PDA

View Full Version : Orioles Jersey Questions

navysportsfan
07-16-2006, 10:47 AM
As a newbie, I have some basic questions becasue I am looking to purchase a couple new era Orioles jerseys.

Do the current (2004, 2005) Os jerseys have velcro in between the buttons?

Do the current Os jerseys have nameplates on the back?

Any and all information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

allstarsplus
07-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Stay away from New Era jerseys (lol). New Era makes the caps. Majestic is the jersey maker.

Cal Ripken made the velcro strip between buttons popular but that is a custom alteration that I would suspect few Orioles players on the current roster have.

Interior wash tag is a 0062 code on the bottom.

Since many "common" Orioles jerseys are sold at the pre-season Fanfest in Baltimore, there are many good ones that dealers have and eBay.

Good luck! Andrew
www.AllstarsPlus.com (http://www.AllstarsPlus.com)

navysportsfan
07-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Sorry for the confusion. By "new era", I ment current and not the manufacturer.

Do Os jerseys have nameplates or are the names just sewn dirrectly onto the jersey?

trsent
07-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Do Os jerseys have nameplates or are the names just sewn dirrectly onto the jersey?

To answer your question, it takes some leg-work to answer it yourself, but if you go to:

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/ms_gins/source/home/home.aspx?pg=1

...which is the Getty Images site, do a search first for "2004 Orioles" and you'll find 36 pages of images from 2004. Surf through them and sooner or later you'll find some of player's backs which you can determine if there is a name-plate. Then do the same search for the 2005 Orioles.

Good luck!

navysportsfan
07-16-2006, 12:54 PM
To answer your question, it takes some leg-work to answer it yourself, but if you go to:

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/ms_gins/source/home/home.aspx?pg=1

...which is the Getty Images site, do a search first for "2004 Orioles" and you'll find 36 pages of images from 2004. Surf through them and sooner or later you'll find some of player's backs which you can determine if there is a name-plate. Then do the same search for the 2005 Orioles.

Good luck!

After looking at hundreds of little 1 inch square pictures, I cannot tell for sure but it appears that the Os did not wear a nameplate on their jerseys in 2004 and 2005.

Can anyone out there answer this quesiton for sure?
Does anyone own a 2004 or 2005 Os jersey?

trsent
07-16-2006, 01:12 PM
After looking at hundreds of little 1 inch square pictures, I cannot tell for sure but it appears that the Os did not wear a nameplate on their jerseys in 2004 and 2005.

Can anyone out there answer this quesiton for sure?
Does anyone own a 2004 or 2005 Os jersey?

If you click on the one inch picture, it will expand to full size. If you are still unsure, save the picture to your hard drive and then open the file and zoom in to see for sure.

navysportsfan
07-16-2006, 02:20 PM
In case an other newbie like myself cares, I am 99 percent positive that the Orioles did not use nameplates in 2004 and 2005. It appears they just applied the letters to the back without a nameplate.

trsent
07-16-2006, 03:12 PM
In case an other newbie like myself cares, I am 99 percent positive that the Orioles did not use nameplates in 2004 and 2005. It appears they just applied the letters to the back without a nameplate.

I just called a buddy who told me the following:

From his recollection, the last year the Orioles wore a nameplate was 1998. From 1999 to present, no nameplate was used.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will respond with more complete details tonight or tomorrow as there are some real experts on this forum.

mr.miracle
07-16-2006, 08:51 PM
This sounds like a job for Mark "Big Time" Sutton. He is one of the resident Orioles jersey experts after I think 1989. He would be able to give you a definitive answer on all of your Orioles jersey questions. I am sure he will chime in soon. Mark, please come and save the day.

thanks
Brett

bigtime59
07-17-2006, 06:57 AM
This sounds like a job for Mark "Big Time" Sutton. He is one of the resident Orioles jersey experts after I think 1989. He would be able to give you a definitive answer on all of your Orioles jersey questions. I am sure he will chime in soon. Mark, please come and save the day.

thanks
Brett

Brett:
Thanks. I feel like I should be riding a horse now...
Although I have seen scattered exceptions to this rule in 1995, the Orioles wore nameplates from 1989-1998. (I believe they wore plates through all of the 1980s, but don't have evidence from every year to prove it.) Nameplates were dropped for the 1999 season, and haven't been used since, except for the first series of the 2000 season, their first using Majestic jerseys. Those jerseys were pulled after the first homestand ended, and haven't been seen since.

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

1983Orioles
07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm a newbie to this site as well. I'm a huge O's fan, and I own a 2004 game worn autographed Miguel Tejada home jersey, and a 2005 Sammy Sosa game worn home jersey and on both jerseys the name on the back does not have a nameplate. The letters are just sewn onto the jersey. I hope that helps you out.

mr.miracle
07-18-2006, 07:57 AM
1983 Orioles:

As a lifelong O's fan, I can say you have my deepest sympathy. The best thing that could happen to that team is for Peter Angelos to get hit by a truck. Anything at this point would be better than his buffoonery except maybe the Glass family who own the KC Royals.

Brett Herman
brettherman2131@hotmail.com

allstarsplus
07-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Brett - The 1966 Orioles, 1969 to 1971 and of course 1983 and all the fun of when Camden Yards was built then.....Angelos buys the team.

I share with your pain and have similar thoughts as I made the switch of spending my $$$$$$$$ from the Orioles to the Nationals as I just didn't want to support Angelos.

The Pirates fans and Royals fans surely share in the pain. Check out this site as fans want Mark Cuban to buy the Pirates (lol).

http://www.iratefans.com/

Andrew