Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbryan1234
    • Jun 2010

Yaz Bat Help!

I purchased a Yaz bat on eBay from a former MLB player's son. I was told by a high volume GU bat seller that it is a store model. He also claims Yaz never used S2 bats. I believe his S2 statement to be incorrect. I see the he did use S2. Please look at it and tell me what you all think.
  • gbryan1234
    • Jun 2010

Re: Yaz Bat Help!

One other thing. He claims it was acquired in 1983 and Yaz used this bat in Spring Training.

Comment

• camarokids
      • Jun 2006

This is an easy one. I saw this auction before it sold.

The bat is a store model. Note the Flame Tempered by the Louisville Slugger Center Brand Oval. Professional Players Bats will have Powerized.....

I hope you did not buy this bat????

Jeff Scott aka BirdBats has a nice website that will help you identify professional models/game used bats.....

www.birdbats.com

link.......

Thank you,
      David

This is my email address here!
      dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• gbryan1234
        • Jun 2010

I did buy this bat. His daughter is reluctantly willing to take it back. Upset that her dad is providing a letter that Yaz used in in spring of 1983.

Comment

• MSpecht
          • Oct 2005

In addition, the number 2 on the knob is also indicative of a retail bat, not a professional bat. As far as Yaz' professional use of Model S2 bats (which really doesn't have any bearing at this point relative to a retail bat), he only ordered and used S2 bats very early in his career, from 1959 to 1963. There are no H & B records that document any S2 bats manufactured for Yaz' personal professional use after that time.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Comment

• Mark17
            • May 2006

Also, the number 2 on the knob indicates 32 inches long. According to Vince Malta's book, A Complete Reference Guide Louisville Slugger Professional Player Bats, Yaz never ordered bats less than 34 inches long.

So, there are several major indicators that it isn't a Yaz gamer.

Comment

• gbryan1234
              • Jun 2010

Thanks so much for all of your help! I do sell gamers from time to time but only have experience acquiring directly from the source here in AZ. (Fall League and Spring Training have been a great source for me) I have little experience buying any from unknowns. I bought 2 autographs from this same seller that were good. (At least they passed JSA)... Other bats sold by this person (her dad's) were good according to a trusted source. (That source is the one that alerted me that I made a mistake buying this one. I will do more reading and use the resources you all have provided to better educate myself. I am more of an expert in the autograph field and bats are somewhat new to me. I do find them to be a very exiting collectable though.

Comment

Working...