PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm gonna be sick!!!

hockeytigers
06-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I was fortunate enough to meet one of my idols a week ago in Ray Guy. I brought my game used Ray Guy jersey and had him look at it and sign it. He said it looked like one of his and autographed it. This jersey is my grail!!

From Mississippi where I met Ray Guy, I had to go to South Carolina for a few days.

On my return flight home, the airlines lost my baggage. My flight was on Friday and it is now Sunday night, and they cannot find my bag.

Guess what's in my bag...

I have called all weekend, and no sign of it.

If anyone spots an autographed black Ray Guy jersey for sale, please let me know. This jersey is very easy to identify.

Neely8
06-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear. Anytime I travel with game worn jerseys they are always carried on after hearing of jerseys disappearing on several occasions.

legaleagle92481
06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Wow that really sucks sop sorry to hear that hopefully it will turn up. In relation to Neely's advice my recomendation would be to ship items seperately to your home especially if you are stopping elsewhere before you go home. carrying items on the plane involves its own set of problems.

emann
06-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear that, really rough and I'm sure plenty of the collectors on here can identify. The upside (if you want to call it that) is it probably wasn't stolen, just misplaced in transit. I think most of the "lost luggage" is actually "lost" (if somebody in baggage wants to steal something, they usually have time to open the bags, loot what they want and leave the rest), so chances it won't show up for sale. So maybe it will turn up in a cargo hold somewhere...

Nnunnari
06-21-2010, 10:25 PM
That sucks, sorry.
I once shipped a bat which was lost but turned up some two months later, so you never know.

stretch
06-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry to hear the terrible news. I hope it gets resolved and they find your bag, so try to stay positive.

Otherwise, continue to search Ebay, and google caigslist Ray Guy jersey as often as possible.

murfsteve25
06-22-2010, 12:38 AM
wow i am sorry to hear that. when i flew home to ohio from japan, i had all my game used jerseys and baseball in my carry on. theres no way id trust anyone else to take care of my important bags. id rather just hang on to that type of stuff myself. good luck and i hope it turns up.

34swtns
06-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Co-sign on the carry on holding your valuables. Seen too much surveillance footage of airline baggage handlers rooting through bags and/or throwing them around.

Hope yours turns up soon.

camarokids
06-23-2010, 01:45 PM
any word yet on the missing luggage?

hockeytigers
06-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I have called Delta everyday and no luck. The way that this airline is setup, it is virtually impossible to get in touch with anybody. There is one phone number to a central location and they will not give out phone numbers to the individual airports. Some of the people are helpful and some are useless.

I went to the Detroit airport this morning to see if I could find it and the people there were great! They cannot understand how a bag scanned in on a direct flight can show up missing. I spoke with them for over an hour. They suggested and gave me a phone number for security and thought I should take it up with them because it looks very funny in the computer system. They said to me it looks like the bag was stolen by an employee at the airport in Greenville/Spartanberg, South Carolina.

Thanks for all the interest!! In the mean time, if anyone has a game used Ray Guy jersey they would like to sell me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

34swtns
06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Last year I visited a friend in Bloomington, Illinois who is a major collector of rock memorabillia. I purchased several rare autographed LP's from him and because my carry-on was full I had to put them in my luggage. When I got home I opened the suitcase to find that my very carefully packed LP's were all removed from the padded slip case that I placed them in and were banging around with my shoes belts, etc., which were also all displaced. The thing is that I taped up the slip case with several layers of packing tape so it had to be cut open in order to remove the stuff inside.
Fortunately, nothing was missing (probably because there were no rap or hip-hop records) but I was still a little pissed that some nutsack felt the need to check out my stuff.

legaleagle92481
06-24-2010, 10:38 AM
I have called Delta everyday and no luck. The way that this airline is setup, it is virtually impossible to get in touch with anybody. There is one phone number to a central location and they will not give out phone numbers to the individual airports. Some of the people are helpful and some are useless.

I went to the Detroit airport this morning to see if I could find it and the people there were great! They cannot understand how a bag scanned in on a direct flight can show up missing. I spoke with them for over an hour. They suggested and gave me a phone number for security and thought I should take it up with them because it looks very funny in the computer system. They said to me it looks like the bag was stolen by an employee at the airport in Greenville/Spartanberg, South Carolina.

Thanks for all the interest!! In the mean time, if anyone has a game used Ray Guy jersey they would like to sell me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Well the good news is this will probably hit Ebay sometime soon at which point it will be much easier for you to take action and hopefully get the jersey back. Just sit tight and hang in there it will turn up, baggage guys don't steal stuff to keep it the guy probably just took it because it looked valuable to him and he thought he could make some money off it. He probably does not even know who Ray Guy is. In the future though and I would recommend this to everyone: do not travel with your stuff. Send it via insured shipping to your hotel labeled personal and confidental, without any indication as to what is inside. Then ship it to your home. Taking it on a bus or airplane or even a car is very risky. It is worth the extra shipping costs.

ned flanders
06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
How would a baggage handler steal a bag from the airport? With all of the security, cameras, and bad press they've received over the years, you'd think it would be impossible to do that.

I would think that maybe a passenger stole it from the baggage area upon your return. My wife accidentily took someone's identical bag a few years back........that really sucked.....

Neely8
06-24-2010, 10:07 PM
In the future though and I would recommend this to everyone: do not travel with your stuff. Send it via insured shipping to your hotel labeled personal and confidental, without any indication as to what is inside. Then ship it to your home. Taking it on a bus or airplane or even a car is very risky. It is worth the extra shipping costs.

What's wrong with carrying on game worn jerseys if you travel with any? It's not like it's real likely they will leave your sight. Shipping them back and forth would too much of a hassle for me.

34swtns
06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
I think we've already covered that option.

joelsabi
06-24-2010, 10:25 PM
What's wrong with carrying on game worn jerseys if you travel with any? It's not like it's real likely they will leave your sight. Shipping them back and forth would too much of a hassle for me.

couple of scenarios but I am sure there are others.
a) no space in the upper bins and the FA request you to check it in is the worse case scenario. Refuse and check to see if someone is willing to remove a coat from the top compartment
b) when in customs, the inspector removes something when you are not paying attention. keep an eye on the inspector at all times. My cousin had his mini PS3 removed from the box but didnt realize it until he was back on the plane.
c) Request of a gate-check for your carryon luggage.
just no worth the hassle.

LWMM
08-16-2010, 01:43 AM
How did this end?

hockeytigers
08-16-2010, 06:24 AM
I put in a lost baggage claim with Delta Airlines. I have to fly back through the airport where the jersey and bag were stolen in a month so I will flip over a few tables while I'm there :)

When you submit a claim form, it takes 8 to 12 weeks to process the claim. I'm nervous that when I get the check, that most of the stuff will be denied...then I will really be upset.

Thanks for inquiring!!

BO34
09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey FYI Ray Guy game used jersey on ebay now, not signed like yours but might be next best alternative......Hope this helps

hockeytigers
09-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Hey Bo34, Thanks!! I was able to win the ebay auction last night for the Ray Guy jersey...can't wait to get it!! There was another GUU member who sent me an email with a heads up about this jersey also..thank you guys for looking out for me!! The forum has been great to me for the couple years that I have been a member....

Update...I received a check from Delta Airlines this week for the lost luggage and it was only $1,300 short. This process has taken forever and the entire thing is a disgrace towards Delta Airlines. I received the check on Thursday and it did not include anything but a check...no paperwork showing me what they did and did not reimburse me for, no paperwork of anykind, no phone number to dispute the amount, and if I sign and cash the check, then my dispute is over. My battle is not over with them!!!

JackHE
09-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Nice grab on the Guy - I took a shot at it but you still got a great price. I have several Raider jerseys from the seller.

Congrats

J

BO34
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Awesome glad you were able to pick up another Guy jersey....you don't see many Guy jersey's out there...more than Bo Jackson's but still very limited...CONGRATS!

rose14
09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I had a similar situation that was made worse by the airline personel. They sent my luggage to another airport where I had only the clothes on my back for a 10 day vacation in Florida.

After denying my claim even though I had to replace about $900 of items that were initially lost, I filed a small claims against the airline and the counter supervisor who made the screw-up since I knew when the problem happened and later confirmed it when I received my luggage back three weeks after returning.

At the hearing, the counter supervisor showed up with the airlines legal team which had flown in from Minnesota. I was offered $500 or two round trip airline tickets to settle. I eventually settled for an $800 payment that I received within 3 days per our agreement.

hockeytigers
09-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Here are the pictures of the new white Ray Guy jersey...I'm still looking for a black one if anyone spots one. Thanks again to everyone who alerted me to this one!! I check ebay at least a thousand times a day and somehow this one slipped through the cracks...:)