PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Game Used Jersey Question

beantown
06-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I am trying to do some research on early 1980's Boston Celtics Game Used Jerseys....Its my understanding that "Real" gamers, should have a "numerical" swatch on the tail of the jersey and that these jerseys were blank and numbered/lettered by the Celtics when needed...can anyone confirm this information???

Also, how different were store bought authentic jersey from this era vs. game used jerseys?

I've attached some photos of both examples...can someone shed some light as to what jerseys may be "used" vs. "authentic retail"???

sox83cubs84
06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
While the numeric swatch tag on your McHale is a Sand-Knit tag, it is the exception, not the rule. The majority of Celtics gamers carried the exclusive and manufacturer tags and that was it.

Keep in mind, too, the Celts jerseys provided by Sand-Knit were a type of cheesecloth that tended to bunch up when hanging up or laid on a table, but stretched sufficiently to cover the players' torsos when worn.

Dave M.
Chicago area

beantown
06-20-2010, 06:44 PM
While the numeric swatch tag on your McHale is a Sand-Knit tag, it is the exception, not the rule. The majority of Celtics gamers carried the exclusive and manufacturer tags and that was it.

Keep in mind, too, the Celts jerseys provided by Sand-Knit were a type of cheesecloth that tended to bunch up when hanging up or laid on a table, but stretched sufficiently to cover the players' torsos when worn.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave,

Hello...thanks for your insight....why do you believe that the numeric swatch on the Celtics Sand Knit Game Used Jersey is more the exception than the rule?

Of the Celtics jerseys I posted, I believe the McHale with the numeric swatch has a greater chance of being Game Used vs. the others without the numeric swatch...

Here is a picture of Larry Bird after the '81 NBA Championship win...note the numeric tag and ONLY the Sand Knit size tag and not the Exclusive tag...

Maybe the Sand Knit numeric tags are late 1970's early 1980's jerseys, with the double Sand Knit tags without the numeric tags are shortly thereafter???? I would still like some insight as why the double Sand Knit tags couldn't be store bought authentics....

sox83cubs84
06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
It could at least partially be attributed to the time of issue, as the Sand-Knit tag on your McHale was one rarely used after 1979.

Dave M.
Chicago area

beantown
06-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Dave,

Are you saying that Sand Knit tagging wasn't produced after 1979, but jerseys could be carried over from earlier years?

sox83cubs84
06-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Dave,

Are you saying that Sand Knit tagging wasn't produced after 1979, but jerseys could be carried over from earlier years?

I'm saying that the type of manufacturer tag seen on the McHale wasn't issued after 1979, but, yes, it could show up on a jersey worn a year or 2 afterwards.

Dave Miedema

33bird
06-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I agree with Dave. I've had quite a few celtics jerseys and studied many others and that wash tag is mostly last 70s-not 80s'. Though I've seen a few.

mufasa982002
10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I have some of these jerseys as well that I purchased as game worn at the Boston Garden Sports Shop when they were liquidating old inventory. All of my sand-knit jerseys have the double tagging and no numeral swatch. They are from 1981-84. When they switched to mesh the numeral swatch returned (eg 1987 Ainge)

mufasa982002
10-14-2010, 06:02 PM
BTW-How do you post a picture from a taken from a digital camera on here?

mufasa982002
10-14-2010, 06:05 PM
It also looks like sometime between 1984-87 the company name switched from Medalist Sand Knit to McGregor Sand Knit.
BTW-Awesome collection beantown!!

mufasa982002
10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi beantown. With regard to the tagging, every jersey in my collection from the Bird/McHale era has just the dual tagging. I do believe the jerseys were lettered by the Celtics themselves as needed. My Chris Ford gamer has a slightly different tint to Ford's name and number than the team name Celtics. As for store bought jerseys I don't believe they existed in the early 1980's. About the only 'authentic' item I ever recall being available were those satin team jackets that were popular back then. I used to spend pretty much all my money on Celtics tickets and merchandise back in the day but was never able to buy a real jersey until game 7 of the 1984 NBA finals when the Boston Garden Sports Shop liquidated their inventory. I bought all I could afford that night (without selling my ticket to the game). I asked on numerous occasions afterward at the same shop about purchasing more jerseys only to be told there weren't any available.