PDA

View Full Version : Pink bats in batting practice?

coxfan
06-12-2010, 09:05 AM
On May 30 I bought a "game-used" ball from the Charlotte Knights' Team Store. In fact, I think the ball, which is a MLB ball, is not a Knights' g-u ball at all. I think it's a White Sox BP ball sent down for the Knights ( The White Sox AAA team) to use in BP. The Knights' GM has confirmed to me in the past that Sox send down some of their slightly-used BP balls for this purpose, where they may get mixed in with the true International League g-u balls at the store.

The ball has a pink stain over a torn spot, suggesting it may have been hit by a pink bat on Mothers' day on May 9. I don't think it was game-used by the Sox, since it doesn't seem to have the rub-on mud, and it has the lighter-blue markings I've tended to see on practice-only MLB balls ( The ones that didn't pass the strict tests for g-u balls at the factory, and are sold more cheaply for BP only, according to a TV show I saw.)

So does anyone know if pink bats were used in BP that day, or were they reserved strictly for game use?

kellsox
06-12-2010, 09:20 AM
a couple years ago I saw Phillies players in the batting cages using pink bats the Sat before Mother's Day.
k

coxfan
06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
That's a helpful response, Kellsox. Thanks.

kylehess10
06-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Last year I saw Troy Tulowitski using a pink bat the week after Mother's Day during BP

coxfan
06-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks, Kylehess. Troy must have managed to hang onto his to save his other bats in BP, although he couldn't have used it in games after Mother's Day.