PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Purchase You Most Regret?

BamaHater
05-23-2010, 12:18 AM
What purchase or purchases do you most regret? For me, it is my game used base from the last regular season game in the Astrodome. I paid $750 for this third base from this historic game. It might seem a good price for a base until you realize they changed out bases every half inning. That means there are 28 bases out there, 36 if they changed out home plate every half inning as well. Mine is 3rd base from the bottom of the 7th. Right now I don't even have it on display. I have no place to display it right now so it is stuck in my closet. I know I could not get $750 on Ebay right now if I tried to sell it. Hopefully one day I can find a place to display it.

stdrwt11
05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Wow, $750! I paid $200 for mine from a game last year. I guess they knew since it was the last game at the Dome they would jack up the price. I think that is a bit much. So far I do not have a game used item I regret yet since I don't have many. I have bought some autos in the past thought that I thought were real then found out they weren't. That made me mad. Luckily, I only lost like $150 total something like that.

legaleagle92481
05-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Oh boy this is a great question. Let's see I will start with my $2,500 Marvin Harrison jersey that despite a Mears A10 rating and a JO COA appears to show no wear. It seems that everyone based their approval on a gu inscription linking the jersey to a specific game. Another is my Alge Crumpler jersey it cost me $500 bucks with taxes and shipping from NFL auctions and I cannot sell it at $300 bucks. I turned down an offer of $425 out of stupidity a few months ago.

earlywynnfan
05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I have a few Juan Gonzalez game used bats gathering some dust in my closet that hindsight tells me I should've avoided. Perhaps he'll make another comeback someday!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

skyking26
05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I have other financial obligations right now and should not have committed to buy a Joe Mauer bat. I did, and now cannot move it. Signed 2006 and apparently the world has one just like it !!!!!

legaleagle92481
05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
I have other financial obligations right now and should not have committed to buy a Joe Mauer bat. I did, and now cannot move it. Signed 2006 and apparently the world has one just like it !!!!!

You have a nice bat and Mauer is a great player you'll find a buyer don't worry.

WadeInBmore
05-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I bought a Koby Clemens HWB jersey direct from the league when they started to move their jerseys. I originally had planned to have a father/son side to my collection with a Koby and a Roger amongst others. As my collecting habits changed and that project idea abandoned, that jersey though nice and was used in the championship game...just didn't fit. Along comes a Koby collector and now it is in a new collection being appreciated by a fan! Basically broke even on the deal, but was happy to at least recoup my money from that purchase.

wade

spartakid
05-23-2010, 02:11 PM
You have a nice bat and Mauer is a great player you'll find a buyer don't worry.

Ditto, I'm surprised that you can't at least sell it for close to what you got on ebay. Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?

spartakid
05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Sorry a little unclear, the question was directed at skyking.

3arod13
05-23-2010, 02:50 PM
What I was to believe was a Robinson Cano Game Used Glove, which I purchased from a GUU member.

After intense research, only to find out that the glove was stolen from Cano's locker, and used by another player in the Dominican Republic, then found it's way back stateside and sold by SGC Gaynor Auctions. After contacting SGC Gaynor Auctions, got nothing but a negative attitude and response. However, they did admit later that the glove did come from overseas.

Sent the glove to Steiner for Cano to look at , and he wouldn't authentic it, as it was stolen from his locker.

Guess if it was stolen from is locker, you can assume he did use it at some point.

It was the most disappointing purchase I ever made.

Regards, Tony

BULBUS
05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
When Steiner first started selling Yankees stuff, I paid 750 for Paul O'Neill 1993 game used pants. The pants were probably used all year and are easily photomatched, but 750 for pants :eek:

skyking26
05-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Sorry a little unclear, the question was directed at skyking.
$1200

spartakid
05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
$1200

Isn't that about the going rate? Especially signed, I would expect something like that to fetch at least a grand, if not more.

skyking26
05-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Isn't that about the going rate? Especially signed, I would expect something like that to fetch at least a grand, if not more.
Sparta, I guess so. The bat sold within minutes of these posts.

Falcon
05-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Oh boy this is a great question. Let's see I will start with my $2,500 Marvin Harrison jersey that despite a Mears A10 rating and a JO COA appears to show no wear. It seems that everyone based their approval on a gu inscription linking the jersey to a specific game. Another is my Alge Crumpler jersey it cost me $500 bucks with taxes and shipping from NFL auctions and I cannot sell it at $300 bucks. I turned down an offer of $425 out of stupidity a few months ago.

What team is the Crumpler jersey?

spartakid
05-24-2010, 07:58 AM

Wow, there you go. All you needed was some marketing:)

legaleagle92481
05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
What team is the Crumpler jersey?

Titans it is from last year's game vs. the Pats and was from NFL Auctions.

legaleagle92481
05-24-2010, 10:01 AM

Good to hear you sold the bat, I would have been shocked if someone did not buy it it is Mauer after all.

Falcon
05-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Titans it is from last year's game vs. the Pats and was from NFL Auctions.

Shucks, I really wanted a Falcons one.

Mulligans
05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Hi Leagle....If you still have the Crumpler and you are up for a trade. I had listed a bunch of NFL Jerseys and MLB Jackets in the Classified section. Let me know if you want to trade any item straight up?

Please feel free to shoot me an email with any questions. A handful are gone, but if anything interests you please let me know!

If I get it out of your collection, you won't have to think of it any more....

Thanks and Good luck.
Jeff

nickacs
05-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I was "caught up" in the '09 Yankee WS that I just wanted someone from the NYY game used jersey. MLB Auctions had some and I ended up with the Phil Coke game worn jersey from the WS.
Looking back, eh, I'm really not interested anymore and definitely regret buying it just because I only like Jeter, but I was all into the NYY winning the WS and just wanted one...

skyking26
05-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Good to hear you sold the bat, I would have been shocked if someone did not buy it it is Mauer after all.
I think sometimes you just need the right exposure to the right audience.

I've learned that many are just looking for a deal. If you can't sell a Mauer bat, for example, for $900 when you have $1200 invested, then someone isn't interested. Either that or Jesus Christ himself was to be photographed in the background on an exact photomatch, etc etc.

I guarantee the buyer will be tickled pink to receive this bat. I just got in the middle of some family obligations and that has to come first before game used. My thanks to those that have helped me out; Ben and Big Bill. You've both kept me from the electric chair where wife was about to throw switch!

Fnazxc0114
07-17-2010, 11:19 PM
mine would be the justin smoak first hit first home run bat i picked up last month. For some reason when my team trades a player i have no interest in them anymore. I guess ill put it in the closet and hope he has a good career.

legaleagle92481
07-18-2010, 04:46 PM
mine would be the justin smoak first hit first home run bat i picked up last month. For some reason when my team trades a player i have no interest in them anymore. I guess ill put it in the closet and hope he has a good career.

look at it this way if he has a hof career that bat will make you alot of money. players switch teams but at least he also brought your team one of the best pitchers in the game.

yankees506
07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
heres mine, earlier this year curtis granderson was traded to my yanks. Ill just say i was a huge fan of his even before this trade. Needless to say picked up a 2007 gu bat signed with 20-20-20-20 inscription. It cost me around $300. I think the bat is worth $200 so its not a huge hit but i dont like to think that i could never get my $ back for something i buy if ever the sh*t hits the fan.

Fnazxc0114
07-18-2010, 04:57 PM
yep thats why the bat is going in the closet

kirkb
07-20-2010, 10:42 AM
It bothers me when I purchase any Det. Lion jersey or equipment I can't auhenticate. A few years back I bought a pair of Nike Barry Sanders game worn Nike shoes for I think $700 cash plus a couple insignificant trade items off ebay. I had checked the tag with Nike and was assured they were not issued to the Public. I checked other ebay auctions and they seemed one of a kind and did exactly match game film/dvd as far as I could tell. Thry had very unusual soles.
I received them and about 2 weeks later they started popping up all over the place on ebay with similar looking tages. As it is virtually impossible to exactly match shoes up from film or pics, I had no way of knowing if he wore these or not. Later I was to aquire a pair of Barry Game worn turf clete type shoes with a notarized letter from a teamate. I believe these to be real('98 vs TB) and his shoe size was VERY small. Needless to say I dumped the Nikes for what I could get.

cliffjmp33
07-20-2010, 11:45 AM
My biggest regret is not having the knowledge that I have no where to display things. But I think that goes for a lot of us. Biggest regret item is purchasing the home bullpen pitchers' mound from Yankee Stadium. It's from the last game I attended at Yankee Stadium and got it and 1st base for a very good price from Steiner. However, I now have a 20 pound pitchers mound sitting in a closet doing nothing. High hopes of having Rivera sign it one day, but that could be a while.

Biggest memorabilia purchase regret non game used hands down is my 300th win Roger Clemens baseball.

zooat2
07-20-2010, 02:08 PM
My biggest regret is not having the knowledge that I have no where to display things. But I think that goes for a lot of us. Biggest regret item is purchasing the home bullpen pitchers' mound from Yankee Stadium. It's from the last game I attended at Yankee Stadium and got it and 1st base for a very good price from Steiner. However, I now have a 20 pound pitchers mound sitting in a closet doing nothing. High hopes of having Rivera sign it one day, but that could be a while.

Biggest memorabilia purchase regret non game used hands down is my 300th win Roger Clemens baseball.

- BINGO! I also have no where to display things, and I find myself rotating stuff all the time. Its getting to the point where its starting to look cluttered and not neat...

- Biggest regret would be the Big Unit's GU road pants from '06. I bought them because I thought it would be cool to own a 6'10 soon to be HOF'er's pants. Now when people go into my man cave to view my collection they always get a kick out of these ABNORMALLY huge pants hanging on the wall.

legaleagle92481
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM

I feel you on this one. Storage is a big reason I am selling alot of my personal collection and consolidating it into a few items. Right now my home is overrun with bats, jerseys and autographed items. People come over and they are like wow why are there boxes with basketballs piled up to the ceiling?

justinbittner220
07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
I bought a Forbes Field turnstile for my father for his birthday/christmas/father's day gift for the next ten years gift, from an auction. It came with no authentication like it said it would. I can't find anyone that can authenticate it, verify it, letalone say that they ever saw one. I had one guy tell me that he owned one and restored it, but he disappeared off the face of the planet. It's big, heavy, and ugly and it is taking up space in my family's warehouse. As much as I love it and want to restore it, I kind of regret buying it. I think a Clemente signed ball would have been just as cool of a gift for my dad. Any takers? lol. :)

jwall23
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
yep thats why the bat is going in the closet

Let me know if it ever goes on the trading block! I'm a Rangers fan as well, but I still root for Smoak (just the player ... and definitely not the M's ;) ).

Like you, I've got three Smoak bats sitting in my collection at the moment. No reason not to display an awesome bat from a potential superstar.

Fnazxc0114
10-25-2010, 11:45 PM
I was looking in the closet today and saw the smoak bat. Made me thankful we got cliff lee. I hope he has a good career.

AWA85
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Would not say it is a complete regret as it is one of my favorite game used items, but the price I paid on my Ken Griffey Jr game used fielding glove still trumps everything in my collection and leaves a little thought of regret when I think about the price tag.

Other then that, little uncertain about all of my autograph baseballs and photos I have collected over the years. Most were gathered in person, but as interest changes so dose the importance of autograph items.