PDA

View Full Version : Bill Mazeroski's 1960 WS GU Jersey found....

cjw
06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Cool story (except the part about Maz's jersey almost being used as a rag to wash a car!) :eek:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10164/1065339-63.stm

BradleyERyon
06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
What a great story!

rj_lucas
06-14-2010, 04:47 PM
At the risk of sounding cynical, I'd want to see independent third-party analysis before accepting this as the actual historic artifact.

The LOA from the original owner lacks credibility since he admittedly had no idea of its origins. Likewise the annotation from Mazeroski, given that players are often the worst authenticators of their own equipment (particularly decades after the fact, as is the case here). A 30-second look-see at a card show hardly qualifies as a forensic examination.

Is it an inconsistency, for example, that the Set 1 flannels would have been worn during the World Series? There are numerous photographs and film of the event. As a starting point, an attempt to find a photo match based on the wealth of visual evidence would be in order.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

karamaxjoe
06-14-2010, 05:04 PM
At the risk of sounding cynical, I'd want to see independent third-party analysis before accepting this as the actual historic artifact.

The LOA from the original owner lacks credibility since he admittedly had no idea of its origins. Likewise the annotation from Mazeroski, given that players are often the worst authenticators of their own equipment (particularly decades after the fact, as is the case here). A 30-second look-see at a card show hardly qualifies as a forensic examination.

Is it an inconsistency, for example, that the Set 1 flannels would have been worn during the World Series? There are numerous photographs and film of the event. As a starting point, an attempt to find a photo match based on the wealth of visual evidence would be in order.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

I completely agree and was thinking the same thing while reading the story. If the commonly agreed rule of thumb was two home and two road jerseys then the owner has a 50% chance of having the real jersey. I also doubt photomatching the jersey would help since the jersey was passed down to the minors or given to the scout which created more use. I'd like to see MEARS take a shot at authenticating the jersey, but I doubt anyone could come up with 100% proof that it was worn in the series.

All things considered, it's a great story and nice flannel from a Hall of Famer that's worth a lot of cash.