PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel basketball auction

costas
07-19-2010, 01:42 PM
there's a couple of items that interest me on Grey Flannel's current basketball auction, since I never dealt with them before does anyone know if these jerseys were obtained through the Hall of Fame, team sources, consignments thought private collectors? thanks.

legaleagle92481
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
there's a couple of items that interest me on Grey Flannel's current basketball auction, since I never dealt with them before does anyone know if these jerseys were obtained through the Hall of Fame, team sources, consignments thought private collectors? thanks.

They get their jerseys via consignments. I know a few forum members have consigned jerseys to this auction. They are a good company but use caution and do your homework as you would with any auction house and you will be fine.

nickacs
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I find it very odd that all the same Dennis Johnson memorabilia is up in this auction again from their past April auction?? Huh? :confused:
I bid on some of those same items and lost out and you can clearly see they all had winning bidders. Did everyone suddenly decide to just flip all his stuff thinking they make more money?

Hmm, I don't get it..

33bird
07-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Hidden Reseves maybe?

costas
07-19-2010, 06:44 PM
thanks everyone, and is it easy to sign up/bid on their items or do I need prerequisites to be able to bid?

Sonny25
07-19-2010, 07:15 PM
I've only participated in a couple of their HOF Auctions, but isn't this one much smaller than previous ones?

otismalibu
07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I find it very odd that all the same Dennis Johnson memorabilia is up in this auction again from their past April auction?? Huh? :confused:
I bid on some of those same items and lost out and you can clearly see they all had winning bidders. Did everyone suddenly decide to just flip all his stuff thinking they make more money?

This seems to be pretty common at more than one auction house. Items look like they've been won, then show up in a subsequent auction. I spoke to a collector who had many superstar items up at a major auction house. His exact words were, "If it doesn't get up to the price I want, I'm buying it back." I think that would fall into the category of Non-Traditional Hidden Reserve Format ;)

legaleagle92481
07-19-2010, 09:10 PM
The other possibility is the buyer (s) simply did not pay. All that jazz about it being a contract, etc. but you can't get blood from a stone. Alot of people bid high and don't pay it happens on Ebay and the league auction sites all the time.

nickacs
07-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone for their responses.

However, it looks like I made a mistake and the offered DJ lots in the HOF auction are not duplicates of the DJ lots back in Grey Flannel's April 2010 auction. Sorry!
At first glance, there were two home whites ('88 in april & '84 in HOF) and the couple red/blue AS jerseys ('79 in april & '80/'81 in HOF) that look the same.

But when comparing the two auctions, this is not the case. Thanks and look forward to bidding on some of these lots and more in the HOF auction. Lots of good NBA stuff! :)

David
07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Auction house prerequisites are usually just well known people/companies who will vouch you paid your bills with them or whatever. There was one auction house that said you could use your eBay feedback rating. If you've won from other big auction houses or well known dealers, that would count.

mbenga28
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
so if I said I won something from NFL, NBA or NHL Auctions that would count?

and what is it with them not accepting credit cards?

legaleagle92481
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
so if I said I won something from NFL, NBA or NHL Auctions that would count?

and what is it with them not accepting credit cards?

They do it to save the fees credit card companies charge merchants for processing transactions.

rose14
07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
They do it to save the fees credit card companies charge merchants for processing transactions.

That is one reason. The other reason is the potential of having a transaction being chargedback to the merchant. The buyer files a dispute with his credit card company saying they never received the item or it wasn't as described and they pull the funds out of the auction house account.

Since the card wouldn't be actually swiped on site and the credit card would be manually input making them more exposed for a possible chargeback.

Lokee
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
That is one reason. The other reason is the potential of having a transaction being chargedback to the merchant. The buyer files a dispute with his credit card company saying they never received the item or it wasn't as described and they pull the funds out of the auction house account.

Since the card wouldn't be actually swiped on site and the credit card would be manually input making them more exposed for a possible chargeback.

Don't let these auction companies fool you telling you it is to "save money in fees". The main reason is explained by rose14.

Personally I would never buy something of high value (over 100.00) without a credit card. Where is the security for the buyer ?

How many stories on here are from buyers from certain auction houses that have been passed on fake or doctored items ?

If you pay by a MO or Cashiers Check how will you recover the funds ?

ANSWER

You won't

33bird
07-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd love to have the Bill Russell items. I have a pair of game used Bill Russell Celtic 60's shorts and that's probably all I'll ever have of Mr. Russell.

legaleagle92481
07-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Don't let these auction companies fool you telling you it is to "save money in fees". The main reason is explained by rose14.

Personally I would never buy something of high value (over 100.00) without a credit card. Where is the security for the buyer ?

How many stories on here are from buyers from certain auction houses that have been passed on fake or doctored items ?

If you pay by a MO or Cashiers Check how will you recover the funds ?

ANSWER

You won't

well the issue from their perspective is you pay for the item they pay the consignor you get a chargeback after that point now they are out the cash. People could get chargebacks for stuff that is not for a bad item but just because the buyer is being overly picky or has remorse. With auction houses it is caveat emptor if you are spending big bucks you must`be totally sure before you bid. If it means hoping a plane even to inspect an item in person so be it.