PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hardaway Warriors jersey - need opinions fast!!!

mmonte4
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
hey guys. what do you think of this? At first glance it looks like the real deal to me. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tim-Hardaway-Authentic-Signed-Game-Used-Jersey-Warriors_W0QQitemZ110006575741QQihZ001QQcategoryZ5 0135QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ahuff
07-13-2006, 05:31 AM
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7 c0%7c0%7c0%7c2%7c%7chardaway+1991%7c22333917841213 35%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=2&tag=1

It has the correct tagging for a jersey of that year. The only thing that I see, is that the "Warriors" may not be slanted to the degree of the one in the photo I found on getty. There were a few more on a Yahoo Image search, and they pretty much showed the same thing.

suave1477
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
According to the Getty pictures its definitely not to the right slant!!!

Correct me if I am wrong as I am not a big Basketball Jersey collector, but dont usuall Basketball jerseys for year tagging have 2 years listed as that is how the season is?
Doesn't the tags usually say, Example: 90 - 91 0r 91 - 92 / heres a pic of what i mean

trsent
07-13-2006, 10:09 AM
The tagging for the jersey in question is 100% proper for that era. Just because modern jerseys have two years, doesn't mean anyone should question a jersey from the beginning of the 1990s without knowledge of the subject. That is just not fair to the seller of the jersey who may have people question his item because of the question.

The slant issues appear to be from one photo-match of a jersey on Getty Images since only one home photo is available. I believe there is no issues based on a photo that doesn't offer a full view of the jersey from an in-action photo.

Needless to say, if someone asked me if I had an interest in this jersey if I would bid on it, my answer would be a solid "Yes". I will not be bidding on this item, though, because I do not have a customer for it, but I would solidly recommend the item to a Tim Hardaway collector.

trsent
07-13-2006, 10:22 AM
By the way, the photo on Getty Images of Tim Hardaway in a home white jersey is from the 1990-1991 season, the jersey up for auction that was asked for advice about is from the 1991-1992 season.

sportscentury
07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
According to the Getty pictures its definitely not to the right slant!!!

Correct me if I am wrong as I am not a big Basketball Jersey collector, but dont usuall Basketball jerseys for year tagging have 2 years listed as that is how the season is?
Doesn't the tags usually say, Example: 90 - 91 0r 91 - 92 / heres a pic of what i mean

Joel,

Since Jason is on your ignore list, you may want to remove him from your ignore list (at least temporarily) so that you can view his response. Just trying to help,

Reid

suave1477
07-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Sportscentury I do appreciate your help!!!
Thank you.

both-teams-played-hard
07-13-2006, 12:33 PM
The Getty photo with the white jersey is from January 1990(The 1989-90 season) The Warriors wore MacGregor Sand Knit. The eBay jersey is from 1991-92. I would discourage comparing a photo of a jersey in a frame to photo of a jersey being worn in a game (WARRIORS slant issue). The jersey is good and is a steal for under $300.

trsent
07-13-2006, 12:48 PM
The Getty photo with the white jersey is from January 1990(The 1989-90 season) The Warriors wore MacGregor Sand Knit. The eBay jersey is from 1991-92. I would discourage comparing a photo of a jersey in a frame to photo of a jersey being worn in a game (WARRIORS slant issue). The jersey is good and is a steal for under $300.

Good points above.

Next, Jason was removed from my ignore list about ten days ago.

ahuff
07-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Now that I have had a few more minutes to do some research, I will post the other info I have found. I don't know when Hardaway took over the "C" role. However, I found cards during 1991-92 that showed him with and without the "C" on his shoulder. I don't know if this 1991-92 Upper Deck card will show up, but I think this is great support for the jersey. It shows the less tilted "Warriors" and the "C".

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/2b/c3/c0_1_b.JPG

suave1477
07-13-2006, 02:57 PM
ahuff good find!!!

That picture is from the season before which is when the Jersey in question is coming from.

trsent
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
So, the card helps the jersey in question?

I do not understand. I have not seen a retraction stating that jerseys should have two years on them as this is was an untrue statement.

ahuff
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
So, the card helps the jersey in question?

I do not understand. I have not seen a retraction stating that jerseys should have two years on them as this is was an untrue statement.

I guess I don't totally understand. Suave1477 said "correct me if I'm wrong". I don't think he ever claimed to be an expert or said it was bogus. It was pointed out that a single year could be on a tag. Personally, I don't think he owes anyone an apology. He never said the jersey was bogus, and just stated his experience with basketball jerseys. I think that is what this board is for. To bounce stuff off one another in order to feel more comfortable with purchases. We aren't all dealers or authenticators, so we just have to speak what we know. He knew most NBA jerseys come with both years on the tagging.

I hope that I don't come across as rude (I'm not trying to be), but I just want to understand. Where do you think the line was crossed that owed an apology?

trsent
07-13-2006, 04:20 PM
So, I can come on the forum and comment about something that I do not know anything about which may lead people to believe an apparently genuine item may not be genuine because I would like to speculate because I want to get involved with as many discussions as I can even if I am not an expert or have any experience in buying/selling or authenticating this style of jersey?

Was that a run on sentence?

otismalibu
07-13-2006, 05:20 PM
So, I can come on the forum and comment about something that I do not know anything about which may lead people to believe an apparently genuine item may not be genuine because I would like to speculate because I want to get involved with as many discussions as I can even if I am not an expert or have any experience in buying/selling or authenticating this style of jersey?

Yep. It's called a message board. For a guy who's had a computer since the 80s, you should know how these work.

trsent
07-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Yep. It's called a message board. For a guy who's had a computer since the 80s, you should know how these work.

Otis - Do you have a problem with me? If you do, please contact me at the email below and I will gladly discuss it with you.

otismalibu
07-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Otis - Do you have a problem with me?

Well, I don't think you'll ever make my Xmas card list...

Here's some more retraction material for you.

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006430

And in case you're wondering, I have the same user name over there as well. Just stumbled upon it. You're famous!

trsent
07-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, I guess you didn't wish to take me up on my request to discuss any issues you have with me privately via email.

So some people on a forum I have never heard of don't like me and Lions and Tigers and Bears (oh my!) they have reported me (and copied my text) to eBay.

I'm sure eBay wants to lose the $500.00 a month (sometimes as much as $1000.00 a month) to them and the $1000.00 plus a month in fees I pay to PayPal because I have taken an offer for an item that was listed at auction.

I have discussed with eBay issues with their site for this situation, and they have not created a method to make this work for both sides as of today.

Again, since you always like to get into my business and bash me when I was commenting about a jersey that appears genuine on this thread and someone made a comment that may lead someone to believe the item is not genuine because they have never bought any jerseys from this era, you come chiming in with your smart-ass comment about nothing.

Again, if you have a problem, please email me privately. See every post has my real name and email address on it - I am not hiding from anyone and I will gladly privately discuss anything you would like to talk about in private.

As for the game worn hockey jersey community, I am sorry, I am a big Milt Byron fan from when I used to deal with him in the early 1990s (and later from his big collection of professional wrestling tapes) but otherwise I do not know a soul in that industry.

If you have any questions, please be a man and email me at the email address below.

Nilbog
07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
That tag is correct for a champion 1991. here is an Isiah Thomas jocktag, same year.

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2660/folder12891/img2493796.jpg

trsent
07-13-2006, 07:23 PM
That tag is correct for a champion 1991. here is an Isiah Thomas jocktag, same year.

Nice post, thanks for giving us some visual verification for the jersey in discussion.

I have not had many jerseys myself from that era in a fer years, tell me more about your Isiah Thomas.

Nilbog
07-13-2006, 07:34 PM
trsent,
That example came from the current Vintage Authentics auction. it's verified by Lou Lampson. I don't own a jersey from that year but I have seen many examples of that jocktag on the 1991 NBA jerseys.

Looks like the Hardaway went over $500. :eek: The buyer is a huge Hardaway fan.

trsent
07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
trsent,
That example came from the current Vintage Authentics auction. it's verified by Lou Lampson. I don't own a jersey from that year but I have seen many examples of that jocktag on the 1991 NBA jerseys.

Looks like the Hardaway went over $500. :eek: The buyer is a huge Hardaway fan.

Funny, look at the high bidder's eBay user name.

otismalibu
07-13-2006, 08:19 PM
This thread is getting some NLT flava, eh Nilbog?

Nilbog
07-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Greg,
You can never be too informed. Nice surprise to see you here.