PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Jr Retires

gingi79
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
ESPN is reporting that Ken Griffey Jr. has retired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5244661

justinwc80
06-02-2010, 07:15 PM
It's a sad sad day, I don't think he really got a chance this year but here's a toast to one of the greatest of all time!

Fnazxc0114
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
theres no telling what he could have done if he'd stayed healthy all those years. Ill never forget the catch he made against the rangers where he jumped in to the wall and broke his wrist.

spartakid
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Definitely one of the best as both a player and a person.

STLHAMMER32
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
When a player has 630 Hr's, 10 Gold Gloves and 11 All-Star appearances under his belt you wouldn't think that the first thing to come to mind would be "what could have been". However, thats what I think of when Griffey Jr gets brought up. He was one of the best to ever play even with the injuries....still you can only imagine what could have been.

cjclong
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
In nearly 50 years of watching baseball Griffey is one of my favorite players. A Hall of Famer, no question. He will be missed.

flota89
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
One of my favorites. I wish he would have stayed around a little longer. I wanted to see him one last time in St. Louis.

legaleagle92481
06-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Best player of this generation period and unlike most of his peers he never used steroids and still was better than 99.9% of the guys using the roids if he had used he might have hit 80 homers in a season. It is a shame he never got a ring but neither did Teddy Ballgame so he is in good company.

Schmoozer
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Prediction:

The first ever 100% 1st ballot HOF'er. He left it all on the field every play. I can't think of any player who deserved this honor more than Junior.

OK, well, maybe 98%. The BBWAA that vote won't do it, we all know that.

Dewey2007
06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
When healthy, Junior was as great a player as this era has ever seen. The very definition of a five tool player but I'm happy he finally decided to hang it up. To me he had become the modern day Willie Mays. Someone who once had the skills but just didn't know when to quit. Sometimes it takes the great ones a little longer to get the memo. Unfortunately injuries ruined what would have been an ever greater career. Hopefully they already have a mold of the statue that should be going up in front of Safeco sometime soon.

geoff
06-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Griffey was my Favorite Player when I was A Kid.Had his Mariners Posters all over my Wall.Hall Of Fame here He comes in 5 Years.He would be A Great Manager I think also.

jobathenut
06-03-2010, 01:48 AM
A great player that's for sure.I wish he would have left the game like in a storybook ending though.With "the kid" Hitting a home run and then retire.I mean if he was going to retire during the season (not sure why he could'nt have waited until the end of it) that would have abeen the way i would like him to leave the game.And to me that's the question here.Why retire now during the season? Well anyway,i think he is a future hall of famer and for sure a class act to baseball and to sports.