PDA

View Full Version : Garza No Hitter!!

SkubeBats
07-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Garza Tampa Bay Ray just threw a no hitter tonight... Great Job!!

mbrieve
07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Garza Tampa Bay Ray just threw a no hitter tonight... Great Job!!
Those Detroit Mudhens had nothing for him. Congrats!

TNTtoys
07-26-2010, 09:20 PM
This is all part of the master plan of every team in MLB having had a pitcher throw a no-hitter except for the METS...

:mad:

sox83cubs84
07-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Matt, you DA MAN!!:D

Dave Miedema

STLHAMMER32
07-26-2010, 10:36 PM
what a time to forget to take him off my bench for fantasy baseball for his start tonight :eek: ....ouch!

legaleagle92481
07-26-2010, 11:41 PM
has a team ever thrown a no hitter and had a perfect game tossed against them in the same year?

kudu
07-26-2010, 11:41 PM
This is all part of the master plan of every team in MLB having had a pitcher throw a no-hitter except for the METS...

:mad:

Padres are still in the "no no-hitter" club

kudu
07-26-2010, 11:48 PM
has a team ever thrown a no hitter and had a perfect game tossed against them in the same year?
I know Montreal threw a perfect game and had a no hitter against them in 1991, but not sure about the other way around.

Lokee
07-27-2010, 07:42 PM
what a time to forget to take him off my bench for fantasy baseball for his start tonight :eek: ....ouch!

LOL he started for me :)

gingi79
07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
5 no hitters by non all stars in a season. The lowest ERA since 1992. It's as if the entire MLB stopped taking steroids all of a sudden.....oh wait......

STLHAMMER32
07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
5 no hitters by non all stars in a season. The lowest ERA since 1992. It's as if the entire MLB stopped taking steroids all of a sudden.....oh wait......

its just one of those rare occurences that boggles your mind. It's remarkable how many things have to go right in a game for there to be a no-hitter. In fact in almost every game you can point to an unbelievable play or a few plays that kept it alive...good defense and some good luck I think have more to do with the no-hitters than the lack of roids. Pitchers were also on the juice so its not just the hitters who reaped the benefits of them.

legaleagle92481
07-27-2010, 11:56 PM
for the poster who said the no hitters were by five non allstars, what are you talking about? halladay is a many time allstar, ubaldo started this year's allstar game, edwin jackson was on the 2009 all star team. garza was an alcs mvp. the only ne who has done nothing else is braden.

gingi79
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
for the poster who said the no hitters were by five non allstars, what are you talking about? halladay is a many time allstar, ubaldo started this year's allstar game, edwin jackson was on the 2009 all star team. garza was an alcs mvp. the only ne who has done nothing else is braden.

Sorry, my bad. I was trying to illustrate that an incredibly rare feat seems to happen every week now. If you add the triple AAA pitcher from Detroit it would be 6 in 4 months.

Like Hammer said, every one of these requires more luck than skill. Incredible catches, great diving stops, occasional called third strikes that, in the words of Bob Uecker, are "...just a bit outside."

It is possible (although not probable, especially in Toronto) that no hitter this season hits more than 40 home runs. It seemed as if every teams second or third best player hit more than that in the last 20 years.

I think it is great for baseball's image, people can infer that steroids have been cleaned up. Hell, 6 no-no's in the first 2/3 of the season, a lack of hr's, the lowest era since 1992, it's the year of the pitcher.

But considering how much of a difference there is, isn't anyone worried that every ballplayer was using? In other words, the great success of pitching this season, casts a shadow over all hitters for the last twenty seasons. Maybe that's why MLB looked the other way all those years, look how much better a pitcher is off steroids than a hitter is off steroids.