PDA

View Full Version : Do I Have A Nick Swisher? Opinions please

yankees506
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Ok so i got this bat a while back and made the purchase thinking id just be getting a nice bat, steiner coa states "yankees 2009 game used bat". I know this designation is made when the player who used the bat cannot be identified. When i got the bat i noticed the tape job..... I know this is swishers 2009 tape job for sure (this year he is using a longer version almost all the way to the center brand). But i dont know if i can call this one of his bats... The tape is right, tar application is spot on..... What is it??? A gamer? A BP bat? opinions please!!!

kylehess10
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
That bat company sounds unfamiliar. Maybe it's one of those bats given to players to try out? If that company isn't a brand allowed to be used in games, then it'd just be a BP bat.

sctizzle
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Yes, that is how swisher taped last year for the majority of the season...during the playoffs for a few games the tape went higher toward the center brand. I have one like that and is matched to the alds. He primarily used white tape but also used black tape for a bunch of games.

Scott

metsbats
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I found these photos on Getty images.

shafrancollectibles.com
07-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I am out of the country right now so don't have access to all my images but i have a Kevin Cash bat from 2009 with a very similar tape job to Swisher's so you may not be able to conclusively call it a Swisher. Plus, I don't think that bat would have ever seen action in a regular game.

I just sold a Swisher with the black tape. Again, don't have my data but I think he only used the black during 2 or 3 weeks last season

yankees506
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
The bat has a bunch of seam marks and ink transfers, im just not sure if ive ever seen players tar bats for bp....... this is confusing, im hoping swish at least swong the bat

OaklandAsFan
07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
does is have BLS on the knob? He used to write that on all of his bats on the A's and I am pretty sure he continued to do so with the Sox and the Yankees.

metsbats
07-02-2010, 06:24 AM
The couple of samples I found on Getty shows blank knobs on Swishers bats so far as a Yankee. Perhaps usage characteristics may help decide. I found a couple of photos of Swisher and heavily tarred bats near the center brand similar to your bat. I also I'm assuming there is no number on the knob of your bat which is consistent with some of the photos I found on Swisher knobs.

You'll need to find out use characteristics of Kevin Cash (ie did he put his number or other marking on his bat knob and how he applied pine tar to his bats.

Lastly Swisher is a switch hitter and Cash is a right handed hitter. Are any ball marks on your bat on the side of the bat consistent with a right handed hitter or on both sides of the label which may indicate use by a switch hitter.

GoTigers
07-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Does Steiner sell BP bats as "game used"? I hope not.

yankees506
07-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks to all, there is no number on the bat just the bat weight, and there are markings all over the barell, I just found out that americas bat co is mlb approved to be used in games........:cool:

BULBUS
07-02-2010, 08:30 AM
im just not sure if ive ever seen players tar bats for bp....... this is confusing

Why would players not use pine tar during bp? I've seen plenty of bp bats with pine tar.

suave1477
07-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Pine tar is used for grip.

So I am not saying this in a bad way but just making a logical point.

Why would you use pine tar during a regular game and not BP? You still need the grip right?

yankees506
07-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok maybe tar for bp, but do you guys have opinions if this bat could be a swisher bp or gu? Any guess is as good as mine, I think its a swisher, the tape and the tar match and the markings on both sides of the barrel......

nycpropain
07-03-2010, 12:21 AM
No one will be able to say for sure. Does it have similarities sure, but for all you know he taped it for a bat boy to take some swings. Or even a equipment trainer tried copying Swishers tape job, anything is possible.

yankees506
07-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Any other opinions???