gmae used items from minor to pros.Do i sound like his "pr" man.No i am just a fan.This guy know is buisness.

eagles33
05-24-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm certainly not in the upper echelon of Penguins collectors, but I have a number of Pens gamers in my collection. In addition to Milt, you should also look up Joe Tomon of J&J Distributing, who markets the Pens' current jersey sets. I don't know what the rules are about posting links, but a Google search should turn up his site. You can also email or PM me directly.

And yes, that Community Relations set from 07-08 was initially worn in the preseason as well as the home opener. As I understand it, the NHL had an issue with the placement of the Pittsburgh 250th patch. Consequently, the Pens had to move that patch lower on the sleeve, while lowering the sleeve numbers as well. They didn't want to waste the jerseys from that preseason set, so they were re-tagged and used for player appearances.

The difference is fairly evident if you compare the jerseys from the Community Relations set to the regular-season sets; with the former, the 250th patch is much higher on the shoulder, and the numbers sit higher on the sleeve.