PDA

View Full Version : Flannel Jersey Set 7

Mark17
06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I have a general question. When a home jersey is labeled "set 7", does that mean he was issued (at least) 7 home jerseys that year? If so, why so many?

Below is an example. I am NOT questioning whether this jersey is authentic, as the seller has an impeccable reputation. What I am curious about is the whole set 7 thing.

Thanks.

http://www.lelands.com/Auction.aspx/AuctionDetailed/64798/June-2010-Catalog/Sports/The-Fred-Budde/Lot567~1967-Tony-Oliva-Autographed-Minnesota-Twins-Game-Used-Jersey

Lokee
06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I would have a hard time believing they where issued 7 home jersey's back in 1967. Keep in mind that it could be possible but I have never seen it myself.

sox83cubs84
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm not certain how many or how the Twins issued gamers in 1967, but this isn't the first high set number I've seen from the Twins that season. I have seen a '67 home of pitcher Al Worthington that was some unusually high set number for the era (6,7, or 8; I'm not sure which). If a common player like Worthington can have this, I see no reason why a star such as Oliva couldn't.I am suggesting a POSSIBLE explanation, and this is intended for discussion, not to be laid down as indisputable fact. The Twins were in a 4-team race in the American League for the '67 A.L. pennant. Also included were eventual winner Boston, Chicago and Detroit. Could it be POSSIBLE that these higher set numbers were intended for World Series use, and, with the Twins falling short, the use on them was added in 1968 (spring training or regular season)? Just a thought...would love to hear Forum members' thoughts, pro or con.

Dave Miedema

Mark17
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your thoughts, I was hoping you'd join this thread. Your theory sounds plausible, but then wouldn't that hold true for 1965, 1969, and 1970, too, when the Twins did make the post-season?

Calvin Griffith wasn't known as a guy who would see the need to give his players 7 sets of jerseys... in fact, most Twins jerseys that hit the market have number changes because they went down to the minors, to get every bit of functional use out of them.

I'd always though, in the flannel era, that players generally were issued 2 sets of jerseys, 2 home and 2 road, and that star players sometimes also got a third set. So, my theory (and like Dave, I'm just throwing this out,) is that a Set 7 does not necessarily imply there were sets 1,2,3,4,5,6.

I wonder if Sets 1 and 2 were issued as usual, and then a third set was made up (perhaps anticipating post-season use, as Dave suggests,) and they just called it Set 7. Maybe to distinguish it from regular-season shirts. Why 7? Maybe because, aside from "1" it's the easiest number to stitch. Or maybe a reference to 1967? Or an anticipated 7 World Series games?

Anyone have any thoughts on this, please post. Thanks!!

sox83cubs84
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your thoughts, I was hoping you'd join this thread. Your theory sounds plausible, but then wouldn't that hold true for 1965, 1969, and 1970, too, when the Twins did make the post-season?

Calvin Griffith wasn't known as a guy who would see the need to give his players 7 sets of jerseys... in fact, most Twins jerseys that hit the market have number changes because they went down to the minors, to get every bit of functional use out of them.

I'd always though, in the flannel era, that players generally were issued 2 sets of jerseys, 2 home and 2 road, and that star players sometimes also got a third set. So, my theory (and like Dave, I'm just throwing this out,) is that a Set 7 does not necessarily imply there were sets 1,2,3,4,5,6.

After I posted my original thoughts, one of your possible explanations...the 7 standing for 1967...crossed my mind. Unless someone from the Twins clubhouse staff ever reads this and responds, however, we may never know for sure.

BTW...While the 2 home, 2 road jersey allocation for the flannel era, there are exceptions. Ty Cobb told a fan who had a pair of his pants back in the 50s that Tigers players in his era generally got only one of each, except for the stars or players "who used their suits roughly" (both of which are true for the Georgia Peach), with those players getting a second set.

More recently, I once owned a 1967 Cubs road flannel of Byron Browne..it was a set 4, as well as some 1969-70 White Sox flannels I've seen or owned. I have a potential theory as to why the Chisox had 4 sets in 1970, but I'll save that for another day...

Dave M.
Chicago area

I wonder if Sets 1 and 2 were issued as usual, and then a third set was made up (perhaps anticipating post-season use, as Dave suggests,) and they just called it Set 7. Maybe to distinguish it from regular-season shirts. Why 7? Maybe because, aside from "1" it's the easiest number to stitch. Or maybe a reference to 1967? Or an anticipated 7 World Series games?

Anyone have any thoughts on this, please post. Thanks!!

!!