PDA

View Full Version : Asthma claims former Dolphins DB

sox83cubs84
05-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Jarvis Williams, a safety in the NFL from 1988-94, was pronounced dead this past Tuesday after suffering an acute asthma attack. He was 45.

Playing college gridiron at Florida, Williams spent all but his final NFL season in Miami. His 1994 season was spent with the New York Giants.

Dave M.
Chicago area

wrestlecon
05-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Dave:

Can you email me at autographsink@aol.com

Britt Britton

Jayworld
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Such as shame. Asthma is very much a disease taken for granted by many, especially the acute or chronic cases. Having asthma all my life, I know what it means, even for pro athletes, to stay on top of their asthma and checking their peak-flow levels. Bob Gibson also has asthma, as I recall. Thanks for the heads-up, Dave!

sox83cubs84
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Such as shame. Asthma is very much a disease taken for granted by many, especially the acute or chronic cases. Having asthma all my life, I know what it means, even for pro athletes, to stay on top of their asthma and checking their peak-flow levels. Bob Gibson also has asthma, as I recall. Thanks for the heads-up, Dave!

Definitely worth a mention. I am aware of Gibby's asthma problems...there was an incident several years ago where his asthma blew up because he was asked to emerge from the cornfield at the Field of Dreams ballpark in Iowa (a la the players/actors seen in the movie of the same name).

Dave M.
Chicago area

gatorcollector
06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I was at Florida from 83-87 and watched Jarvis play his entire career at UF. Along with Louis Oliver (at UF and with the Dolphins) they were an intimidating pair in the defensive backfield. Check out his hit on Melvin Bratton of the Miami Hurricanes on YouTube sometime.