PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter GU bat price??? Insane

yankees506
06-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I want to ask our members what i should be expecting to pay for a Derek Jeter Game used bat. I thought i could afford one but it seems i cannot, I have seen in the pick-ups thread that many of our members have gotten jeter gamers direct from steiner so I called steiner and asked. The reply i got was "list price is $4k but we can do $3k for an unsigned one." Needless to say my up-bringing was the only thing that kept me from hanging up. Long story short i know there is no way $3k is market value for a jeter.....is it?????? or is this just another case of steiner price bloating? If you dont want to disclose how much you paid for yours its ok i just want to know what i should expect.... Thanks in advance

yankees24
06-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Jeter is a hall of fame player, face of baseball and Yankee legend of this current era. when you see his face enshrined in Monument Park and Cooperstown one day, that 3K$ won't seem to have been too much for someone of his pedigree. have you dealt with Steiner before and have a rep, maybe he could work with you on a better price?

legaleagle92481
06-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I want to ask our members what i should be expecting to pay for a Derek Jeter Game used bat. I thought i could afford one but it seems i cannot, I have seen in the pick-ups thread that many of our members have gotten jeter gamers direct from steiner so I called steiner and asked. The reply i got was "list price is $4k but we can do $3k for an unsigned one." Needless to say my up-bringing was the only thing that kept me from hanging up. Long story short i know there is no way $3k is market value for a jeter.....is it?????? or is this just another case of steiner price bloating? If you dont want to disclose how much you paid for yours its ok i just want to know what i should expect.... Thanks in advance

Three grand is insane for an unsigned Jeter gamer. There are alot on the market and unless it was used for a homer or special achievement that is too high. Steiner auctions them off on Steiner Auctions on its website periodically with a start bid of $1,500 and they toss in a display case. Also check ebay.

BULBUS
3k is high, but not that high. the last steiner bat i saw on ebay, went for over 2k. in 2004, i got mine from steiners auction and paid 1600 or 1700.

there seems to be a lot of jeter bats out there with light use and psa or auction house loa's that go for the 1200 range.

here is a pic of mine:

Game Used Bats
Absolutely, this looks like a great buy from a respectable source.
https://www.digitalfm.com/gameusedbats/itemDetail.cfm?sku=4552

Anthony

yankees24
06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
3k is high, but not that high. the last steiner bat i saw on ebay, went for over 2k. in 2004, i got mine from steiners auction and paid 1600 or 1700.

there seems to be a lot of jeter bats out there with light use and psa or auction house loa's that go for the 1200 range.

here is a pic of mine:

sweet Jeter bat Chris, did you photo match the crack to the game is occurred in?

BULBUS
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
sweet Jeter bat Chris, did you photo match the crack to the game is occurred in?

thanks, this bats is so pounded, its one of my favorites. not sure when this bat is from, its not mlb authenticated. jeter has always use a black p72, i think i would go nuts if i tried to photomatch it.

emann
06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Jeter is a hall of fame player, face of baseball and Yankee legend of this current era. when you see his face enshrined in Monument Park and Cooperstown one day, that 3K$ won't seem to have been too much for someone of his pedigree.

Yeah, but look at how many other HOF players from the last 20+ years you could buy for under 3K (in most cases, well under). I really think those prices are based exclusively on being a homegrown Yankee star, way more than his future HOF status or pedigree.

Same reason Don Mattingly bats usually command higher prices than first ballot HOF'ers like Boggs, Gwynn, Winfield, Henderson, Puckett, Molitor, etc. New York is THE big market, lots of demand.

Fnazxc0114
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM
one of the benefits of supporting a mediocre team for the last two decades. I wish i had your guys rings, but im glad i dont have to pay yalls prices.

yankees506
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
one of the benefits of supporting a mediocre team for the last two decades. I wish i had your guys rings, but im glad i dont have to pay yalls prices.

Yeah i guess i would trade one ring to be able to drop our gu items by hundreds or in jeters case thousands. I wanted you guys to take a look at this bat that is being advertised as a jeter gu bat and it clearly is not even close:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEREK-JETER-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT-YANKEES-PSA-DNA-/220615048558?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335dae7d6e

Its just a dinged up signed bat!!!!!! And its at $810...... The psa/dna holo for the autograph makes ppl think its game used....... wrong!

spartanservitto
06-07-2010, 06:21 PM
The autograph is 100% legit, it deff was game issued; however, if it were used I would say it would be 1 at bat. I mean there is evidence of some pine tar, and bat marks. I deff wouldnt buy it if I was looking for a Jeter gamer.

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a steiner signed bat, I would take $810 right now. haha, I should let those people know.

-Tony

GoTigers
06-07-2010, 06:23 PM
If you think it's bad now, wait until he beaks 3000 hits. If I'm not mistaken he'll be the first player to do it while in Yankee pinstripes. I doubt you'll be able to find anything under $2500 then. I bought a Steiner signed gamer with very nice use and uncracked for $1100 or $1200 a little over a year ago.

yankees506
06-07-2010, 06:29 PM
If you think it's bad now, wait until he beaks 3000 hits. If I'm not mistaken he'll be the first player to do it while in Yankee pinstripes. I doubt you'll be able to find anything under $2500 then. I bought a Steiner signed gamer with very nice use and uncracked for $1100 or $1200 a little over a year ago.

direct From steiner??? i would love to get one at around that price! :confused:

yanks12025
06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Tough luck the person i know won't sell the bat but they own Derek Jeter's pre-rookie bat from his days with the Yankees Double-A team in Albany Ny. The guy recieved the bat directly from jeter after it broke.

Fnazxc0114
06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Im a die hard rangers collector so other teams players dont interest me. Jeter and Pujols are about the only two players id consider adding to my collection if the chance arose.

legaleagle92481
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
The Jeter market is crazy he is far from the best player in the game and other than Ichiro and his rich Pacific Rim fans noone commands those kind of prices. You wouldn't even get 3 grand for a Pujols bat most likely. I got a Rickey Henderson bat for 350 bucks yesterday and to me he was better than Jeter so I cannot see spending near 3 grand. Think about all the superstars you could get for that price. Easily four-six of top players for price of one Jeter. Plus they are far from rare there are alot on the market. To prove this point how many people in this forum have one? How many people have a Pujols or a Mauer or a Ryan Howard? I predict much less have any of the later group. I got my Jeter for 900 and change off Ebay 1.5 years ago. A fellow forum member was the seller and he had a couple more none of which topped $1,500. Mine went so cheap because some idiot repaired the crack and "cleaned" it removing all but traces of the pine tar but it is still Steiner certified with indicia of Game Use (ball marks, etc.).

legaleagle92481
06-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Well you have had ALOT of really good players to collect at least.

yankees24
06-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm curious how do Jeter items get priced, is it through him, Steiner, the Yankees? I have a friend who thinks it's outrageous Jeter charges $500 for signed photographs, but I told him it's not all Jeter's command and other parties are involved. though I'm not entirely sure if that is correct, can someone clarify?

legaleagle92481
06-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Yup he will be the first. The only other guys who got 3,000 hits and played a signifcant portion of their career with the Yanks were I believe Winfield and Henderson. Boggs played for them for a bit as well. Nobody got there in a Yankee uniform and none of the guys who played for the Yanks dons a Yank cap on his hall plaque so Jeter will be the first "Yankee" to do it. Which is downright amazing when you consider that Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and Dimaggio did not get there but yet Paul Molitor and Craig Biggio did.

legaleagle92481
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm curious how do Jeter items get priced, is it through him, Steiner, the Yankees? I have a friend who thinks it's outrageous Jeter charges $500 for signed photographs, but I told him it's not all Jeter's command and other parties are involved. though I'm not entirely sure if that is correct, can someone clarify?

I think it is a combination of both Jeter and Steiner. Jeter's contract with Steiner says he gets X and Steiner uses that, their other costs i.e. storage, buying the items that he signs and advertising and the profit they would like to make off of each item to set a price.

yankees506
06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I really would like to own a jeter bat and i know that i will one day. But i think anything over 1K is crazy for one of his bats, i mean like legal said you can get so many other bats for the price of one of his. What do you guys think will happen once he retires? will the demand go down because hes not in the spotlight anymore? Idk I have so many yankee bats, arod, cano, posada, bernie, sheffield, swisher and i dont have the captain, i guess ill just have to wait and see. Ill be the one posting a "finaly got my jeter" thread in the future...... i hope :confused: :eek: :mad:

Fnazxc0114
06-08-2010, 02:35 PM
about the only rangers players whose bats currently command over 400 each is old arod rangers bats. With the exception of pink bats most are low priced. We do have a guy named elvis andrus, who will probably be looking good in pinstripes in about four more years. lol.

Well you have had ALOT of really good players to collect at least.

yankees24
06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
about how many game used Jeter bats a season are made available for sale?

yankees506
06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
about how many game used Jeter bats a season are made available for sale?

That number is a mystery but you can imagine how many bats he uses in a season, id say 50+ on the low side... how many he gives away to people and how many are made for sale is in the air. But its a lot for sure, its not like jeter uses 5 bats per season, thats the only way i would pay so much for a gamer.

legaleagle92481
06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
about the only rangers players whose bats currently command over 400 each is old arod rangers bats. With the exception of pink bats most are low priced. We do have a guy named elvis andrus, who will probably be looking good in pinstripes in about four more years. lol.

What about Vlad and Hamilton, MLB certified bats of them when you can find them go for over that. Hamilton went for 600 on Mlb auctions last year.

legaleagle92481
06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
That number is a mystery but you can imagine how many bats he uses in a season, id say 50+ on the low side... how many he gives away to people and how many are made for sale is in the air. But its a lot for sure, its not like jeter uses 5 bats per season, thats the only way i would pay so much for a gamer.

Derek collects so he keeps alot of his stuff and trades it to other players for their stuff. I know he and Pujols and he and Ichiro have swaped bats in the past for collectible purposes.

yankees24
06-11-2010, 07:08 AM

you probably saw this already at the top of the forum but Steiner and GameUsedUniverse will be having a best offer program soon, perhaps you could submit one for a Jeter bat and see if they might accept!

yankees506
06-11-2010, 07:53 AM
you probably saw this already at the top of the forum but Steiner and GameUsedUniverse will be having a best offer program soon, perhaps you could submit one for a Jeter bat and see if they might accept!

I would hope i can take some credit for us having this opportunity :cool: . I did suggest this to a steiner rep who emailed me, look at that, steiner listened!

yankees24
06-11-2010, 08:14 AM
I would hope i can take some credit for us having this opportunity :cool: . I did suggest this to a steiner rep who emailed me, look at that, steiner listened!

great, kudos and thanks! maybe I can finally get my grail Tino bat too! :D

legaleagle92481
06-28-2010, 09:17 AM

Are you still looking for one? Email me at justinw.smiloff@yahoo.com I know of a cheap one.

Fnazxc0114
07-09-2010, 12:15 AM
you can get hamilton bats from the ball park for 400 bucks all day.

What about Vlad and Hamilton, MLB certified bats of them when you can find them go for over that. Hamilton went for 600 on Mlb auctions last year.