PDA

View Full Version : Former Browns QB Frank Ryan- need advice

psmachetti
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I have by chance discovered that fomer Browns QB, Frank Ryan lives only about an hour away from me in VT. I travel through there periodically.
He was always one of my favorite players in the 60's as I followed the Browns . I actually stumbled upon his address and phone number but I am torn .
I really want to call him and ask if it would be OK to stop on my way through and have him sign a few things. I have a replica Ryan 1 bar Riddell TK or RK(?) helmet and an old Ryan card . I realize that he is in his mid 70's now and I have no idea how his health is .I don't want to intrude but I'd love to meet one of my childhood heroes. I considered asking if I could ship the stuff to him and have him sign it but given his age I didn't want to have him have to package it back up and send it back to me.
Any advice?
paul

hockeytigers
07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
I would call...

My experience with some of the older players from the NFL, especially the HOF'ers, they are happy to sign...just bring a few bucks with you as a thank you. Most also love to talk about football if they are not in a hurry to leave somewhere or in the middle of doing something. Good luck!!

psmachetti
07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm really nervous about calling but have really wanted to.Keep putting it off.
paul

ironmanfan
07-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I'd send him a polite hand written letter and express the reasons that you would like to meet him, for the reasons you have given here......Give him a month or so to respond and then follow up with a call if you haven't gotten a reply.

tcfor3
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
I have been fortunate enough to meet Frank Ryan on a couple of occassions.

He is a very nice man who enjoys meeting fans.

I would call or write to see if he has the time to meet with you.

Good luck!

ISA-Chuck
07-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree with Hockeytiger and Ironmanfan - a well written and polite letter is always a good introduction. A follow-up call in a few weeks, regarding your letter, is a good reason to make contact.

As always, respect for the privacy and health of these former players is paramount.

Good luck with your endeavours.

psmachetti
07-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd send him a polite hand written letter and express the reasons that you would like to meet him, for the reasons you have given here......Give him a month or so to respond and then follow up with a call if you haven't gotten a reply.

That's an excellent idea. Thanks
paul

psmachetti
07-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I have been fortunate enough to meet Frank Ryan on a couple of occassions.

He is a very nice man who enjoys meeting fans.

I would call or write to see if he has the time to meet with you.

Good luck!

I'm assuming I should address him as Dr. Ryan?
Paul

BU54CB
07-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I think a phone call is appropriate, as long as you explain yourself and are polite, I don't think he'd care. I'm sure addressing him as Mr. Ryan would help, but have a conversation with him, see how it goes. If it goes well, maybe he'd meet you somewhere to sign, many players don't want folks to meet them at their home. Then again, he may not care. Anyway, being polite and honest goes a long way with the older players, and you can offer to contribute to a charity on his behalf too if that helps.

psmachetti
07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I decided to send out a letter . I'm hoping he'll write back or give me a call.I gave my phone number . Keeping my fingers crossed. Would really like to get the Frank Ryan items I have signed.
Paul

pietraynor
07-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Paul..email me when you get a chance. ldonalds@columbus.rr.com (cldonalds@columbus.rr.com) I have a Ryan item I'd like to give to you (free)..I picked it up a few months back in a box lot, thought you might enjoy it..just send along your address..Jay

psmachetti
08-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Update: I received a letter back from Frank Ryan. I was very excited to find it in the mail. He thanked me for my kind words but said if I didn't mind he'd prefer I send him my cards in the mail to be signed. Needless to say I was disappointed but I certainly wouldn't want to intrude on his life. I think he may have missed the part in my letter where I mentioned I had a full size replica helmet I wanted to get signed. I don't want to just ship him a box w/the helmet and cards in it and expect him to have to box it all back up and ship it back. I certainly would send along the appropriate amount for him to return the package but don't want to be an imposition. Should I write him back and clarify. At the very least I will send along the card and the very cool photo Lester sent to me as a gift. Thanks Lester .Very nice gesture on my behalf. Thansk for all the advice guys.
Paul