PDA

View Full Version : MODS: Question re: dispute with GUU member

emann
07-14-2010, 11:01 PM
This is a topic I wish I didn't need to post (and apologies in advance if this is the wrong section). I've been a member here for a few years now and am experiencing an issue with another GUU member via a purchase from the classifieds section. The issue is currently in Paypal dispute stage, but am concerned this might affect other members as the seller had a number of items for sale.

The seller was friendly until the item arrived not as described (it is a bat with an undescribed crack) and then basically accused me of cracking it and denied the Paypal refund. I had (foolishly) already returned the item via tracked mail to the seller (since I figured he'd honor a return guarantee he'd made and he seemed trust-worthy via his forum persona. So, now no bat, no money and no email replies from the seller.

So, the question is should I post my concerns directly to his "sale thread" if this issue doesn't resolve itself via Paypal's claim? I don't really want to air dirty laundry in the forum, but if it helps others avoid problems I will. Please advise.

jetersbatboy
07-14-2010, 11:35 PM
We post about bad experiences on eBay, with buyers and sellers. Just because your a member of the forum doesn't make a person any different.

jetersbatboy
07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
We post about bad experiences on eBay, with buyers and sellers. Just because your a member of the forum doesn't make a person any different.

Just because the person is a member of the forum doesn't make him better then a ebay seller or buyer.

This is what I meant to say...:o

emann
07-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks Scott. I want to wait for a response from Paypal (or him, although he hasn't replied to my emails in days) before I post his name or anything. I want to make sure he has fair chance to solve this issue.

legaleagle92481
07-15-2010, 12:20 AM
This is a topic I wish I didn't need to post (and apologies in advance if this is the wrong section). I've been a member here for a few years now and am experiencing an issue with another GUU member via a purchase from the classifieds section. The issue is currently in Paypal dispute stage, but am concerned this might affect other members as the seller had a number of items for sale.

The seller was friendly until the item arrived not as described (it is a bat with an undescribed crack) and then basically accused me of cracking it and denied the Paypal refund. I had (foolishly) already returned the item via tracked mail to the seller (since I figured he'd honor a return guarantee he'd made and he seemed trust-worthy via his forum persona. So, now no bat, no money and no email replies from the seller.

So, the question is should I post my concerns directly to his "sale thread" if this issue doesn't resolve itself via Paypal's claim? I don't really want to air dirty laundry in the forum, but if it helps others avoid problems I will. Please advise.

mods,

i am the seller in question and i am requesting that this thread be deleted or closed immediately. this matter is being handled by paypal. i have photographic evidence disproving the buyers claim and i am confidant that paypal will side against the buyer. all of my items are described as is and there was no undisclosed crack. i dont think any seller not even a huge company is going to take an item back in a condition worse then it was in when it was sold. noone told the buyer to send the bat back and he should not have done so. that being said i am not going to rip anyone off and i am going to refuse delivery of it when it arrives so it will be returned to the buyer. i am not answering his emails because paypal will be the final arbitrator of the dispute and other than this statement i am not discussing the matter off paypal to allow paypal's dispute resolution process to take its course. i have had many, many smooth transactions at a dollar value much, much higher than the small dollar amount at stake here and i stand by my reputation and my history of fully satisfied buyers. in fact this is the first buyer to not be satisfied with an item i sold. Thank you.

emann
07-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Unsure why you would post to the thread as I never mentioned you or your items in it. I just posted I wanted to give you every chance to make it right first!

The seller described one repaired crack and agreed to a refund if I wasn't happy. The bat arrived and had a second un-repaired crack in the handle. I want my refund as promised, he gets his bat back.

Here is the "photographic evidence" he sent before I got the bat. Not a very clear photo, huh? Which is why I asked about the bat condition. The shipping package is not visibly damaged and I certainly didn't crack the bat? We could have avoided a Paypal dispute days ago, you decided not to answer emails re: the bat's condition (or anything for that matter).

The purchase was $215, which although not huge, is not what I consider a particularly small dollar amount.

legaleagle92481
07-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Unsure why you would post to the thread as I never mentioned you or your items in it. I just posted I wanted to give you every chance to make it right first!

The seller described one repaired crack and agreed to a refund if I wasn't happy. The bat arrived and had a second un-repaired crack in the handle. I want my refund as promised, he gets his bat back.

Here is the "photographic evidence" he sent before I got the bat. Not a very clear photo, huh? Which is why I asked about the bat condition. The shipping package is not visibly damaged and I certainly didn't crack the bat? We could have avoided a Paypal dispute days ago, you decided not to answer emails re: the bat's condition (or anything for that matter).

The purchase was $215, which although not huge, is not what I consider a particularly small dollar amount.

I have nothing to hide here so why would I not post to this thread? The bottom line is no seller is going to take back an item in worse condition then when it was sold. I reiterate my previous request that the thread be deleted or closed immediately.

LastingsMilledge85
07-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Did you save the emails discussing the condition of the bat?

trsent
07-15-2010, 01:13 AM
I have nothing to hide here so why would I not post to this thread? The bottom line is no seller is going to take back an item in worse condition then when it was sold. I reiterate my previous request that the thread be deleted or closed immediately.

Funny you should say that, with eBay disputes, PayPal doesn't care if an item is returned in a different condition, they almost always side with the buyer in these situations as long as the buyer shows they returned a box weighing the same amount that was shipped originally by the seller.

Bad policy, but you see horror stories all over about PayPal siding with buyers in situations that are not right.

I don't know who is right or wrong here, but I know if it was an eBay/PayPal dispute, if the buyer sends the item back with delivery confirmation (and all they need is an attempt, refusing the package will not get you out of it) you will lose your dispute since you have the merchandise back.

Tough system.

emann
07-15-2010, 01:19 AM
The bottom line is no seller is going to take back an item in worse condition then when it was sold. I reiterate my previous request that the thread be deleted or closed immediately.

I opened the box, removed a bat that had an extra crack in the handle and want to return it as agreed. Why is this my fault or responsibility? I didn't crack it, if you want to claim it cracked on the way to me, that's fine, but why stick me with it now? You never emailed me back ANYTHING when I received it (and stated—it has an extra crack on the handle), no questioning of how it got there, was it like that from shipping, absolutely nothing—until this.

legaleagle92481
07-15-2010, 02:02 AM
I opened the box, removed a bat that had an extra crack in the handle and want to return it as agreed. Why is this my fault or responsibility? I didn't crack it, if you want to claim it cracked on the way to me, that's fine, but why stick me with it now? You never emailed me back ANYTHING when I received it (and stated—it has an extra crack on the handle), no questioning of how it got there, was it like that from shipping, absolutely nothing—until this.

Do you have pictures of this crack? If so please send them to me as I am curious to see what you are talking about and how bad it is. I have no idea how this "extra crack" got there and I am not going to speculate all I know is that when the item left my possession it was not there.

legaleagle92481
07-15-2010, 02:33 AM
i stand by my stuff except and i think this is necessairly implied when the item is being returned in a less valuable condition then when it was sold. i mean you could buy a bat take it in the batting cage for a few hacks resulting in it being damaged then send it back otherwise. i am not accussing you of doing that it is just an example. so send me the pictures and i will evaluate it and see how bad it is then we will talk about it off of here. thanks.

emann
07-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Do you have pictures of this crack? If so please send them to me as I am curious to see what you are talking about and how bad it is. I have no idea how this "extra crack" got there and I am not going to speculate all I know is that when the item left my possession it was not there.

Why didn't you ask me for photos via email at the start of this? I'm still curious why you wouldn't reply to me and never inquired further until now.

mbenga28
07-15-2010, 08:26 AM
you need to take better photos

otismalibu
07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Great photo. Makes the Zapruder film look like it was shot in HD.

Before this thread is locked, why not let everyone vote? That's how things are decided on television.

I'll say the bat had a 2nd crack. I know nothing about baseball game used items, but it seems unlikely to me that someone would crack a bat they just bought for a collection.

Sellers, in general, over-grade their items and seem to overlook flaws. I've purchased dozens of items where obvious damage was not disclosed. Usually the response is. "Really? I didn't notice. Are you sure? I don't think it was like that when it left."

So I'll say 85% chance the damage was already there and 15% it's a case of buyer's remorse and he's looking for an out.

earlywynnfan
07-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I had a similar situation once years ago. I bought a bat from someone off ebay (mistake!) He had several pics displayed, except the knob which he said just had the player's correct number. We made a deal, I paid, and awaited my bat. When it arrived, I opened the box and the first thing I saw was the number, plus "BP" in the same paint pen and writing! When I emailed the seller, he got all huffy and accused me of writing that on there. He was a cop and dealt with dirtbags like me every day, blah blah blah. I ended up selling the bat for half the price.

To this day, I can't understand why someone would reach out to a seller, work a deal, pay promptly, recieve the item, damage the item, then demand a refund. But supposedly that's what I did.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

mbenga28
07-15-2010, 08:44 AM
I used to know someone who would buy game used items and sell them on Ebay and when they sold lower than what he paid for at retail, he'd rough the item up to ruin any photo matching possibilities.

mbrieve
07-15-2010, 08:48 AM
To this day, I can't understand why someone would reach out to a seller, work a deal, pay promptly, recieve the item, damage the item, then demand a refund.
My feelings exactly.

I have bought and sold things here and on eBay. I do my best to describe every detail (including photos) of every item I sell because I don't want the buyer to be surprised by anything.

On the flip side, it is amazing how often people don't disclose minor (and major) imperfections. In most cases, it wouldn't have deterred me from my purchase, but it irks me when the item isn't fully described. Just my .02

Lokee
07-15-2010, 09:45 AM
If it is paypal the buyer almost always wins the dispute. :cool:

ChrisCavalier
07-15-2010, 10:21 AM
The moderators have discussed this and we believe it is okay to let the community be aware of such things. However, at this point, we believe both parties have expressed their opinions and their points have been made. Therefore, we are locking the thread.

Once there is a resolution, the parties will be able to provide an update.

Please feel free to email me directly if you have any questions.

Regards,
Chris