PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Restoration?

drutter
06-03-2010, 12:29 AM
What are the pros and cons of having a vintage game used jersey restored? The letters of the players name have been removed, but you can tell where and what the name used to be. What would you do?

sox83cubs84
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I would restore it, as long as I could perfectly match the size, color scheme, and material used on the original. There would be enough corresponding evidence (rosters, possibly jersey tagging) to prove there was no player identity change. Few things in this hobby look worse than an inaccurate restoration based on the factors cited above.

It comes down to a matter of personal preference. Many collectors are OK with restorations, as long as they are acknowledged before acquisition and the price is reduced accordingly. Others won't touch them at ANY cost. Others will undoubetedly chime in on this thread with both points of view...read 'em and process 'em, but the bottom line is that you make the call, not any of us. Good luck on your choice.

Dave M.
Chicago area

drutter
06-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Would you suggest anybody to use to restore the jersey?

sox83cubs84
06-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Lon Lewis, a member of the Forum, is widely regarded as the best in the hobby at that specific activity. I don't have his contact information handy, but if you search him on the GUF search engine, something will likely turn up.

Dave M.
Chicago area

33bird
10-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Just had a Don Gullett 1976 game used Reds road jersey restored by Lon Lewis. Looks great. He just restored the last name on back and cleaned up a couple tears..All of that for 60.00. Very impressed. I'll use him again for sure if needed.

FSUnconquered
10-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Just had a Don Gullett 1976 game used Reds road jersey restored by Lon Lewis. Looks great. He just restored the last name on back and cleaned up a couple tears..All of that for 60.00. Very impressed. I'll use him again for sure if needed.
Do you have his contact information?

33bird
10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
yea. email me.

33bird
10-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I've gotten a ton of emails wanting Lon's email so here it is:
shadowsdad@worldnet.att.net

mlupo
10-22-2010, 02:09 AM
This is one of those topics like cracked or uncracked bats, signed or unsigned gu jerseys...it is really all up to you and what you like. Personally, I would not restore a jersey or buy one that was, but that's just me.