PDA

View Full Version : After 20 years, i finally landed my Dream Bat - MCGWIRE HR BAT !!!!!

panthrotc
05-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Christmas came early. Worked out a deal to bring home the McGwire Bat of my dreams today!!! Did your grandpa want a bat that babe ruth hit a HR with? Did your dad want a bat that Mickey Mantle hit a bomb with?? Well growing up as a little kid and even now into my adult life i have always wanted a McGwire HR bat. They exist, he was known to give them away to teamates,coaches and friends, but they never pop up for sale. Today i obtained a bat that was given to one of his teamates during his final season in 2001. His 2001 bats are already IMPOSSIBLE to find nonetheless a HR bat is just flat out rediculously impossible to obtain. I present to you, the bat of my dreams.....
Career HR # 576 , hit in Cinncinatti on August 21,2001

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac2001002.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac2001004.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac2001006.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac2001005.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac2001011.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac2001012.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac2001013.jpg

panthrotc
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
BTW, the answer is no, i did not pay 24,999$.

metsbats
05-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Great bat! Congrats!

punch
05-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Pretty awesome.

ironmanfan
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Congrats.....Two thoughts:

-details on how you acquired it?

-do you have any pictures or video of him hitting this HR?

Good Job!

IMF

panthrotc
05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Congrats.....Two thoughts:

-details on how you acquired it?

-do you have any pictures or video of him hitting this HR?

Good Job!

IMF

cash and trade.

i don't have any pictures of him hitting the HR. i can't find one on getty. The seller has MLB player connect. The player is still in the pros and was a teammate of Mac's in 01. he got the bat direct from him.

If anyone knows any other picture archive site PLEASE LET ME KNOW

STLHAMMER32
05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
This is probably the nicest Mac bat I have seen in an auction. Congrats! I saw this come up for sale and was very curious as to what it would sell for. I hope you can find a photo of that HR, I actually remember seeing that game I believe. It was hit by a construction area in left center if my memory is correct.

Birdbats
05-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Nice! Congrats!

STLHAMMER32
05-22-2010, 04:02 PM
cash and trade.

i don't have any pictures of him hitting the HR. i can't find one on getty. The seller has MLB player connect. The player is still in the pros and was a teammate of Mac's in 01. he got the bat direct from him.

If anyone knows any other picture archive site PLEASE LET ME KNOW

I found a photo of him batting in 2001 and I think it is at cincinnati. It may be the hr swing but not positive. Could someone give me some advice on posting photos on here?!

gameused
05-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Sweet pick-up! Always Nice to see these kinds of post.

Thanks for sharing your dream bat!

Bobby

panthrotc
05-22-2010, 04:44 PM
I found a photo of him batting in 2001 and I think it is at cincinnati. It may be the hr swing but not positive. Could someone give me some advice on posting photos on here?!

PLEASE POST THE PHOTO or email me it!! Thundercats83@aol.com

I have looked but i can not ANY photos from that game. On getty they have reds phots on august 20th and then not anther one until mid september. why, i do not know. But i looked on getty, yahoo, google, AP, i can not find any photos of mac from this game. HELP!!

STLHAMMER32
05-22-2010, 04:54 PM
I ll give the posting a try......I remember this particular homerun because I was eating at Damons and stayed to watch Macs at bat. I remember him hitting it where there was no stands anymore. He wasn't always in the lineup due to an injury plagued year but I remember watching every at bat that I could. I have several games from 2001 on tape and saved most of the mac HR's. I dont think I recorded this partucular game but I will check the archives lol.

The photo is from 2001 and looks to be cinicinnati's dugout in my opinion....

panthrotc
05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
if you happen to have this HR on tape in the archive i will be in debt forever!! I appreciate the help

rj_lucas
05-25-2010, 08:43 AM
You might try submitting a photo request to Pictopia, who manages the photo archives for the Associated Press:

http://gallery.pictopia.com/ap/requests/

McGwire was well-covered by photographers in those last few years, so you might have a shot at turning something up. Best of luck.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

legaleagle92481
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
It is a very nice bat but to compare it to a Mantle or a Ruth is just absurd. Mac is an admitted cheater who even with the Roids was not near the league of a Mantle or a Ruth, two of the greatest players ever and all he did was hit home runs. He was a lesser version of Harmon Killebrew.

STLHAMMER32
05-25-2010, 10:18 AM
It is a very nice bat but to compare it to a Mantle or a Ruth is just absurd. Mac is an admitted cheater who even with the Roids was not near the league of a Mantle or a Ruth, two of the greatest players ever and all he did was hit home runs. He was a lesser version of Harmon Killebrew.

He is saying by generation those may have been the bats that our grandfathers and fathers wanted. For him HIS dream, not yours, was to own a McGwire hr bat. These bats are extremely scarce, appreciate it for what it is....HIS McGwire dream bat. Why try to over analyze something? Its a great bat and great that he shared with us.

Rob L
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Buzz Kill. Jeez.

yankees24
05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
terrific acquisition, I hope you are able to find a photo match!

rj_lucas
05-25-2010, 11:03 AM

I agree, panthotc should dump it now, even if he has to take a beating on it.

panthrotc, please contact me immediately :D

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

legaleagle92481
05-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Buzz Kill. Jeez.

I admit I was harsh I just cannot stand when anything is compared to a Ruth or Mantle. Or for that matter Mays, Aaron, Montana, Jordan, Gretzky or Ali. IMO those guys are just on another level above even 99.999% of HOFers out there and anything they used just has a different historical signifcance then stuff used by others. It is an amazing bat though and I am very happy for the guy that he got his dream item.

legaleagle92481
05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree, panthotc should dump it now, even if he has to take a beating on it.

panthrotc, please contact me immediately :D

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Lol I didn't mean it that way it just drives me crazy when people overexagerate a player's historical importance. Don't get me wrong it is an awesome bat.

legaleagle92481
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
He is saying by generation those may have been the bats that our grandfathers and fathers wanted. For him HIS dream, not yours, was to own a McGwire hr bat. These bats are extremely scarce, appreciate it for what it is....HIS McGwire dream bat. Why try to over analyze something? Its a great bat and great that he shared with us.

Good points and it is great that he shared it! I just took it that he was touting him as the player of our generation or something as 99.9999% of people agree Ruth was the best of his era and many people say Mantle was the best of his era and I just could not understand how anyone could say that about Big Mac. I am a bit jaded towards Big Mac because I was one of the people who bought stuff from his first Steiner signing and as everyone knows after the roid stuff came out the value of that stuff dropped like Lehman Brothers stock.

panthrotc
05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
rick, thank you very much for the ap link. I submitted it, hopefully i will have some luck. Also thanks for clarifying what i meant about it being my dream bat.

For everyone, I am 27 years old, I first Mark McGwire when i was 7 years old in 1990 at Yankee Stadium. I have seen a bunch of his HR's in person at yankee stadium and at Shea Stadium. I remember sitting in my seat and wanting to run onto the field to grab his bat. You never see them come up for sale. I have never seen 1 ever in an auction. The only other HR bat that i have seen is the one that Jeff from birdbats has that was personalized to Willie Magee that was inscribed HR 52 of 99'. To get this bat is really a dream come true. I knew it was one of those oppertunities that presents itself like for a short time. when i went to pick the bat up in person, the seller told me someone had a made a higher offer then i did the night before. but this was after he commited to selling me the bat. Maybe it helped that i drove 3hrs to pick it up in person. What a great man he was was for not renegging on the deal. Thanks for all the good comments.

And here is a picture that can describe without words to how long i have been wanting one of these.

September 12,1990. BTW, he hit a HR that day as well....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/10x12.jpg

i also saw milestone HR's #400, and 50 & 51 from 98 and then #50 in 99. To finally land a HR bat does not get any better.

yankees24
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
do you know if the Cardinals might sell the bats he uses now as a coach? would you buy that if it was available, or only those used in actual games?

legaleagle92481
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
rick, thank you very much for the ap link. I submitted it, hopefully i will have some luck. Also thanks for clarifying what i meant about it being my dream bat.

For everyone, I am 27 years old, I first Mark McGwire when i was 7 years old in 1990 at Yankee Stadium. I have seen a bunch of his HR's in person at yankee stadium and at Shea Stadium. I remember sitting in my seat and wanting to run onto the field to grab his bat. You never see them come up for sale. I have never seen 1 ever in an auction. The only other HR bat that i have seen is the one that Jeff from birdbats has that was personalized to Willie Magee that was inscribed HR 52 of 99'. To get this bat is really a dream come true. I knew it was one of those oppertunities that presents itself like for a short time. when i went to pick the bat up in person, the seller told me someone had a made a higher offer then i did the night before. but this was after he commited to selling me the bat. Maybe it helped that i drove 3hrs to pick it up in person. What a great man he was was for not renegging on the deal. Thanks for all the good comments.

And here is a picture that can describe without words to how long i have been wanting one of these.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/10x12.jpg

i also saw milestone HR's #400, and 50 & 51 from 98 and then #50 in 99. To finally land a HR bat does not get any better.

Sorry if I came off as raining on your parade, nice photo with Mac and bat!

jscott0688
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Awesome photo! Congrats!

joelsabi
05-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Wow. It must be amazing being that young and watching McGwire hit all those home runs. You deserve that bat. You are an avid fan and can appreciate the bat more than most. Congrats.

panthrotc
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
thanks everyone once again for the kind words. ill post one more pic , this was taken in 2004 at dodger stadium courtest of steiner sports meet and greet. i was able to enlarge the picture to 8x10 and had mac sign at spring training this past march.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/March14th2010007.jpg

skyking26
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
[quote=panthrotc;201992]thanks everyone once again for the kind words. ill post one more pic , this was taken in 2004 at dodger stadium courtest of steiner sports meet and greet. i was able to enlarge the picture to 8x10 and had mac sign at spring training this past march.
What did Mark say about the picture when you had him sign it?

panthrotc
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
[quote=panthrotc;201992]thanks everyone once again for the kind words. ill post one more pic , this was taken in 2004 at dodger stadium courtest of steiner sports meet and greet. i was able to enlarge the picture to 8x10 and had mac sign at spring training this past march.
What did Mark say about the picture when you had him sign it?

he remembered me. i told him who i was, when i followed him to yankee stadium all those years i always told him i was one of his big fans from nj. so when i handed him the photo i was like im the big fan from nj, and he was like heyy! how you been?! it was the reason he stopped. he was drivin out of the players parking lot and saw the pic, and pointed to me and came over and rolled the car window down. he signed for me everyday i was down there. in about 8 games i got 14 autographs from him.

rj_lucas
05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Great photos and great stories. The fact that you saw McGwire hit those home runs as a kid and have those memories are a treasure in and of themselves. Congrats.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

skyking26
05-25-2010, 07:23 PM
[quote=skyking26;201996]

he remembered me. i told him who i was, when i followed him to yankee stadium all those years i always told him i was one of his big fans from nj. so when i handed him the photo i was like im the big fan from nj, and he was like heyy! how you been?! it was the reason he stopped. he was drivin out of the players parking lot and saw the pic, and pointed to me and came over and rolled the car window down. he signed for me everyday i was down there. in about 8 games i got 14 autographs from him.
It is nice to have that interaction over time with a player. I've known Dave Kingman for 18 years. Trust is the key. Dave and his family have known me a long time, and my family know Dave. It's a good thing!

NeonStatus
05-25-2010, 09:49 PM
That's really cool. The next time you see him again tell him what you went through to get a home run bat and how much it means to you.

cjclong
05-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Congratulations on getting the bat. All of us have favorite players, mine was Mantle, and I wish I had a home run bat from him, so I can guess how you feel. As the fact I reference Mantle as a favorite player, I started following baseball before the "steroid era." Some players that I like now have been proved or suspected of using steroids. Just because players like Mantle, Berra and Ford were players I idolized growing up doesn't mean I can't have players I like now who used Steroids. I understand that some people feel very strongly about the use of steroids and have nothing good to say about players who used them, which is their right. But I get tired of those on the forum who feel compelled to make negative comments about a player when someone shares that they are a fan of that player and were really happy to get an item from him they wanted for years. I'm sorry this got off topic because the the only thing that should have been posted here were the comments of those of us who recognize your happiness and are glad you shared it with us. Thanks.

panthrotc
05-26-2010, 02:18 PM
found out today, the player mcgwire gave my bat to was Steve Kline. He actually had a decent season with the Cardinals in 2001. The seller is from Sunbury PA and told me he was good friends with him. Steve Kline is also from Sunbury. Just goes to show, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

panthrotc
07-17-2010, 12:49 AM
i posted this before but i am so pumped, i found footage of the HR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNP1x1Lvtao