PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujoles Game Used Old Hickory bat.

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 08:07 PM
I recently purchased this Albert Pujols bat from John Taube, full PSA/DNA letter. I figured it is about as rock solid as you can get getting a Pujols bat that isnt photomatched. Its an Old Hickory, I think more than likely from 2006. It has a lot of use; however, the characteristics are all there as well as the handwriting and location on the knob and top. I am pretty happy with it, JT believed that it may have been used in batting practice because of the use which I think is quite possible, I also think it may have been used by someone else during several games. Just wanted to hear what you all think. I am happy with it no matter what.

- Tony

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I mistyped the name, could one of the mods please correct it to PUJOLS, haha, thanks.

-Tony

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 08:28 PM
If your happy, thats all that matters!:)

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
haha, thank you. That doesn't sound to reassuring though!

-Tony

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I do not know anything about AP... but John has always bin honest with me.

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Yea hes the best, I loved the Jeter gamer he just had on there, someone bought it, I'm pretty jealous.

-Tony

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Yea hes the best, I loved the Jeter gamer he just had on there, someone bought it, I'm pretty jealous.

-Tony

I was two hours to late on that block letter he had about a month ago:( . Sold a bat and had the money there just wasnt a bat to buy:( .

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 08:43 PM
How much did he want for it, do you have jeters already, I just like seeing them, if I didnt get this I was looking for a steiner one, but they wanted around $2300 which is ridiculous.

I have a 2003 Louisville AIRDRY model I got from California Sports Investments that is cracked, its got great see marks and his cracked, I love it but you can never have to many Jeters.

-Tony

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I have owned as many as 6 at one time and have had a total of 12. But currently only have one at the moment.

Tony,
I think my wife would argue that statement of never having to many Jeter bats!:D

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 08:52 PM
John wanted, I think $3400 for which was deal. As the Jeter only block letter was a rare variation, John believed there was only 6-8 bat produced like that. Also it had a auction receipt from Turn2 foundation and was signed by jeter.

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
He kills them, I read on here that steiner auctions had them going for around $1500, I thought that was a steal. What year is the one you kept, anything special about, or do you just like look of it?

-Tony

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 09:10 PM
There's nothing special about it, its a 04, just cant seem to part with it. $1500 on Steiner auctions is long and gone the last 3 had a reserve past the $1500 mark.

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 09:12 PM
ugh. thats all I got.

-Tony

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Here maybe you'll get lucky!

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetailed/63375/June-2010-Catalog/Sports/Baseball-Equipment/Lot236~2001-2002-Derek-Jeter-Game-Used-Bat

jetersbatboy
06-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Sorry man your AP thread has changed directions!!!

spartanservitto
06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
haha I guess so.

BrewCrewSackers
06-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah, a lot of his bats are batting practice bats. The Corey Hart bat he just put up is a batting practice bat too. The Prince Fielder bat he has for 499 is also one. The deep white marks are always a dead give away. I also watch every at bat for all the Brewers so I know. I think John T's prices are insane for bats that for the most part aren't really "gameused".

shoremen44
06-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Tony,
I dont know about the year, Jeff would be ble to help you better than I could.

as far as I am concerned the 5 on the knob is very consistant with writing and placement I have seen on other bats... as far as the use is concerned the bat seems pretty hammered, which hasn't been a characteristic of Alberts in the past

So while it may have been used in BP or most likely by another player, I still think it is a nice looking bat

Bert

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the response! That is what I was thinking about the use, I like that there is no tar though on the lower handle. I looked on Bird Bats, the big year he used Old Hickory's was 2006, which is consistent with JT's analysis. Pretty cool bat, I was looking for a nice Pujols and I think I got one.

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Bert,

Did you own that Louisville Pujols that was recently on ebat, I think it was a M356, the upper barrel is cracked and broken off. I saw in an old forum you posted a picture and it looked exactly the same. What are your thoughts on it?

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 09:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Albert-Pujols-Game-Used-Bat-/320548052533?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2271e35#ht_500wt_1070

Here is the link. I like the bat, I think everything fits except for a concern about the tar towards the bottom, but I mean the guy has had light pine tar on his handles before.

-Tony

Game Used Bats
06-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah, a lot of his bats are batting practice bats. The Corey Hart bat he just put up is a batting practice bat too. The Prince Fielder bat he has for 499 is also one. The deep white marks are always a dead give away. I also watch every at bat for all the Brewers so I know. I think John T's prices are insane for bats that for the most part aren't really "gameused".

Brew Crew,

Your post is absolutely ridiculous. I have worked and have been around Major League Locker rooms my whole life. For you to make the statement that leather transfers are products of BP use ONLY is one of the most ludicrous things I have heard on this forum. We all have our points of view and that is fine but to pass it off to other people with the justification that you "watch every at bat for all the Brewers" is ludicrous. Then on top of all this you attack a staple of the game used community because you feel is pricing isn't meeting YOUR standards. Get real, this post sounds like sour grapes not usefull information.

Anthony

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Agreed. I always look to JT first, that is one thing I have learned coming onto this forum, I always feel safer purchasing, I also think the prices are more than fair. One of the major things I have learned in this forum is that if he ok's it, then it's worth it.

I dont understand the dead give away on white deep seem marks? That doesnt make any sense.

-Tony

kellsox
06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Agreed. I always look to JT first, that is one thing I have learned coming onto this forum, I always feel safer purchasing, I also think the prices are more than fair. One of the major things I have learned in this forum is that if he ok's it, then it's worth it.

I dont understand the dead give away on white deep seem marks? That doesnt make any sense.

-Tony
Blanket statements like this is what could eventually lead to problems if you don't do your own research.
Even well respected dealers/authenticators make mistakes and can't possibly know each players traits. As a collector that focuses on a few players, there have been a couple bats on his site that I have passed on due to the fact that I did not believe that they were used by the particular player.

shoremen44
06-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Bert,

Did you own that Louisville Pujols that was recently on ebat, I think it was a M356, the upper barrel is cracked and broken off. I saw in an old forum you posted a picture and it looked exactly the same. What are your thoughts on it?

-Tony

Tony... send me an email

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Blanket statements like this is what could eventually lead to problems if you don't do your own research.
Even well respected dealers/authenticators make mistakes and can't possibly know each players traits. As a collector that focuses on a few players, there have been a couple bats on his site that I have passed on due to the fact that I did not believe that they were used by the particular player.

haha, look im not going to buy something Im not comfortable with. But I would feel more comfortable with these guys Ok'ing, other than "Bobs card shop", a corner store on Gratiot. Or Bill Hicks, reputable Ebay dealer. Im just saying, these guys do it for a living, sure mistakes can be made in anything, but I would feel more comfortable with these guys Ok'ing a bat.

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 09:57 AM
kellsox,

I appreciate your reply though. When I was 21-22 I was not very educated, and got burned on some stuff.

mlbforeverhomer
06-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Just from my experience.... That is a ton of use for a Pujols Gamer. Up until recently he started to apply noticeable amounts for tar on his bats. Also if you look at any of his gamers from 01-07/08 era the bats look hardly used (minus the occasional DEEP seam marks). Just my two cents...

http://www.pujolsfamilyfoundation.org/news/press-releases/2006/PujolsPrimer2006.pdf

Clay

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Just from my experience.... That is a ton of use for a Pujols Gamer. Up until recently he started to apply noticeable amounts for tar on his bats. Also if you look at any of his gamers from 01-07/08 era the bats look hardly used (minus the occasional DEEP seam marks). Just my two cents...

http://www.pujolsfamilyfoundation.org/news/press-releases/2006/PujolsPrimer2006.pdf

Clay

Clay, please contact me!

rj_lucas
06-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree with Clay. The amount of tar on this bat is not consistent with what you would expect on a bat used exclusively by Albert circa 2006.

The amount of tar used by Albert seemed to increase slightly from 2007 to 2008 and then noticeably from 2008 to 2009/2010.

But in 2006 his tar usage was still comparatively light, so much so that in some cases (such as the legit 2006 Pujols currently on Hunt Auctions), the tar is barely visible in photographs.

Regardless of year, the lower grip area should appear devoid of pine tar.

Of course, as has already been pointed out, this bat may have been used by Albert and then by another player who added more tar. That would certainly make sense for a BP bat.

In any case, you don't see a bunch of Pujols branded Old Hickory bats in the market, so it's a bit distinctive in that regard. Enjoy it!

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I've noticed that Albert seems to adjust how he applies pinetar to his bats depending on what brand he uses.

Here is a photo of him holding an old Hickory in the dugout you will notice the pinetar towards the logo stops almost perfectly in a circular fashinion around the bat.

BULBUS
06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I've noticed that Albert seems to adjust how he applies pinetar to his bats depending on what brand he uses.

Here is a photo of him holding an old Hickory in the dugout you will notice the pinetar towards the logo stops almost perfectly in a circular fashinion around the bat.

The pine tar pattern in the picture jives with spartans bat. Also, the tar on spartans bat doesnt seem to be a lot, it just seems to have discolored (collected dirt/dust) over the last few years. Plus, if there is tar near the label and he touches it for grip on his gloves, the tar is going to be on the handle.

There are a lot of Pujols photos out there, have you tried to photomatch it yet?

-Chris

mlbforeverhomer
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Clay, please contact me!

Email me.

claytonlemmons@yahoo.com

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Where are you guys finding the old hickory photos, I cant find any on getty or icon images. I would love to try. I agree with the discoloration, I havent gotten it yet but that was what i was thinking. If you have any places to look, let me know. Im pretty happy with the bat regardless.

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Thank a lot also on the help guys, I feel pretty good that albert did use it at one time, the people at PSA/DNA seemed to be confident also. I think it's safe to say in my eyes that I got a good bat to put with my other key pieces. There was one that Bert owned that was recently on Ebay and pulled down, I emailed the seller. It is the M356 one cracked at the top, did anybody contact the guy and throw an offer on it? Curious, I was interested in that bat also.

-Tony

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank a lot also on the help guys, I feel pretty good that albert did use it at one time, the people at PSA/DNA seemed to be confident also. I think it's safe to say in my eyes that I got a good bat to put with my other key pieces. There was one that Bert owned that was recently on Ebay and pulled down, I emailed the seller. It is the M356 one cracked at the top, did anybody contact the guy and throw an offer on it? Curious, I was interested in that bat also.

-Tony

Tony, I have a collection of photos for Josh Hamilton, Mark McGwire and Albert Pujols saved on my computer. Those are the guys I collect and I find that photo references really help. I am not sure what images are still available from Getty now but I thought you would be interested in the Old Hickory as it has the same pinetar pattern as yours!

With your bat, i would feel confident that it was in the hands of Pujols at one time at least. The Pinetar application looks right pattern wise and although it is a bit heavier it could be because the dirt collects on it. It may have been a BP bat used in games or it could have been used by another player who knows....there are many possiblities and frankly thats how it is with any bat that can't be matched...which is the majority.

I did purchase the m356 on ebay, I knew it belonged to Bert at one time and felt comfortable with it's characeristics. The deep seam impressions are something I always look for in a gamer..to me that is the best sign of actual game useage.

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Email me.

claytonlemmons@yahoo.com

Clay, I have already. I still haven't received payment for the bat yet....when I asked you on the forum...you told me to send your address again that you had misplaced it. Then I wait for payment, still none...and no emails returned..I would much rather discuss privately but this seems to be the only way...

You haven't held up to your word even after we set an exact date to receive payment. What is more frustrating then anything is you bump your want list and I see you trying to get people to contact you regarding other items when you still haven't paid for the bat yet...I don't understand....just some communication would go along way.

Sorry for hijacking the thread it wasn't my intention to do so!

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks STL,

I love that bat you got, I saw it on Ebay and knew I had seen it somewhere. Thanks for looking out. I appreciate the insight and help from everyone on this forum, you keep the hobby safe and clean. Thanks again.

-Tony

GoTigers
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
I sold that M356 on Ebay. It's a nice bat, and I hope youre happy with it STL. I'll post some pictures on here later that I believe show Pujols using bats with tar on the lower handle circa 04-05. I'd love to get everyone's opinion.. Maybe I'm just seeing things

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I agree, I figured that would be the issue with that bat. I think someone saying there is no handle tar on Pujols bats is way to stern on the issue. It is bound to happen when he has tar on his bat at all. The tar itself did not look substantial.

Also sorry to keep messaging you about that haha, I saw it end on June 14th and got excited for a minute, I love that bat though.

-Tony

rj_lucas
06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I agree, I figured that would be the issue with that bat. I think someone saying there is no handle tar on Pujols bats is way to stern on the issue. It is bound to happen when he has tar on his bat at all. The tar itself did not look substantial.

-Tony

Certainly, you might see pine tar in the grip area that has transferred from his batting gloves, but it will be lighter than the application at mid-barrel.

And considering how little he uses any given bat, you wouldn't expect to see much of a build-up from his gloves.

That said, I'm not sure if those same guidelines would apply in the case of a BP bat. Perhaps they get more use and thus, more pine tar built-up in the grip area. I don't know.

I would, however, challenge anyone to produce a photograph of Albert using a bat where pine tar has been applied to the grip area of the handle i.e. an application running from mid-barrel to knob.

I'm not suggesting your bat looks like that, it doesn't. But as I mentioned earlier, the pine tar at mid-barrel looks heavier than you would expect for the period. Would be good to see some additional photos in different light when you have the bat in hand though.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Will do, I'm pretty sure its discoloration of the wood though.

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 06:26 PM
From pine tar none the less, I think being handled etc. Reason being, I think the cut off is to perfect, such as the example of Albert with the other Old Hickory bat.

-Tony

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Here is a similar Old Hickory, with the same pine tar application, its actually a lot more than I thought I would see.

http://jerrytlai.photoshelter.com/image/I0000NDfYQCpk9mY

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Here is another photo from a baseball card.....

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I sold that M356 on Ebay. It's a nice bat, and I hope youre happy with it STL. I'll post some pictures on here later that I believe show Pujols using bats with tar on the lower handle circa 04-05. I'd love to get everyone's opinion.. Maybe I'm just seeing things

It should be arriving soon! While researching Albert's tar patterns I came across some video and photo evidence that Albert may have been putting tar around the handle for a short period in 04 and 05. As rick said earlier he did not run pinetar from the handle to the midsection in coating. What I have noticed is a distinct seperation between handle and then the midsection.

Here is a photo from 2004 showing the handle darkening as well as the midsection leaving the space in between clean.

spartanservitto
06-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Ive noticed it on some. There seems to be a gap in tar in some of his bats, you can definitely tell the bottom is residue also.

-Tony

STLHAMMER32
06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Ive noticed it on some. There seems to be a gap in tar in some of his bats, you can definitely tell the bottom is residue also.

-Tony

yep, I have a view videos that show an almost soiled darker look on the handle like the one I just purchased. After the 05 season I have yet to see that look on one of his gamers.

GoTigers
06-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Both of these are from '04 if I remember correctly. I think the first image is pretty clear that there is tar applied to the lower handle, and I have always thought it may be a match for the M356 I just sold. I couldn't find video of the game though.