PDA

View Full Version : First Dick LeBeau, then Dino Ciccarelli...who next?

Larry Pelliccioni
06-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Earlier this year I posted up the fact that former Detroit Lion Dick Lebeau was selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I have his home blue jersey and wondered what his selection would mean to the value of it.
Now, Dino Ciccarelli has been selected to the Hockey Hall of Fame and likewise I have his 1992-93 Red Wing jersey.
Who will be next? The road mate of Detroit Tigers pitcher Gallarraga with EH patch or the 2004 championship game patched Ben Wallace Detroit Pistons?
Larry Pelliccioni

legaleagle92481
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
I defintely think Big Ben's a HOFer or at least I hope he is as I also have one of his jerseys. He won a ring went to a second finals, made a bunch of allstar and all defensive teams and was DOP like four timesand one of only men to lead league in boards in blocks in same year.

CollectGU
06-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I defintely think Big Ben's a HOFer or at least I hope he is as I also have one of his jerseys. He won a ring went to a second finals, made a bunch of allstar and all defensive teams and was DOP like four timesand one of only men to lead league in boards in blocks in same year.

The guy averaged 6 pts a game for his career...., he was good defensively but won't even sniff the HOF ..IMO, there are tons of guys ahead of him on that line

legaleagle92481
06-27-2010, 04:24 PM
The guy averaged 6 pts a game for his career...., he was good defensively but won't even sniff the HOF ..IMO, there are tons of guys ahead of him on that line

The NBA HOF is not that hard to get into. Who who is not in and eligible do you feel should be inducted? I would say Rodman personally but he is not in because the writers just hate him. Mullin is another and Don Nelson as a coach. And Artis Gilmore. But beyond that there really are not many who one could argue deserve induction who are not in unlike say the baseball or football HOFs. How great really was James Worthy or Robert Parish? and they both are relatively recent inductees. I am not saying first ballot but I see Ben getting in at some point.

both-teams-played-hard
06-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Ben Wallace in the Hall-of-Fame?
Survey says...
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5994/familyfeud3strikes.jpg

This is a regular baseball argument, that hoop fans should share.

Artis Gilmore? Artis Freakin' Gilmore!

However, that LeBeau shirt sounds nice...

CollectGU
06-28-2010, 08:22 AM
The fact that Bernard King is not in the Hall is a travesty as big as Gilmore....

otismalibu
06-28-2010, 08:45 AM
The fact that Bernard King is not in the Hall is a travesty as big as Gilmore....

BK could drop 40+ on you with a bunch of dislocated fingers.

Artis opened up in the ABA, so not as much exposure. Then he went to the Bulls - not exactly an elite team at the time. By the time he was a Spur, he was in his early 30s. A very good team, but always had the Lakers to deal with. Kinda like the Bucks in the east...bad timing.

Not to mention Artis is a quiet guy, not really too concerned with self-promotion. More people probably know about Darryl Dawkins, than A-Train.

legaleagle92481
06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Its amazing how dilluted the Hockey Hall is. Dino Ciccarelli, a HOFer? Is just crazy. I realize they wanted to have an induction ceremony for $$$ reasons and inducting just two women who never played in the NHL was not going to draw crowds from miles around and Dino will draw in the Wings fans but this is just the latest questionable induction in the past few years. Glenn Andersson, Larry Murphy were others that stick out. Personally I would have inducted Bure because although he had injury problems he was actually a dominant player for awhile there.

otismalibu
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I realize they wanted to have an induction ceremony for $$$ reasons and inducting just two women who never played in the NHL was not going to draw crowds from miles around and Dino will draw in the Wings fans but this is just the latest questionable induction in the past few years.

Let's just hope Dino shows up in pants.

Billy77
06-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Its amazing how dilluted the Hockey Hall is. Dino Ciccarelli, a HOFer? Is just crazy. I realize they wanted to have an induction ceremony for $$$ reasons and inducting just two women who never played in the NHL was not going to draw crowds from miles around and Dino will draw in the Wings fans but this is just the latest questionable induction in the past few years. Glenn Andersson, Larry Murphy were others that stick out. Personally I would have inducted Bure because although he had injury problems he was actually a dominant player for awhile there.

He is a +500 goal scorer...if that means anything anymore???:D

kirkb
06-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Well...I have 4 game worn Herman Moores. Sure wouldnt hurt my cause if Herman were to be voted in. There are many good WR's though. It wouldn't be easy.

gingi79
06-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Personally I would have inducted Bure because although he had injury problems he was actually a dominant player for awhile there.

Finally, someone with the sense to know Pavel Bure was the most electric player on the ice before his knees failed him. People paid money to watch him. I know, I was one of them! That photo on NHL.com where he is flying through the air and scoring? I was at that game. It was on Long Island and believe me, he took the puck from behind Kirk McLean, through all 5 Isles and behind the Isles goalie. Even Islander fans said "Damn, that was pretty." Pavel Bure would have been the all time Russian Goal leader, a 500 goal scorer and a lock for the Hall if Steve Smith of the Chicago Blackhawks didn't cheapshot him with a knee on knee hit in 1995. He was never the same after that. (And yet he was still incredible. Just look at his seasons in FLA, his 2000 Olympics with 5 goals in a game and even his short tenure with the *shutter* Rangers where he was unstoppable)

Of course the fact I have a MeiGray registered Skate Logo Bure certainly makes me a homer. :p

Larry to answer your question old friend, I'll throw down the gauntlet. Pete Stoyanovich for your next HOF :eek:

ivo610
06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
The NBA HOF is not that hard to get into. Who who is not in and eligible do you feel should be inducted? I would say Rodman personally but he is not in because the writers just hate him. Mullin is another and Don Nelson as a coach. And Artis Gilmore. But beyond that there really are not many who one could argue deserve induction who are not in unlike say the baseball or football HOFs. How great really was James Worthy or Robert Parish? and they both are relatively recent inductees. I am not saying first ballot but I see Ben getting in at some point.

I think the basketball HOF is the only HOF that takes college into consideration for selections.

Parrish is a legit inductee as he played from 76-97 and was a 9 time allstar I believe. But I agree that its the most water downed HOF, they just induct way to many people.

legaleagle92481
06-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I think the basketball HOF is the only HOF that takes college into consideration for selections.

Parrish is a legit inductee as he played from 76-97 and was a 9 time allstar I believe. But I agree that its the most water downed HOF, they just induct way to many people.

The problem I have with the Chief is that he just wasn't domiant. On his own team he was the 3rd best player behind Larry and Mchale. He never made an all-nba first team in 20 plus seasons and only one each of second and third teams. He never led the league in a major stat category and averaged less than 15 and 10 despite being seven feet tall. The allstar games don't sway me because the NBA allstar game is not the hardest thing in the world to make look at how many times carter and tmac have gone without deserving it. and i believe you are right that it is the only hof that considers college.

otismalibu
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
And Artis led his team to an NCAA title game.

legaleagle92481
06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
It would be great if the NBA and college halls were seperated. Alot of guys ala Jay Williams, Ed O'Bannon who were busts in the NBA belong in a college HOF but obviously noone would put them in the current HOF because of the taint of their terriable NBA careers. Like the college football HOF I believe Gino Toretta is in there and obviously he would never make a combined HOF because of his miserable pro career. Plus it is just weird to see people like Bobby Knight, Coack K. and Dean Smith who have never been associated with the nba alongside, Red Auberach, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley.

both-teams-played-hard
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
It would be great if the NBA and college halls were seperated. Alot of guys ala Jay Williams, Ed O'Bannon who were busts in the NBA belong in a college HOF but obviously noone would put them in the current HOF because of the taint of their terriable NBA careers. Like the college football HOF I believe Gino Toretta is in there and obviously he would never make a combined HOF because of his miserable pro career. Plus it is just weird to see people like Bobby Knight, Coack K. and Dean Smith who have never been associated with the nba alongside, Red Auberach, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley.
Don't forget, International coaches and players are in the Basketball HOF. Also, female players and coaches. And the Globetrotters.
The amount of professional players coached by Bob Knight, Coach K. and Dean Smith make them automatically associated with the NBA.

cuteitalianmary
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Larry,
I would make you a fabulous offer on the LeBeau durene Lions jersey. He was my favorite player growing up. Please contact me.
Gus LeDonne
grledonne@comcast.net