PDA

View Full Version : Fake Tiger Hat on Ebay?

eag
07-28-2010, 01:08 AM
eBay item number 290446743433 and link http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiger-Woods-Signed-Autographed-Tournament-Worn-Hat-PSA-/290446743433?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Golf_Trading_Cards&hash=item439ff99789
is for what is described a Tiger Woods signed tournament used hat. I do not doubt the signature, but I have a Tiger Woods UDA tournament used hat and I am alsways looking for more.

When I look at this hat on eBay, I question the amount of wear it displays. Mine shows very light wear save some minor sweat marks inside. This one on eBay is very very worn and dirty, leading me to believe it is a hat that someone was wearing and had Tiger sign as he went by.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I wrong to compare the wear in the hats and wonder how in one day the hat on eBay could get so worn? Just checking for anyones thoughts.

STLHAMMER32
07-28-2010, 01:59 AM
eBay item number 290446743433 and link http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiger-Woods-Signed-Autographed-Tournament-Worn-Hat-PSA-/290446743433?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Golf_Trading_Cards&hash=item439ff99789
is for what is described a Tiger Woods signed tournament used hat. I do not doubt the signature, but I have a Tiger Woods UDA tournament used hat and I am alsways looking for more.

When I look at this hat on eBay, I question the amount of wear it displays. Mine shows very light wear save some minor sweat marks inside. This one on eBay is very very worn and dirty, leading me to believe it is a hat that someone was wearing and had Tiger sign as he went by.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I wrong to compare the wear in the hats and wonder how in one day the hat on eBay could get so worn? Just checking for anyones thoughts.

I am not a tiger woods hat expert but what I can say is that the amount of wear on a hat can be quite different depending on conditions and the day it was worn. This goes for the guy mowing is lawn, a baseball player or Tiger Woods. It depends on weather conditions, playing conditions (for instance being in sand traps and areas where dirt kicks up).

It's not fair to compare your hat to this one I don't believe. He does have a specific date it was worn and actual photos of him wearing the hat he claims. I noticed that the hat has some sponsorship emblems on it that match up well, I wonder if this type of hat was available to the public? I don't think you can pass it off as fake because it is not UDA but asking some questions is always a good thing. It looks like he knows where and how it exactly was obtained so maybe he could provide further info for you. Also the fact that the sig is legit doesn't hurt the case for it being genuine.

xpress34
07-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Just a thought - I used the NOAA Climate Record and looked up April 30, 2009 for Charlotte, NC (where the hat was worn) and it was 82 degrees for a high that day! That's pretty warm in a humid climate like Charlotte at that early of a Spring day.

Maybe Tiger sweated more that day? I would check the weather history for the date and place that your current hat came from.

I've seen GU baseball hats from the same player look totally different for wear depending on the time of year and where they were playing (weather, temp, humidity, etc)

Just my .02

- Chris

eag
07-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the input. I was not questining it due to not be UDA, I was questioning the wear. The sponsor emblems can be seen on hats over the counter as well, so basically you rely on paperwork or the word of the seller. Upon further review of his postings, he talks about selling because he has a baby girl that is new to the family, on others it is a baby boy. I find his inconsistancies with his "story" enough for me to pass on the hat I guess. Plus, I still think the wear is way to high for a hat that is worn for just one round of golf.

xpress34
07-28-2010, 02:14 AM
I am not a tiger woods hat expert but what I can say is that the amount of wear on a hat can be quite different depending on conditions and the day it was worn. This goes for the guy mowing is lawn, a baseball player or Tiger Woods. It depends on weather conditions, playing conditions (for instance being in sand traps and areas where dirt kicks up).

It's not fair to compare your hat to this one I don't believe. He does have a specific date it was worn and actual photos of him wearing the hat he claims. I noticed that the hat has some sponsorship emblems on it that match up well, I wonder if this type of hat was available to the public? I don't think you can pass it off as fake because it is not UDA but asking some questions is always a good thing. It looks like he knows where and how it exactly was obtained so maybe he could provide further info for you. Also the fact that the sig is legit doesn't hurt the case for it being genuine.

Great minds think alike Hammer!!!
;)

eag
07-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Words to live by "when it doubt, don't". After comparing placement of the sponsor logo on this hat and the one on GETTY, the logos do not match up in where they are in relation to each hat.
Thanks for the input though.