PDA

View Full Version : ANNOUNCING: GUU's 2006 Jersey Tagging Contest!!!

ChrisCavalier
07-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

We have heard your requests to work together to create a jersey/tagging photo database that you can access. Since we were 'Created By Collectors...For Collectors' we agree that this is a great idea and we have done a number of things that make this happen. That being said,

We are proud to announce Game Used Universe's 2006 Jersey Tagging Contest!!!

Please find below a copy of a full page ad that will be appearing in the Beckett Elite issue going out tomorrow. While we hope the ad is self-explanatory, please feel free to let us know if you have any questions:

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

gameused
07-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Chris,

I think this jersey/tagging photo database is a great idea but I don't agree with limiting access only to premier members.

Basically you want the forum members to submit all the info on the jersey tags and then you charge a fee for the forum members to access that same information that they supplied?

It just doesn't sound right.

Bobby

ChrisCavalier
07-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Chris,

I think this jersey/tagging photo database is a great idea but I don't agree with limiting access only to premier members.

Basically you want the forum members to submit all the info on the jersey tags and then you charge a fee for the forum members to access that same information that they supplied?

It just doesn't sound right.
Hello Bobby,

Thank you for your comments. I will be happy to respond to them in detail. However, before I do, I would like to ask a couple of things in return since your comments suggest we are doing something that "doesn't sound right".

In your estimation, what do you think the costs are involved with creating the database we are discussing? Specifically, what do you think are the hard and soft costs of:

1) Writing all the specifications for the application to allow the data to be submitted, stored, approved and presented to users?
2) Doing all the development work to build the application?
3) Advertising/marketing the contest so that the size of the database will be meaningful?
4) Approving all the submitted images to verify which ones are legitimate?
5) Offering monetary incentives for contestants who participate to encourage submissions?
6) The infrastructure to support the databases and user interfaces?

In addition, what do you think the costs are of providing the other benefits that come with our Premium Membership?

I know these are things many people don't think about on the surface so I was hoping we could visit them for a moment before I fully respond. Thanks in advance for your reply. Once again, I will provide a more detailed answer after I hear some thoughts to my questions above.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

trsent
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
I see it that maybe this database will make those of us who do not currently subscribe finally do so.

JimCaravello
07-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Interesting thread - having personally been involved in several startup companies including a business I owned for 8 years, I can tell you that the amount of time and money that GUU will spend on this one project will be enormous. The concept of GUU is a great one - but GUU is also not a non-profit organization - and maintaining the databases we are talking about, working through this initiative and running this site are not "cheap". Even non-profits charge you something to pay for their overhead.

What did we do several years ago when Game Used Universe was not in existence? The site has provided collectors a wealth of FREE information to date that others ( dealers - authenticators - etc. ) in the hobby have resisted to share in the past. I have learned more by participating in this site in two years than I have learned in the previous 20 years of collecting.

Yes - I am a contributor to the site, but I am not compensated. I participate for my passion of the hobby and to help educate others to promote the hobby. When I first learned what the site was all about, I joined immediately - not knowing Chris and at that time I was not a contributor to the site. I remember the first time I popped the web page up. I spent ten minutes goofing around with the site and joined immediately. The fee to join the site was a no-brainer because of the benefits and also because of Malta's book we will be receiving later this year.

Some might say my opinion is biased because I am now a contributor to the site - but I don't think its unreasonable at all to ask anyone who wants to participate in this initiative to join the site if they are not already a member. To me - it's a no-brainer - what you will receive will outweigh the cost to join.......

Collectors spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on game used equipment and as mentioned above have been receiving valuable free information since this site was started, but resist a small fee for more valuable information that will only help them in their collecting efforts.....?? it's mind boggling to me - just my humble opinion.............................Jim Caravello

bat_master
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

I agree whole heartedly with Jim's comments. When one takes into consideration the knowledge that is available, the contacts that can be made, and the great material available...well, the fee is really negligible.

In fact, there are at least a half dozen bats on my rack right now that I think it is pretty safe to say would not be there if it were not for this site.

I think one of the greatest benefits to this site is the ability of even the lowest budget collector to "belong" in a group with many advanced collectors.

My wife really doesn't care that a Louisville Slugger bat with foil stamped name is circa 1985...but people here do. That's what makes this group special. We all speak the same language and understand what it is like to find an item that we may have been searching years for. Also, many of us wouldn't not balk at the idea of spending as much on a 35 1/2" hunk of wood we might on a car.

It's pretty tough to put a price on the feeling of belonging.

Just my two cents,

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

gameused
07-14-2006, 03:41 AM
Chris,

Thank you for responding to my earlier post.

First off I want to say that I hope you don't think that I'm trying to be negative in anyway, I appreciate what you, Eric and the rest of the forum members do for this site and I'm happy to be a part of it.

I know it cost money to run a website and to start up a database for the jersey tags. I'm just looking out for the forum member who does not have the premium membership and I feel that if a forum member contributes jersey tag photos and helps to build that jersey database then why would he not have unlimited access to it?

Just a suggestion but why not give anyone submitting images of 25 of more jerseys unlimited access to only the jersey database and 6 months of free premium membership?

George Steinbrenner and a group of investors purchased the Yankees from CBS in 1973, would it be right for Steinbrenner to charge those same investors entrance to Yankee stadium to watch a baseball game?

Thanks, Bobby

ChrisCavalier
07-16-2006, 12:32 AM
First of all, let me thank everyone who posted here for sharing their thoughts. As promised, I will now give a more detailed reply to the initial question.

The first thing I want to point out is that I hope we have made it very clear from the beginning that Game Used Universe was created with the collector's interest in mind. That is, when we make any decisions regarding the site, we do so trying to make it a win/win situation for everyone. As I have pointed out a few times, I did a lot of buying and selling in the hobby and I know the frustrations many of you are feeling. We also know one of the biggest problems today is all the 'suspect' merchandise that is being sold in the hobby and the need for someone to look out for the collecting community. In fact, that is one of the main reasons Game Used Universe was created.

While we wish we could fund everything we are doing for the collecting community and not charge for anything we offer, as you can see from the previous posts on this thread, I'm afraid that really isn't going to be possible. However, at the same time, we will do everything we can to make sure we are providing great value to collectors without charging them more than we believe our memberships are worth.

With that being said, we feel very confident that our paid membership is well worth the cost. Specifically, I don't think anyone has done more to inform the general bat collecting community than we have already done...and we will be doing more of that in the future. Now, with the creation of the jersey database, we feel we will be able to say the same about providing information to jersey collectors. In addition, for those that don't want to pay for a membership on the site, we feel very confident that our 'complimentary' membership offers more to collectors for free than any other entity out there.

Thus, if anyone is interested in submitting images for the contest I would suggest the following:

1) Recognize that you have the opportunity to win the prizes given to the contest winners.
2) Realize that if you submit images of 25 or more approved jerseys (in accordance with the contest rules) you will receive 6 months of GUU premium membership benefits for free. That will allow you to access the entire jersey database for six months and see if the membership fee is something you think is worth paying.
3) If you do not want to pay for a premium membership, always remember that you can still take advantage of the complimentary membership (which includes the forum, experts' corner, etc.) at no cost to you.
4) Realize that images you submit will be helping fellow collectors as well.

Lastly, I will add that if anyone cannot afford the premium membership and feels they really need access to the paid content we provide, please contact me personally and we will do what we can to help you. I say this in a similar way as to when charitable doctors do not charge patients that need their help and can't afford their services. Although we certainly don't charge anything near what doctor's charge, we will be happy to do what we can for anyone who needs our help but can't afford it. Remember, we were "created by collectors...for collectors" and we are in this together with you.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. To be perfectly honest, I believe we, collectively through this site, are beginning to empower the collecting community in a way that will end the abuses collectors have had to endure for so many years. I look forward to what the future will bring and would like to thank everyone for being a part of what we are all doing for the hobby.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe