PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Bat Care

staindsox
07-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey guys, I have a quick question for you. I have collected game used bats for several years now (but all having been used in the past 15-20 years), but have recently started buying some older bats. I have bought some bats from the 1920s-1930s and am wondering if there is a special way or method of caring for these bats? I know grain separation and deadwood are common occurrences. Is there a best way to limit this? Are bats treated or oiled? I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past. Linking me to something with a little info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Chris

jboosted92
07-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Hey guys, I have a quick question for you. I have collected game used bats for several years now (but all having been used in the past 15-20 years), but have recently started buying some older bats. I have bought some bats from the 1920s-1930s and am wondering if there is a special way or method of caring for these bats? I know grain separation and deadwood are common occurrences. Is there a best way to limit this? Are bats treated or oiled? I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past. Linking me to something with a little info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Chris

Im no expert, but I definitely WOULDNT apply any sort of finish to the bat that would take away from showing game use or patina.

Steiner style cases are really nice, and just keeping them in a climate controlled enivornment, (I assume) is best

icollectDCsports
07-11-2006, 04:43 PM
The reason any wood (bats, furniture, hardwood floors, etc.) has grain separation is changes in humidity. While I don't know the optimal numerical level of humidity for the place of storage or display, you should try to avoid a place that is too humid and also which experiences significant changes in humidity from season to season.

staindsox
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I am a librarian, but have more familiarity with preservation of paper documents than wood or leather objects. I have heard something like a linseed or flaxseed oil can be used. It treats the wood, but is not a stain or anything of this nature. Something is administered to limit deadwood or dry-rot, but I am not sure what museums use. Do any of you do anything to preserve your 1920s-30s bats? Thanks again.

Chris

indyred
08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Has anyone ever had problems with storing a bat overtime and it having problems? I would think keeping out of direct light and in stable envionment would keep it safe. What exactly is deadwood in a bat?