PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken All Star Bat from 1995

bagbig
07-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Did anybody see the Cal Ripken Jr. 1995 game issued bat on ebay last week? I was out of town and missed it...it only went for $550, why so cheap?

mr.miracle
07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Probably due to the fact that one it was never game used, and two, if memory serves me correct it was an Adirondack bat which is a bat Cal used during the earlier stages of his career 84-86 era but never at later stages during the 90's. Still that being said I would have thought that a Ripken game issued All-Star bat of which normally only two are issued would have brought a bit more. Another recent 91 All-Star game issued Ripken recently brought $1000 on ebay if memory serves me correctly. And, I think that too was an Adirondack which again, Cal was not using in games at this stage of his career. Of course Cal was the 91 All-Star and AL MVP that year.

Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

hblakewolf
07-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Brett-
The recent Ebay bat you reference that sold for $550. also was void of the usual marking below the players name, ALL STAR 1992 and had the AS designation on the knob. This may have turned many people off.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bagbig
07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Very interesting points, thanks to you both. Why did Rawlings do the 1995 bats differently??

mr.miracle
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks Howard, did not even notice that.

It could be that this was a promotional bat instead of the real authentic game issued but if I am correct didn't come with a PSA/DNA LOA verifying it as a game issued bat? Howard, what is your opinion on those issues you pointed out?

Thanks
Brett Herman
brettherman2131@hotmail.com

hblakewolf
07-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I have to admit that I'm not that educated in Rawlings All Star bats. I have a 1991 Rip Rawlings All Star bat that reads 1991 ALL STAR below his name. I have no idea if the 1995 that we are discussing was a gamer, promo bat or something else, however, the knob did have AS stamped on it.

Mike specht or another Forum reader may want to chime in.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Always buying Ripken, McGwire, Phillies and Portland Beavers equipment

metsbats
07-11-2006, 05:39 PM
After 1992, Rawlings stopped stamping All Star game bats on the barrel and instead stamped A.S. <YEAR>, players initials on the knobs just like the Ripken being referred to in the thread. This practice extended to post season bats as well and you will see WS <YEAR>, NLCS <YEAR>, ALCS <YEAR> stamped on the knob and the barrel the regular season labeling (Player's name and Team name or -PRO- in the case of Rawlings bats starting in 2003 - present).

I own a Rick Reed Rawlings NLCS bat which is stamped w/ the model number 460B and 2000 NLCS on the knobs. I also have an Mike Piazza Rawlings made for the 2000 NLCS with model number and only NCLS stamped on the knob.

-David

metsbats
07-11-2006, 05:43 PM
After 1992, Rawlings stopped stamping All Star game bats on the barrel and instead stamped A.S. <YEAR>, players initials on the knobs just like the Ripken being referred to in the thread. This practice extended to post season bats as well and you will see WS <YEAR>, NLCS <YEAR>, ALCS <YEAR> stamped on the knob and the barrel the regular season labeling (Player's name and Team name or -PRO- in the case of Rawlings bats starting in 2003 - present).

I own a Rick Reed Rawlings NLCS bat which is stamped w/ the model number 460B and 2000 NLCS on the knobs. I also have an Mike Piazza Rawlings made for the 2000 NLCS with model number and only NCLS stamped on the knob.

-David

Other thing to consider would be the length of the bat. I've been told by Vince Malta that Rawlings may make post season bats which may be typically larger in length then a player usually uses. These would be most likely a souviner bat with the same stampings as a game bat but of longer length.

mr.miracle
07-11-2006, 07:54 PM
I don't know what the auction bat listed as length, but if it is anything other than 35 inches then it cannot be a game issued Ripken bat. If PSA/DNA graded it, it should be on the grading sheet

Thanks
Brett

ironmanfan
07-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Does anyone find it coincidental that Cal Ripken Jr. was named to 19 A.L. All Star teams throughout his career and the ONLY bats from those 19 years that have surfaced to the hobby are Rawlings ones?

mr.miracle
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Ironmanfan:

Excellent point, I just asked several Ripken experts and collectors that same question about 2 weeks ago before I even saw this bat. All have given me the same answer. Through 19 years of all star games and never a single LS Ripken all star bat to be found not a game issued, game used nada nothing. Since Cal was known to hang onto his game used items and closely protect his bats, my guess would be that he or a family member etc. has all those years of all star bats somewhere but the general public has never been able to lay hands on them. Very good point made.

Brett

ironmanfan
07-12-2006, 07:04 AM
The only Ripken Jr. Louisville Slugger All Star bat I've ever seen was his first one (1983) which was on display at the Ripken Museum (temporarily closed while being moved to Cal Jr.'s complex).

bagbig
07-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Very interesting points!!! What do you guys think that 1995 Rawlings bat is really worth?

stlbats
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I believe this same bat was offered in the last Grey Flannel auction. I have not done extensive research on this, but appears to be the bat.

Jason

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lotimages/919.jpg

Lot of 5 All-Star & World Series Game Bats - Will Clark WS, Frank Thomas AS, Barry Bonds AS, Cal Ripken AS, Don Mattingly AS (5) (PSA/DNA)
Lot # 361

Don Mattingly from 1992 All-Star, Manuf: Adirondack, Model: 433B, Length: 34 in, Weight: 31.6 oz, Wood: Ash, Condition: Uncracked, not game-used. Cal Ripken Jr. from 1995 All-Star, Manuf: Adirondack, Model: CR8, Length: 35.25 in, Weight: 32.2 oz, Wood: Ash, Condition: Uncracked, not game-used. Will Clark from 1989 World Series, Manuf: Adirondack, Model: 460B, Length: 34 in, Weight: 30 oz, Wood: Ash, Condition: Uncracked, not game-used. Barry Bonds from 1993 All-Star, Manuf: Adirondack, Model BB25, Length: 34.25 in, Weight: 34 oz, Wood: Ash, Condition: Uncracked, not game-used. Frank Thomas from 1995 All-Star, Manuf: Adirondack, Model: 456B, Length: 34 in, Weight: 31.4 oz, Wood: Ash, Condition: Uncracked, not game-used. All bats accompanied by a LOA from PSA/DNA
Reserve Price: $250

Current Bid: $1,265

Current Time: July 13, 2006 10:27:04 PM

metsbats
07-13-2006, 09:45 PM
It was definitely the same Ripken as the seller had all the rest of these All Star and the Clark WS bat on ebay over the last month. In fact the Thomas is currently still on ebay.

-David

metsbats
07-13-2006, 09:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-THOMAS-1995-ALL-STAR-GAME-bat-WHITE-SOX-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ8820482600QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60596QQs sPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Ripken was sold by another seller this time around but I'm sure I saw all these GFA bats being sold by the current seller of the Thomas at one point last month. Unfortunately Ebay got smart and you can no longer search back that far.

-David

ironmanfan
07-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Any coincidence that all the bats in that auction lot are Rawlings ones?