PDA

View Full Version : Griffey and All-Star what do you guys think?

justinwc80
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Should-Ken-Griffey-get-an-honorary-All-Star-appe?urn=mlb,245389

I think it could be kind of cool, I mean lets be honest Cal Ripken didn't really play like an All Star his last time but had a great moment in the game. I can see it both ways, interested to hear others opinions.

cjclong
06-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I know the argument that the players having the best seasons at the time of voting should be the ones on the team rather than stars who are on the way down. The other argument is this is the fans game and if they want to see a player like Mickey Mantle who was well past his prime that is their right. I tend to go with that argument. Having said that, Griffey made the decision he does not want to play anymore. If he feels his skills have declined to the point he doesn't want to play we should honor his decision. Instead of being honored he might feel embarrassed, either at sitting on the bench or at being over matched when he came to bat.

legaleagle92481
06-07-2010, 08:53 AM
It is a great idea. He could DH get one at bat and a huge ovation and that is all he would have to do so it is not like he would have to take the field or play a full nine innings. Vlad will be elected starting DH and like Vince Carter did in Jordan's last allstar game I am sure he would ceded his starting spot to Griffey. This way the fans could give him a send off he was too good to just get up and retire without warning.

STLHAMMER32
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I know the argument that the players having the best seasons at the time of voting should be the ones on the team rather than stars who are on the way down. The other argument is this is the fans game and if they want to see a player like Mickey Mantle who was well past his prime that is their right. I tend to go with that argument. Having said that, Griffey made the decision he does not want to play anymore. If he feels his skills have declined to the point he doesn't want to play we should honor his decision. Instead of being honored he might feel embarrassed, either at sitting on the bench or at being over matched when he came to bat.

The thing about Griffey is he still feels like he, can play. He wouldn't be worried about being overmatched, even if in reality he might be. Griffey was getting sick of riding the bench and getting spot starts here and there....it was embarassing I am sure for him and he felt that with him being on the bench and not getting a chance to be consistent it was time to hang 'em up. I am all for seeing Griffey play....I think there is a lot of fans and players a like who would like to have another chance to give him some appreciation now knowing it will be the last time he'll be out on the field as a player.

STLHAMMER32
06-07-2010, 11:40 AM
The thing about Griffey is he still feels like he, can play. He wouldn't be worried about being overmatched, even if in reality he might be. Griffey was getting sick of riding the bench and getting spot starts here and there....it was embarassing I am sure for him and he felt that with him being on the bench and not getting a chance to be consistent it was time to hang 'em up. I am all for seeing Griffey play....I think there is a lot of fans and players a like who would like to have another chance to give him some appreciation now knowing it will be the last time he'll be out on the field as a player.

sorry for the grammer i need to proofread!

justinwc80
06-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I definitely think it would be a much better retirement send off than a typed up statement, he deserves that much.