PDA

View Full Version : Are George Sosnak Painted Balls Game Used?

joelsabi
05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Anyone know the history of these baseballs? They are mostly painted baseballs depicting historical events of some great players. George Sosnak was an umpire in the major at one time. So were the baseballs actual game used baseballs he kept from games he umpired?

There are over 500 baseballs he has painted.

Here's a few example.

joelsabi
05-24-2010, 08:40 PM
I found these links.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20080301/SPT/803010465/The-painted-baseballs

http://rattler-radio.blogspot.com/2010/05/may-3-1960-may-3-1985.html

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/article/artist_george_sosnak/

I remember a member having one baseball that was painted like this and said it was game used so I am fascinated to learn more about Sosnak as Sosnak has done some Clemente pieces too. There are two Orlando Cepeda baseballs I am very interested in that is currently for sale if they are game used.

The Bob Gibson I posted went for $1500 at auction.

Shmu
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Sosnak used any ball he could find to paint. Most of my Sosnak balls are not game balls; they vary from being marked "Little League Baseball" to official MLB baseballs.

Kirk L.
janasobe@cox.net
Virginia Beach, VA

joelsabi
05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Sosnak used any ball he could find to paint. Most of my Sosnak balls are not game balls; they vary from being marked "Little League Baseball" to official MLB baseballs.

Kirk L.
janasobe@cox.net
Virginia Beach, VA

So milestone baseballs were no retreived and submitted to Sosnak for painting. Based on what I read online and auction descriptions, which there are many currently, there is no indication that these are game used baseballs. That's just my opionion based on what is online. They are great looking baseballs and great baseball collectibles just not in the genre of "game used."

It would great to hear about one that was actually retrieved and then painted. It's just tough to see any game used if it were game used because the baseball is entirely painted over.

If anyone owns one, let us know what you know about your baseball as articles on the origins of these baseballs is limited online.

MUSEOVEN
05-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Hello: In My Case, The Cesar Gutierrez Ball Is The Autentic Ball, The Seven Hit Of Cesar, Thanks.-

joelsabi
05-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Hello: In My Case, The Cesar Gutierrez Ball Is The Autentic Ball, The Seven Hit Of Cesar, Thanks.-

Hi Museoven,

Your baseball happens to be one of my favorite items and made me research further on Sosnak baseballs as there are some Cepeda baseballs that I am interested in that are currently for auction. On further research I have found out there are some Clemente baseballs out there too.

Can you elaborate on the history of your baseball? Which hit was the baseball? How did Sosnak get involved as I know that he painted many baseballs for the Detroit Tigers. Was he an umpire for that game?

Is there a special marking that Sosnak used if it was an actual historic baseball. Was there a special presentation at a game to return the baseball back to Cesar Gutierrez.

Thanks in advance.

joelsabi
05-26-2010, 09:59 AM
OK I decided not to be lazy.

Quick search.

Umpires from the game.
Umpires: HP - Marty Springstead, 1B - Larry Barnett, 2B - Larry Napp, 3B - John Rice

So Sosnak did not umpire the game.

Final hit:

TIGERS 12TH: HENNIGAN REPLACED KLIMCHOCK (PITCHING); McAuliffe
flied out to left; Stanley homered; Gutierrez singled to center;
Gutierrez was caught stealing second (catcher to second); Kaline
walked; Horton

His seventh hit of the game was off Phil Hennigan in the 12th inning. So, the baseball could be easily retrieved for Cesar to keep.

Museoven, I hope this post added to your knowledge of your item. That game must have been the highlight of Cesar's career and I hope you can share the story Cesar told you from that day.

joelsabi
05-26-2010, 12:01 PM

Kirk L.
janasobe@cox.net
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi Kirk,

What kind of paperwork (ie. Letter from Sosnak, COA) come with your Sosnak baseballs?

yanks12025
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
In reading the articles posted it says that Sosnak was only a umpire for minor leagues and was never able to make it to the big league.

joelsabi
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
In reading the articles posted it says that Sosnak was only a umpire for minor leagues and was never able to make it to the big league.

as the article reads:
Sosnak ended up rising up through the ranks before finally settling in as an umpire in the Pioneer League, where he was for the 1956-58 seasons. He later went on to umpire in the Three-I League and Southern Association, however, both leagues folded. His dreams of becoming a Major League umpire were never fulfilled.

from my lookup at retrosheet.org

The umpires for the game where Gutierrez went 7-for-7 were:
Umpires: HP - Marty Springstead, 1B - Larry Barnett, 2B - Larry Napp, 3B - John Rice

I think I brought this up since many umpires keep baseballs for their own collection and this would be rather convenient if Sosnak was the umpire for such games. The umpire who kept baseballs from Ripkens streak comes to mind.

In Museoven's case, I believe he was personally given many of Cesar Gutierrez items before his friend Gutierrez past away. Even before hearing Museoven's story, I am inclined to believe that Cesar had access to this historic baseball as the seventh hit of the game was a single and easily retrievable. The 7-for-7 game was in 1970 and it looks like Sosnak painted the baseball in 1971 [I believe it says "George Sosnak 1971" on the panel with the image of Cesar batting (left of image, belt level)].

Sosnak seemed to get requests for his painted baseballs and some were for a specific event. Baseballs were painted and then shellacked.