PDA

View Full Version : Two New Yorkers no longer with us

sox83cubs84
07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Over the span of 5 days, two lesser known players with baseball connections to the Big Apple passed away.

Clint Hartung, a.k.a. the Hondo Hurricane, died on July 8. He was a P/OF/1B for the New York Giants from 1947-52.

Then, on July 12, one of the breifest of Yankees players, SS Frank Verdi, passed away. He played one game for the 1953 Yankees.

Dave Miedema

Fnazxc0114
07-15-2010, 07:10 PM
i think the best gesture ive ever seen from a player is derek jeter going to the plate with the announcer that passed making the call.

sox83cubs84
07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
i think the best gesture ive ever seen from a player is derek jeter going to the plate with the announcer that passed making the call.

My thoughts, as well. I wish the Cubs would follow suit, and play a tape of the late Harry Caray singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame, instead of giving it to the latest actor/musician with a movie/album to promote.

Dave Miedema

Mark17
07-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Didn't they say at the All Star game that Jeter would be announced at Yankee Stadium in that same way for the rest of his career?

For as much as I dislike The Evil Empire, it is impossible to not like Derek Jeter.