PDA

View Full Version : Bonds 715 HR ball on eBay

allstarsplus
07-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Fan will auction Bonds' 715th home run ball on Internet

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- The fan who caught Barry Bonds (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3918)' 715th home run ball while waiting for a beer and peanuts will sell the history-making ball on Internet auction site eBay.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0528/mlb_a_bonds4_195.jpg
AP Photo/Jeff Chiu
Bonds' 715th home run was a 445-foot, two-run shot to center before a sellout crowd.

Andrew Morbitzer said he and his wife, Megan, mulled keeping the ball but decided they couldn't turn down a possible payoff. The ball might help the couple put a down payment on a home in pricey San Francisco.

"We decided if we were rich we'd keep the ball because it's fun to have a piece of sports lore to hold on to," Morbitzer told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "But we're not rich."

Experts have said the ball is expected to fetch around $100,000 at auction, far less than the $500,000 some experts say it could have commanded absent the controversy surrounding Bonds and his alleged involvement with steroids.

The auction will start July 24 and continue for 10 days. Morbitzer said he is mulling an opening bid of roughly $10,000. The bidding will also likely be a "reserve" auction, meaning Morbitzer won't part with the ball for less than a certain price.

"It was fun to have and it's fun to have been the one to catch the ball," Morbitzer said. "It was a great once-in-a-lifetime moment. But the decision is based on the fact that there's someone who would love to pay us for it."

San Jose based eBay has handled auctions for other cherished pieces of baseball history. The items sold on the site include a 1909 Honus Wagner T206 card that fetched $1.27 million and Shoeless Joe Jackson's "Black Betsy" bat, which sold for nearly $580,000.

"We were absolutely thrilled to get the call from the Morbitzers," said Jed Clevenger, a sports memorabilia manager with eBay. "It's a great marriage of coincidence and time and history."

Morbitzer said he decided to sell the ball online because of the chance to reach more potential bidders, including international baseball fans.
"It gives anyone a chance to participate in this auction and be a part of history," he said.

Morbitzer was waiting his turn to stock up on a couple of beers and peanuts May 28 when Bonds hit the home run that moved him past Babe Ruth in the record books.

For several moments, Bonds' milestone ball appeared to be beyond anyone's reach. It sat lodged on an elevated platform in center field, then trickled off the roof. Morbitzer caught the ball with one hand.
The 38-year-old San Francisco marketing director was quickly ushered away by security. He spent the next few days on the talk-show, sports-program circuit. Morbitzer said he and his wife were able to move about undetected during that time by mimicking the famous. "We changed clothes and wore a hat and sunglasses," he said. "It worked. The entire time we had one person figure out who we were

mphcollectibles
07-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah,

He's smart the ball's not going to be worth jack. Bond's is going down just like all his memorabilia will as well.

suave1477
07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I disagree as his items now at the present time will hit an all time low down the road in the future they will go back up maybe to not the premium before the controversy but they will go back up.

As much as value goes down on sports athlete items for some kind of controversy it the long run it alwaysn ends going back up bcuz no matter what there is always an interest especially if the athlete broke a huge record with that item.

Not for nothing but I wouldnt sell that ball. I would give it to my kids and let them sell it when they get older by then the value would have gone way up compared to what there going to get for it now.

allstarsplus
07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
If he opens the bidding at $10,000 I will bid just in case this doesn't go for much. It will probably sell for $50,000+.

This guy selling it is pretty smart using eBay. He is getting tons of free publicity, and he will pay smaller seller fees in comparison to paying 15% to 17.5% at the big auction houses and the buyer pays ZERO in fees!

Hopefully he doesn't do Private Auction so we can see who the bidders are!

Eric
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
From Deadspin.com

The Decline And Fall Of Home Run Ball No. 715

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/upload/2006/07/fanball.jpgRemember the heady days before the Landmark Home Run Baseball bubble burst? Guys like Todd McFarlane held press conferences to announce their purchases, which they then spirited away in armored trucks to be kept under plexiglass. Historic home run balls were fetching prices in the millions; the balls would show up in trendy spots like Spago in Beverly Hills, accompanied by an agent and multiple starlets. “We have reserved your usual table, monsieur ball. Would you like to see the wine list? …”
It was fun while it lasted, kind of like the 1980s. Today, historic home run balls are casually thrown onto eBay, to be auctioned along with ashtrays and used books. From the San Francisco Chronicle:

The fan who caught Barry Bonds’ 715th home run ball while waiting for a beer and peanuts will sell the history-making ball on Internet auction site eBay. Experts have said the ball is expected to fetch around $100,000 at auction, far less than the $500,000 some experts say it could have commanded absent the controversy surrounding Bonds and his alleged involvement with steroids.
Oh yeah, there’s that (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13816292/).
Still, we never though that we’d see the ball that surpassed Babe Ruth coming with a “Buy it now” option.

suave1477
07-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I think we should start some kind of friendly wager!!!!

I am willing to say without a doubt the Home Run ball will sell for over $100,000 + / im not saying it will hit $500,000 but definitely over $100k

trsent
07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I just sold a Barry Bonds Autograph Baseball with Bonds holograms and PSA/DNA COA last night for $175.00. I was pretty happy with that price.

allstarsplus
07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Remember that Harris (?) poll a while back that had Barry Bonds as a top 10 in Favorite male athletes?

Barry has a very big following especially in San Francisco and amongst young kids and with minorities.

The smartest business decision was when Barry started to sign less items. It is supply vs. demand. The demand probably has decreased but the supply certainly decreased more.

Joel's price for a ball without a MLB hologram at $175 is good money.

trsent
07-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Joel's price for a ball without a MLB hologram at $175 is good money.

Does a MLB hologram hold as much weight as a Bonds Hologram and PSA/DNA authentication? I don't know, so I'd like to hear some thoughts.

I know the Upper Deck Authenticated hologram still holds the most weight in the autographed memorabilia industry.

allstarsplus
07-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Does a MLB hologram hold as much weight as a Bonds Hologram and PSA/DNA authentication? I don't know, so I'd like to hear some thoughts.

I know the Upper Deck Authenticated hologram still holds the most weight in the autographed memorabilia industry. Just because MLB now authenticates all of Bonds autographs, some collectors will pay more.

Its funny you bring up UDA as they just did a signing with Cal Ripken. They are asking $249 for an unused baseball with no inscription. It's amazing anyone would pay that price---but I am sure people do! http://www.upperdeckstore.com/UDCatProductPage.process?Catalog_Id=5&Catagory_Id=8&Parent_Id=213&Section_Id=213&Product_Id=897365

trsent
07-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Just because MLB now authenticates all of Bonds autographs, some collectors will pay more.

Its funny you bring up UDA as they just did a signing with Cal Ripken. They are asking $249 for an unused baseball with no inscription. It's amazing anyone would pay that price---but I am sure people do!

The best illustration I can give is for Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams.

Their UDA autographed memorabilia always brings much more than any other LOA/COA will bring. Even Ted Williams Green Diamond items do not bring anywhere near the same premium that you'll find with Upper Deck Authenticated.

suave1477
08-01-2006, 12:22 AM
I think we should start some kind of friendly wager!!!!

I am willing to say without a doubt the Home Run ball will sell for over $100,000 + / im not saying it will hit $500,000 but definitely over $100k

Well I was right Bonds HR Ball is up to $137,500.00 and still has 2 days and a half to go.