PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Tino Martinez GU Signed ALCS Bat

Mulligans
05-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm not really a Bat Guy (just a Dabbler), but was curious what I could sell a 1996 Tino Martinez GU Signed ALCS Bat for? I don't mean this to be a classified, I just have no idea of Market Value and do not know where to look?

panthrotc
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
well, since yankees collectors do pay quality money, you can start with common sense.

1. PICTURES would help

2. The use of the bat

3. Where is the bat from

4. Have you tried photomatching it

Mulligans
05-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I purchased it last year in an auction and it came with a Yankees Certificate of Authenticity. I have not tried to photomatch it.

legaleagle92481
05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Jeff, what do you mean by Yankees-COA? Do you mean Yankees-Steiner? I would say you could probably get 3 grand for it, possibly more. Because 1. Tino was a star caliber player who was very popular with the fans, 2. It was the Yanks first WS win in many years and predated when alot of people thought they "bought" the WS 3. You don't see much GU stuff from that year, especially from the playoffs and there are alot of high roller Yankee fans and right now baseball season is starting to heat up. But as someone else said you should defintely try to photomatch it. It is an awesome bat.

gorilla777
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Jeff, what do you mean by Yankees-COA? Do you mean Yankees-Steiner? I would say you could probably get 3 grand for it, possibly more. Because 1. Tino was a star caliber player who was very popular with the fans, 2. It was the Yanks first WS win in many years and predated when alot of people thought they "bought" the WS 3. You don't see much GU stuff from that year, especially from the playoffs and there are alot of high roller Yankee fans and right now baseball season is starting to heat up. But as someone else said you should defintely try to photomatch it. It is an awesome bat.

There is no way you get $3k for this bat. It would be more like about $700-800.

gorilla777
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
This is the one from the Heritage Auction, right?

ndevlin
05-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Correct! Thank you!!!! Sheesh!

legaleagle92481
05-24-2010, 10:53 PM

for a playoff used bat by a star yankee with solid proof during one of the most memorable championship runs in baseball history? that would be the steal of the century ill take 20 at that price.

gorilla777
05-24-2010, 11:13 PM
for a playoff used bat by a star yankee with solid proof during one of the most memorable championship runs in baseball history? that would be the steal of the century ill take 20 at that price.

Then you should make him that offer and see if he accepts

I collect Yankee bats and and would say, IMHO, that price point is about right. The sale price is only going to be what the market bears at this particular time.
And for $3k? There are many other better ways to spend those dollars on a GU bat

legaleagle92481
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Then you should make him that offer and see if he accepts

I collect Yankee bats and and would say, IMHO, that price point is about right. The sale price is only going to be what the market bears at this particular time.
And for $3k? There are many other better ways to spend those dollars on a GU bat

The rarity of the item will drive the price up maybe not to 3k but certainly well above the range you gave. How many 1996 playoff bats used by star yankees with solid proof have you seen? There are not many out there. The range you gave is less than some people including steiner have tried to sell a regular season bat from less important years for. would i pay 1,000s for this bat? no but i think deep pocketed avid yankee fans looking for a piece of that playoff run would get into a bidding war over it.

jetersbatboy
05-25-2010, 12:14 AM
There have bin numerous Tino Martinez W.S., ALCS, and ALDS bats hit the market from W.S. season and also what most consider the pinnacle of all Yankee Season 1998. Those bats have not come close to a $3k price tag. I have owned a W.S. issued bats from Tino, another Member on the site also has W.S. Tino bats, John Taube has a W.S. Tino bat. An most know that Tino recycled his bat to the following year, as evidence Johns Bat. The Steiner LOA mean nothing, Steiner has sold W.S. bat as regular season bats, so they don't know shit. $3k Is ridiculous.......

Mulligans
05-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I thought @ $1000 to $1200 but I had no idea at all?

I tried to sell a pair of Football Cleats and a basketball Jersey for 2 months on Ebay and couldn't get an offer of over $400 on either and they sold at the GF auction for 4K and 2K respectively? At the same auction I bought a $2500 Football Jersey for $750. Its tough to figure out?

Like I said, I kow little about Bats and should probably stick to my area of expertise, but fell in love with this bat. I don't fully undertand how many bats that Tino would use during the ALCS, but it can't be too many because this Bat has incredible amounts of use.

I don't own any Yankee items, and I am not familiar with a Yankees certificate of Authenticity (not a Steiner). I will post the exact wording and the signature on it and maybe you guys can help me out with its origination.

Thanks again for the help!
Jeff

legaleagle92481
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
There have bin numerous Tino Martinez W.S., ALCS, and ALDS bats hit the market from W.S. season and also what most consider the pinnacle of all Yankee Season 1998. Those bats have not come close to a $3k price tag. I have owned a W.S. issued bats from Tino, another Member on the site also has W.S. Tino bats, John Taube has a W.S. Tino bat. An most know that Tino recycled his bat to the following year, as evidence Johns Bat. The Steiner LOA mean nothing, Steiner has sold W.S. bat as regular season bats, so they don't know shit. $3k Is ridiculous.......

I would argue that 96 tops 98 because it was the first championship that many of today's fans (those in the 20-35 range) are old enough to remember and it was exciting and fresh then even to those of us who are not Yankee fans. People who were even 8 when they won previously are 40 today. I don't know how your game issued world series bat has any bearing on this though. My point only was that it could fetch big money I nor anyone else here can really predict what exactely it would fetch.

Mulligans
05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Here is the COA. Is it recognizable as something that the Yankees would produce? If so, it seems a bit generic. It also comes with a COA from JSA.

Yankees Experts....Please let me know your thoughts on the COA.

It is hard to read, but says.

This product is hereby confirmed as an authentic article having formally belonged to the New York Yankees team and actually used at Yankee Stadium.

Tino Martinez Autographed 1996 ALCS Game Used Bat.

yankees24
05-25-2010, 10:29 AM
that's a great bat, I'm still waiting to own my first Tino Martinez item. are his usually rare, or easy to find?

gorilla777
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
that's a great bat, I'm still waiting to own my first Tino Martinez item. are his usually rare, or easy to find?

Just keep on the look out - you can find Tino items/bats out there. For those Yankee era teams, the Paul O'Neill bats are a more difficult find typically than Tino, Bernie, or Posada.

yankees24
05-25-2010, 11:47 AM
thanks gorilla777, what about other game related Tino items, like jerseys, are they as easy to find as his bats?

gorilla777
05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
thanks gorilla777, what about other game related Tino items, like jerseys, are they as easy to find as his bats?

That I am not so sure about, as I just collect GU bats. I think that I saw one in the recent Vintage Authentics auction, but it may have just been an issued jersey. Plus you always have to be wary if it has the Lampson authentication too.
There are probably some collectors with his gear on this site, so I would just post on the classifieds and see what you might get?

Good luck - Ben

legaleagle92481
05-25-2010, 12:13 PM

There were a bunch from the Yankees-Steiner partnership they popup on Ebay every couple of months. A good guy to contact is Tfig27 i believe he had one for sale in the past and he deals in alot of yankee stuff.

yankees24
05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
thanks, I'll keep an eye out. it would be nice to see him as a coach like with Mattingly and have some of his game used available since I missed out during his playing career.

yankees24
06-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I contacted Steiner yesterday and they said they had a game used Tino bat for 1250$, is that a decent price? they didn't have any further details if it was game used from the regular season or playoffs?

gorilla777
06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I contacted Steiner yesterday and they said they had a game used Tino bat for 1250$, is that a decent price? they didn't have any further details if it was game used from the regular season or playoffs?

That is a 300-400% markup if a regular GU bat. You should be able to find a Yankee era bat easy enough for much less.

Ben

yankees24
06-02-2010, 03:34 PM
that is pretty steep, are there any other sites that sell Tino used bats?

suave1477
06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I collect many Yankees items including but not limited to bats.

I have handled many Tino bats and have a few in my collection.

IMO I would put a bat like that in the value range of $800 to $1,000.

But hey on any given day if no ones looking it could sell for $600, if you have 2 guys with deep pockets it could sell for $2000.......so who knows.

yankees24
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
thanks suave, I was reading some older threads and there was one with Tino Steiner certified bat that had a line under the 125? I'm just starting to collect but have you came across this with any of the Tino bats you owned, and is Steiner the only store that would have Tino bats at the moment? though I am a Tino fan, how popular is he in general with the rest of baseball fans because his bat prices seem to be high for him, since he wasn't a superstar Hall of Fame player.

suave1477
06-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Well as most here would tell you a line under the 125 usually means it is a retail/promotional bat so it is not common to find that on a Game Used. Is it possible and have retail items before made it onto the playing field Yes. But not common.
Well I am sure if you look around to game used dealers and such you may come across more. Other than Steiner.
As other members have mentioned here he is a fan favorite but moreso to Yankees fans as hey was a key member of the World Series teams and done so much for the Yankees. That is where the strength of his fan base would come from I would imagine. But what also drives up the price for his other items I would think is because he had short stints with other teams so his items from those teams are even hard to find.
Not a hall of famer but he was a constant star that put up high consistant numbers for a good amount of years and had clutch moments. And his items are more towards the harder side to come by. So when they hit the market at a good price people tend to jump on it.

But as always in the collecting hobby it all depends on which way the wind blows that day:rolleyes:

Example I pointed out to someone not too long ago I listed an item on ebay 3 times dropping the price every time because it just seem no one wanted it. By the 4th time I listed it which was way below even what I paid for it, I had 2 people go into a bidding war over it and it ended up selling 3 X over my original orice I asked for it. So go figure!!

legaleagle92481
06-03-2010, 11:34 PM
you can get cheaper than 1200 on ebay and from steiner. do you have twitter? if you do follow jason klein on there once he gets 200 followers each follower will get 25% off for one item on one day. and there are 10% coupons online.

yankees24
06-04-2010, 06:59 AM
thank you suave and legaleagle for your advice and suggestions, I hope to be able to own a Tino game used bat one day. I wonder why Steiner would even still have any available for sale, considering 5 years have passed since he retired and with his popularity surely even at over a thousand dollars for his game used bat those should have been gone by now.

also are most of Tino's bats cracked or uncracked?

BULBUS
06-04-2010, 08:06 AM
yankees24,

have you seen this bat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TINO-MARTINEZ-GAME-USED-BAT-COA-STEINER-NY-YANKEES-/190392014780?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c543f97bc

yankees24
06-04-2010, 08:15 AM
yankees24,

have you seen this bat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TINO-MARTINEZ-GAME-USED-BAT-COA-STEINER-NY-YANKEES-/190392014780?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c543f97bc

thanks Chris, no I haven't. do you know if this is a member here, maybe I could talk to him further about this. also are Tino bats MLB Authenticated, only see the Steiner Sports hologram on that bat. thanks.

BULBUS
06-04-2010, 08:42 AM
thanks Chris, no I haven't. do you know if this is a member here, maybe I could talk to him further about this. also are Tino bats MLB Authenticated, only see the Steiner Sports hologram on that bat. thanks.

Not sure if they are a member, don't recognize the user id. Until recently, Yankee/Steiner bats rarely were MLB authenticated. However, the bat looks good to me. Has all Tinos use characteristics including pine tar pattern and the 24 on the knob in Tinos handwriting.

BULBUS
06-07-2010, 09:06 AM
The Tino locker nameplate is now up for auction:

http://yankees.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=123273450&prmenbr=33340469&aunbr=123620160

spartanservitto
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Steiner had a special 2-3 years ago where jorge posada game used bats, as well as tino bats, were $300 bucks. You should be able to find a bat around there. Does anyone remember the promotion?

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-07-2010, 10:22 AM
The bat online is probably from that special, I saw Posada bats online constantly, and still do from time to time. I would say a yankee-steiner collection tino martinez bat is a safe buy.

-Tony