PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg mania continues - MLB '70 Senators jerseys up

nickacs
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Strasburg and other National's players up on MLB Auctions for their '70 Senators throwback jerseys:

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=125094985&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=125441695

Let's see how high his goes?! $10k at least I say... It's already at $1k in less than 24hrs.

Uhhh, the the mania continues! :cool:

allstarsplus
06-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Strasburg and other National's players up on MLB Auctions for their '70 Senators throwback jerseys:

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=125094985&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=125441695

Let's see how high his goes?! $10k at least I say... It's already at $1k in less than 24hrs.

Uhhh, the the mania continues! :cool:

Since you like Michael Jordan, you will like the Michael Jordan question.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100627&content_id=11645320&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Strasburg has very long fingers and can make the balls dance. He has movement on his pitches which makes him special to go with a 100 MPH fastball and 92 MPH changeup.

Now then, is a jersey he wore in a game he didn't pitch in worth 10K? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I took some photos of him yesterday in the Throwback:

nickacs
06-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Ah, didn't know he didn't pitch, just figured since it was "game used". Not following this "Stras mania" is fine for me as I could care less about him or any of his memorabilia.

I still say this "game used" jersey is going to go for a lot more than $1k as it sits now. Maybe not $10k, but definitely a few thousand, as there's lot of suckers out there eating this crap up alive for an unproven MLB player.

Have fun!

legaleagle92481
06-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Question for the masses: On Ebay there are a slew (or at least there was the other day) of balls that the seller cites are GU from Strats debut game. They are MLB holoed and they are listed in the MLB database as "game ready" baseballs from Strats debut game. Does anyone know more about this? Is it just like jerseys that the chain of custody broke so MLB wont list them as GU though they are or were they never actually used in the game?

allstarsplus
06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Question for the masses: On Ebay there are a slew (or at least there was the other day) of balls that the seller cites are GU from Strats debut game. They are MLB holoed and they are listed in the MLB database as "game ready" baseballs from Strats debut game. Does anyone know more about this? Is it just like jerseys that the chain of custody broke so MLB wont list them as GU though they are or were they never actually used in the game?

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-STRASBURG-GAME-BALL-MLB-DEBUT-w-MLB-HOLO-/290448088953?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a00e1f79

Yes, those are the balls that the umpire still had in his pouch at the end of the game and also balls ready to come into the game that weren't used.

MLB has hologram'd game ready balls before at the World Series and All Star game.

joelsabi
06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-STRASBURG-GAME-BALL-MLB-DEBUT-w-MLB-HOLO-/290448088953?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a00e1f79

Yes, those are the balls that the umpire still had in his pouch at the end of the game and also balls ready to come into the game that weren't used.

MLB has hologram'd game ready balls before at the World Series and All Star game.

Two groups:

LH556801-5560820
"GAME-READY BALLS FROM STEPHEN STRASBURG'S MLB DEBUT

LH556821-LH556835
"GAME-READY BALLS FROM STEPHEN STRASBURG'S MLB DEBUT FROM UMBIRE TOM HALLION'S BALL BAG

allstarsplus
06-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Two groups:

LH556801-5560820
"GAME-READY BALLS FROM STEPHEN STRASBURG'S MLB DEBUT

LH556821-LH556835
"GAME-READY BALLS FROM STEPHEN STRASBURG'S MLB DEBUT FROM UMBIRE TOM HALLION'S BALL BAG

Joel - Thanks for the research. I have never seen them break the holograms down like that. So almost 3 dozen balls in total that were game ready.

geoff
06-28-2010, 02:43 AM
I was at The Game And Telling my GirlFriend his Jersey will go for like around 5 Grand.She even said but He is not Playing.I told her it does not matter because his Stuff is very Hot right now And People will Pay for his Items.I was very Close to getting his Autograph but did not.He Signed for A Kid Next to me on Friday Night.

Thanks
Geoff

rj_lucas
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Joel - Thanks for the research. I have never seen them break the holograms down like that. So almost 3 dozen balls in total that were game ready.

Also be aware that MLB has authenticated 'replica' lineup cards for the game. In the case of the Pirates card, the actual card plus two 'replica' cards are listed in the MLB database.

This is a very unfortunate precedent e.g. last week the Pirates auctioned one of the replica cards, describing it as the game used lineup card with no disclosure of the replica cards.

Authentication of these 'replica' cards is not limited to the Strasburg debut game. I recently encountered another one from the Cardinals/Cubs game played on May 30.

Buyer beware.

MLB, please recognize that practices such as this violate the historic integrity of these events and the artifacts that come out of them.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

BaseballGM
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I was at The Game And Telling my GirlFriend his Jersey will go for like around 5 Grand.She even said but He is not Playing.I told her it does not matter because his Stuff is very Hot right now And People will Pay for his Items.I was very Close to getting his Autograph but did not.He Signed for A Kid Next to me on Friday Night.

Thanks
Geoff

Geoff thanks for posting. There have been some rumors flying around that he is not signing for ANYONE, even kids. Glad to hear that is not true.

allstarsplus
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Geoff thanks for posting. There have been some rumors flying around that he is not signing for ANYONE, even kids. Glad to hear that is not true.

Stephen signed a lot in Spring Training. He definitely signed for the kids at Nats Park. I heard the autograph hounds have been staking out the team hotel for him.

legaleagle92481
06-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks
Geoff

Ah it brings up the whole what is a game worn jersey debate. It may still have good use though. I reluctantly got a Trevor Hoffman that was worn on a throwback night that he did not pitch and it is covered with dirt. I guess he warmed up in it or something. Maybe for the price the Stratburg buyer will get the same.

allstarsplus
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Ah it brings up the whole what is a game worn jersey debate. It may still have good use though. I reluctantly got a Trevor Hoffman that was worn on a throwback night that he did not pitch and it is covered with dirt. I guess he warmed up in it or something. Maybe for the price the Stratburg buyer will get the same.

I have photos of him in the jersey. Not a bit of dirt on it.

yanks12025
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Not about game used but can you believe people think he deserves to be in the all-star game. I'm sorry but he's only played in acouple games.

Manram
06-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Not about game used but can you believe people think he deserves to be in the all-star game. I'm sorry but he's only played in acouple games.

I have to totally agree with you. Pitched in 5 games and been in the league like 35 days. Other people say they want to see him up against the best players in the league, and that he would help the NL win the game. Should he be taking up a roster spot of someone who worked really hard to make the team??? People have mixed feelings about this subject.

geoff
06-28-2010, 11:40 PM
I Talk with some of those Autograph Guys at The Orioles Games And they all say He does not Sign for them or even look up when they Call his Name out.I Wonder if some of those Guys Work because they go to A Different Ball Park like EveryDay.They also do Minor League Parks as well.I collect Autographs also And will get him to Sign A Ball for me SomeDay as He will be around for A Long Time.

Thanks
Geoff

legaleagle92481
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Allstar? No way. Tonight was his first bad start not coincidentally against the best team he has faced. By the allstar game he might not even be a .500 pitcher. Has any starting pitcher with say a 2-4 record ever made the AllStar Team? If they go down that road why not just add Michael Stanton, Ike Davis, Buster Posney and all the other rookies who appear to have bright futures but have short big league resumes. There are a slew of worthy NL pitchers: Jimenez should start, Halladay, Tim Linecum and Mike Pelfrey are locks to go. I don't think he will make it because the Nats representative will be either Pudge or Zimmerman since they are among the best at razor thin positions.

cjclong
06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Agreed he has been in the league too short a time to put him the HOF. He's a young pitcher with great stuff and command who is still learning his trade. "Bad start" against the Braves is relative. He held them scoreless through 5 innings. In the 6th the shortstop booted what appeared to be a sure double play ball. If the rather routine play had been made he likely gets out of the inning with no runs. Any pitcher is going to have problems handling a situation that should be two outs and a runner on thrid that turns into no outs and the bases loaded. And in his previouls two starts the Nationals scoured 1 and 0 runs while he only gave up 1.

kylehess10
06-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I was at the Braves game yesterday for Strasburg's start and I noticed every single foul ball was picked up by a batboy and thrown straight to an MLB Authenticator sitting right next to Bobby Cox near the dugout. Now you'll see them up in no time on MLB auctions. There were a few that were thrown by Strasburg to Chipper Jones so you'll see some of those for sure fetch high prices. It's crazy.

xpress34
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM

Why not? I mean J-Roll was leading all NL shortstops in voting after having only played in 12 games this year while he was on the DL.

It's a popularity contest plain and simple and right now, Strasburg is popular.

- Chris

Crash1207
06-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Why not? I mean J-Roll was leading all NL shortstops in voting after having only played in 12 games this year while he was on the DL.

- Chris

I do agree with you that the ASG has become a huge popularity contest and that is why you see really horrible choices in the starting lineup by the fans.

But, the pitchers are all selected by the managers and I would hope that Charlie Manual has enough sense to realize that the kid just hasn't put in the time this year. He'll make plenty of ASG in the future, don't take away a spot from a worthy player to give one to a kid with less than a month of service time.

legaleagle92481
06-30-2010, 08:37 AM

- Chris

The problem with certain positions is they are so shallow that you cannot find two worthy allstars. At shortstop in the NL besides Hanley, who else deserves to go to the game? JRoll has had the most successful career of the other NL shortstops so sending him makes sense. Some positions like NL catcher, AL shortstop, AL third base other than Longoria there are some real hard choices this year. Yes it is a popularity contest and I don't blame the fans for wanting to see the biggest stars but the fans do not select the pitchers and there are a slew of worthy pitchers and one of them would have to be left off for a guy who may be 2-4 with under ten big league appearances when the game occurs.

xpress34
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
The problem with certain positions is they are so shallow that you cannot find two worthy allstars. At shortstop in the NL besides Hanley, who else deserves to go to the game? JRoll has had the most successful career of the other NL shortstops so sending him makes sense. Some positions like NL catcher, AL shortstop, AL third base other than Longoria there are some real hard choices this year. Yes it is a popularity contest and I don't blame the fans for wanting to see the biggest stars but the fans do not select the pitchers and there are a slew of worthy pitchers and one of them would have to be left off for a guy who may be 2-4 with under ten big league appearances when the game occurs.

The problem with your statement is that the All Star Game was intended to be played by the players with the most successful SEASON that year - not their past career. And if he hadn't gone on the DL, Troy Tulowitzki was easily deserving to go, but like usual he doesn't play on the East or West coast, so he gets forgotten under the Coast Bias. (My .02 - but you did fail to mention him).

Just like 2007 - he should have been ROY but the writers were enamored with Braun's HRs - even though he made 3 times as many errors as Troy in a 1/3 as many games. And he was shafted on the Gold Glove too - which has also become a popularity contest - as it is SUPPOSED to be for best DEFENSE at the position and Tulo smoked J-Roll in 2007 defensively. But (even the writer's said as much) J-Roll had better offensive numbers (really for a DEFENSIVE award? but I digress) and they also flat out said that Tulo's numbers didn't matter because they have not and WILL not give the Gold Glove to a Rookie.

I understand the MGR picks the pitchers, but I have seen ASG MGRs make poor choices before, so Strasburg being named would not surprise me - especially with all the money MLB would make from jersey sales and AUTOd ASG items that they could list on MLB.com. Don't think for a minute that MLB won't be in Manuel's ear pushing him to name the kid to the roster.

Hell, did you see the latest BS with 'pimping out' Strasburg?

The Topps Million Card Give Away Promotion made a RC card of Strasburg available the night of his debut. They are limited and being randomly awarded to people redeeming codes....

Well, while redeeming two more codes last night, I saw a message on Topp's site:

http://www.toppscards.com/CustomerService/AboutUs.aspx

The 1st 300 people to Redeem their Strasburgs (in other words, ask for the card to be shipped to them) can pay the small sum of $350.00 to have their cards signed by Strasburg before being shipped out!

Wow! Let's just squeeze every last penny we can get/make out of this kid MLB!

If he falters, this will easily be the biggest Rookie bust in history due to all the 'pimping' and such that MLB has done on this kid - not to mention the Nationals themselves.

Sorry for the Rant all (again, my .02) bu I a just tired of hearing about how he's going to be this that and the other. The proof is in the pudding as they say... and again I say: David Clyde, Brian Taylor, Todd Van Poppel, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Ben McDonald... need I go on?

All the best -

Chris

hippo916
07-03-2010, 11:51 PM
In the past, a few teams have been know to issue two sets of TBTC jerseys for a TBTC game. One set was worn on the field, and the other was not. Because none of the descriptions state the jerseys being auctioned were used or worn, how do collectors know these teams did not have an unused/unworn set and that it is the set being auctioned? Did anyone ask for clarification from MLB? I ask because I am interested in UVA alumni Ryan Zimmerman's jersey. But I do not want to pay a premium for what turns out to be an autographed extra jersey.

section227
07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Anyone get any clarification as to whether these are game worn? Still don't see any changes on the MLB listing and it seems like they are just being offered as "autographed."

nickacs
07-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Found this link citing the same Baltimore Orioles throwback jerseys auctioning off from the same game:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/fan_forum/auction.jsp

Looks like the Washington & Baltimore jerseys are indeed "game used" according to the website, but who knows for sure. Would've been nice if the MLB site descriptions actually said so.

Good luck!

TNTtoys
07-09-2010, 02:52 PM
This just in... Strasburg is going to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame...

:p

http://www.readtheapple.com/2010/07/strasburg-to-be-inducted-into-baseball.html

kylehess10
07-12-2010, 03:14 AM
I was at the Braves game yesterday for Strasburg's start and I noticed every single foul ball was picked up by a batboy and thrown straight to an MLB Authenticator sitting right next to Bobby Cox near the dugout. Now you'll see them up in no time on MLB auctions. There were a few that were thrown by Strasburg to Chipper Jones so you'll see some of those for sure fetch high prices. It's crazy.

Just as I thought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-Strasburg-Nationals-Game-Used-Baseball-v-Braves-/380250222123?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5888adee2b