PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken Jersey in Upcoming Hunt Auction

silkman22
06-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Hunt's upcoming LIve Auction is scheduled for July 12th in Anaheim. The auction is posted online and I received my catalog today. Of particluar interest to me is lot #127 - a 1989 Cal Ripken, Jr. Game Used Road Jersey:

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=27&lot_num=127&lot_qual=

The year tag looks a little strange and it appears that the number on the back of the jersey is sewn too close to the nameplate.

The biggest issue I find with this jersey deals with the nameplate. I have never seen a photograph of Ripken wearing a jersey with "C. Ripken" on it. My recollection is that Cal and Billy each just had "Ripken" on the back.

Any help or insights (a photo would be great) as to the nameplate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

Garistotle
06-16-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't ever remember Ripken wearing a "C. Ripken" nameplate. In addition, I don't believe the trim on the sleeves is consistent with their 1989 away jerseys. In all examples I've seen, there should be a just a little bit of the grey jersey showing between the trim and the very end of the sleeve. It's subtle and may not make sense here but check out some images of O's wearing the '89 jerseys and look at the very end of the sleeves.

Even back in 1989 - 1990, Rawlings made retail jerseys of a few star players. I bought a Rawlings Ripken jersey in '89 or '90 during a visit to Cooperstown. It was a home version of the jersey in this auction but did NOT have a nameplate on the back (just the #8).

ironmanfan
06-16-2010, 06:44 PM
The ONLY time that Cal Ripken ever wore a jersey with "C.Ripken" on the back was when the Orioles introduced their new uniforms to the public in December of 1988 (and it was a home white jersey to boot!)....

Salesmens sample at best.......

Another bad Ripken jersey on the market

nickacs
06-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Geez, is another bball player heading to bankruptcy or something? lol.. Seems all the "good" jerseys in the Hunt auction are consigned by Mr. Chili Davis.

I would think any memorabilia from another athlete would hold a lot more credibility than any auction house/team letter ever could. But I guess I'm wrong here with this one?? :confused: :eek:

Too bad...There are other jerseys I was thinking of bidding on in the auction, but now I'll pass most likely. The Sandberg, Puckett, Ripken, Gwynn and some others look mighty tasty..

silkman22
06-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the insights. The jersey is already up to $2,970 despite the absence of any proof that Ripken ever wore a jersey with this type of nameplate. It makes me wonder how Chili Davis acquired the shirt in the first place and how it exhibits "use and wash wear".

JP

Technology Whiz
06-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Just a thought...

Billy Ripken DID play for the Orioles from '87-'92 (then again in '96) so maybe there was a set of jerseys made with a "B." and "C." to differentiate the two?....maybe in preseason? Or maybe a special event?

And that's how Chili Davis ended up obtaining this jersey. He played for the Angels in the American League, so he did play the Orioles, leaving the very real possibility he would have had the opportunity to approach Cal and ask for a "jersey" if he was into that sort of thing? And, based on what he's selling in the Hunt auction, it appears he was a jersey collector of the prominent players in the American League.

Is it possible these were made for the season, then the decision was made by the team to stick with the "last name only without first initials", leaving these out there as team issued (but never utilized) jerseys?

I suppose the only person/entity that could answer that question would be the Orioles front office and/or equipment manager.

sox83cubs84
06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Just a thought...

Billy Ripken DID play for the Orioles from '87-'92 (then again in '96) so maybe there was a set of jerseys made with a "B." and "C." to differentiate the two?....maybe in preseason? Or maybe a special event?

And that's how Chili Davis ended up obtaining this jersey. He played for the Angels in the American League, so he did play the Orioles, leaving the very real possibility he would have had the opportunity to approach Cal and ask for a "jersey" if he was into that sort of thing? And, based on what he's selling in the Hunt auction, it appears he was a jersey collector of the prominent players in the American League.

Is it possible these were made for the season, then the decision was made by the team to stick with the "last name only without first initials", leaving these out there as team issued (but never utilized) jerseys?

I suppose the only person/entity that could answer that question would be the Orioles front office and/or equipment manager.

THE Ripken Family expert, Bill Haelig, may know. Could you chime in here, Bill?

Dave M.
Chicago area

ironmanfan
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks Dave....

As I stated above, there never has been a distinction made between Cal Jr., Sr. or Bill with a first initial on jersey NOB's (Spring Training, etc.). The one special event where it was done was for the "unveiling" of these uniforms back in December 1988.....I have pictures of this unveiling, unfortunately they all are from the front...

Technology Whiz
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Dave....

As I stated above, there never has been a distinction made between Cal Jr., Sr. or Bill with a first initial on jersey NOB's (Spring Training, etc.). The one special event where it was done was for the "unveiling" of these uniforms back in December 1988.....I have pictures of this unveiling, unfortunately they all are from the front...

Hi Bill,

Then where do you think Chili Davis got this strange jersey from? Is it possible that he may be thinking he can pass a "bad" jersey due to his major league heritage? I mean, they (Hunt) are certainly advertising these jerseys as "gamers" from teammates and other pros he supposedly obtained these jerseys from, so what's the dirty deal here?

This is the kind of thing that drives people from the hobby, not into it.

ironmanfan
06-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi Bill,

Then where do you think Chili Davis got this strange jersey from? Is it possible that he may be thinking he can pass a "bad" jersey due to his major league heritage? I mean, they (Hunt) are certainly advertising these jerseys as "gamers" from teammates and other pros he supposedly obtained these jerseys from, so what's the dirty deal here?

This is the kind of thing that drives people from the hobby, not into it.

-probably a question best directed to Mr. Davis himself...

-perhaps it was given to him as a trade/gift?...maybe from a Rawlings rep?

-in no way am I trying to state that Mr. Davis consigned this to Hunt Auctions with the knowledge that it isn't game used....

This isn't the first time (nor will it be the last) where an item came from a player that wasn't what it was advertised to be.

Technology Whiz
06-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Well I am in 100% agreement with you.

I don't believe anyone would ever be able to find a photo of Cal in a game wearing a hersey with the "C." like this one...they never wore them.

So where does the responsibility of the auction house come into play?

Maybe an updated description would be in order?

"Exceptional Cal Ripken Jr. game jersey with succinct provenance to Chili Davis." is a foul ball, IMO. Even though it may have "provenance to Chili Davis, you'll have to climb a higher mountain to prove this is a game jersey with that NOB.

ironmanfan
06-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Since the Orioles were off tonight, I took the time to go through my "Lampson-esque" Photo Library of the Ripken family and targeted the year of 1989....I have many laser photos and Baltimore Sun newspaper photos, but the majority of them depict them from the front; however I did find a few pics that show the NOB...I decided to show the laserphoto examples since the year of 1989 is clearly marked on them.....One last aside, this Davis top could NOT be a Spring Training jersey becasue in 1989, the Orioles wore their "old" EBW uniforms (white panel hat with laughing bird) in ST and didn't break out their new uniforms until Opening Day @ Memorial Stadium (vs. Boston)...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Ripken/1-1989-2.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Ripken/1-1989-3.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Ripken/1-1989-4.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Ripken/1-1989-5.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Ripken/1-1989-1.jpg

ironmanfan
06-22-2010, 05:06 PM
I realize that this particular jersey is a home/white one, but I just pulled this off Getty Images to demonstrate a home example that the Orioles NEVER (1989 or otherwise) have differentiated the Ripken's NOB with first initials:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Ripken/1-1989-6.jpg

ironmanfan
06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
It is my understanding that the Ripken jersey in question will be removed from the auction in the very near future (if not already).

Kudos to Hunt for again doing the right thing!