PDA

View Full Version : The Pride of my Padres Collection

Jayworld
06-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I won this 1978 Dave Roberts Home Padres jersey on eBay about two months ago. It was very grungy and dirty with lots of questionable stains. As per another thread I started for a tip to others, I washed it in cold and treated all the stains with Dreft, and then, with many recommendations from several forums members, I sent the jersey off to Lon Lewis for restoration of the missing back number and nameplate. I also sent a vintage 1978 All Star Patch that was missing from the jersey when I obtained it.

Here are before (front/back) and after (front/back) pictures. Just thought I'd share.

Thanks,
Jay

dcrules01
06-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Love them Padres jerseys. The jersey cleaned up well and Lon does fantastic work. Congrats

sox83cubs84
06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Somewhere, there's a whole lot more of those that can be restored. Wayne Otto had nearly the whole enchilada back almost 20 years ago, with all missing NOBs and All-Star patches, some without numbers, and most without the small SAN DIEGO front lettering.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Jayworld
06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Dave, Wayne seems to still have a lot (including a George Hendrick) on his website, but his prices start at $450 and I have had poor luck in him returning any contact requests, etc. Once I asked if I could have a .jpg image of one of the backs of a jersey emailed to me, and I never got a reply. Weird.

Agree, though, that there are several out there. A Chuck Baker sold on eBay last year for about $350, and it looked complete with no restoration. Nicest 1978 Padres home jersey I had seem at that point on eBay. The gold body alternates are near impossible to find. I've seen the Winfield version of the gold body which seems to "float" around the hobby in different collections.