PDA

View Full Version : Philly Puker Going To Jail

jdr3
07-30-2010, 04:04 PM
NJ man gets jail for Phillies game vomit-assault
July 30, 2010 - 3:15pm

http://media.bonnint.net/apimage/e53ea43f-3989-4d0e-8d18-5ebe672fb6fb.jpg?filter=wtop/story_big (http://media.bonnint.net/apimage/e53ea43f-3989-4d0e-8d18-5ebe672fb6fb.jpg)
FILE - In this May 25, 2010, file photo, Matthew Clemmens, of Cherry Hill, N.J., looks out a car window as he is driven away from a courthouse in Philadelphia. Clemmens has been sentenced to up to three months in jail on Friday, July 30, 2010, for intentionally vomiting on another spectator and his 11-year-old daughter in the stands at a Philadelphia Phillies game. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)
By JOANN LOVIGLIO
Associated Press Writer
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A 21-year-old man who intentionally vomited on a spectator and his 11-year-old daughter at a Philadelphia Phillies game was sentenced Friday to up to three months in jail and community service, which the judge suggested be fulfilled by cleaning ballpark toilets and trash.
Matthew Clemmens, of Cherry Hill, N.J., was taken into custody immediately after Family Court Judge Kevin Dougherty imposed the sentence, and several family members burst into sobs as he was handcuffed.
The spectator Clemmens vomited on and punched, Michael Vangelo, of Easton, said his daughter Mikayla is still traumatized.
"What really bothers me about the incident is that Mikayla refuses to talk about it," he testified.
The family has received offers from the team and complete strangers for tickets to future games, but "she does not want to go," said Vangelo, an Easton police captain. He said he also has not returned to Citizens Bank Park since the assault.
Clemmens pleaded guilty in May to charges of assault, harassment and disorderly conduct. He admitted he stuck his fingers down his throat and vomited on Vangelo and Mikayla at a Phillies-Nationals game on April 14.
Clemmens was sentenced to one to three months in jail, two years of probation and 50 hours of community service, which Dougherty suggested be served at Citizens Bank Park. The maximum penalty was two years in jail. Public defender Richard Hark asked for probation.
Clemmens sobbed as he read from a statement expressing remorse for his actions.
"I'm working every day to clear this black mark from me and my family," Clemmens said. "Give me the opportunity to show you who I am and not who I was that one afternoon."
His parents, acquaintances and grandfather _ who took a 27-hour train ride from Florida to attend the sentencing _ testified that he was a good person who volunteers in his community and made one uncharacteristically bad mistake.
Dougherty said he believed the defendant's apology was "feigned."
"Superficially you present yourself one way, but outside of the home you present yourself another way," Dougherty said, calling Clemmens a "mean-spirited and vulgar" young man who humiliated his family and tarnished the city's reputation.
Clemmens and his friend were cursing and heckling the Vangelo family from the first inning. Vangelo's 15-year-old daughter asked them to stop the profanity around her younger sister, prompting more heckling and cursing. The family was doused with beer when they rose to cheer a Phillies home run, and Vangelo eventually complained to security that Clemmens' friend was spitting, which hit his younger daughter's jacket and seat.
After the friend was ejected, Clemmens was sitting alone when he answered his cell phone and said: "I need to do what I need to do. I'm going to get sick," prosecutors said.
He then put his fingers down his throat and "projectile vomited," Vangelo said. He also punched Vangelo several times, causing his ear to bleed, before being tackled by other spectators and arrested.
Salvatore DeAngelis, manager of Phillies ballpark security, testified the team received thousands of calls, e-mails and letters from people asking "how something like this could happen."
"Initially there was some concern that it was an unsafe place to attend a game," he said.
Dougherty also ordered Clemmens to pay Vangelo $315, the cost of the five tickets for him and his family to attend the game. Vangelo said he intended to donate the money to the Easton Police Athletic League.
Neither Clemmens' family nor Vangelo would comment after the hearing. His daughters were not in court. District Attorney Patrick Doyle said the victims were satisfied with the sentence.

(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
By JOANN LOVIGLIO
Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A 21-year-old man who intentionally vomited on a spectator and his 11-year-old daughter at a Philadelphia Phillies game was sentenced Friday to up to three months in jail and community service, which the judge suggested be fulfilled by cleaning ballpark toilets and trash.
Matthew Clemmens, of Cherry Hill, N.J., was taken into custody immediately after Family Court Judge Kevin Dougherty imposed the sentence, and several family members burst into sobs as he was handcuffed.
The spectator Clemmens vomited on and punched, Michael Vangelo, of Easton, said his daughter Mikayla is still traumatized.
"What really bothers me about the incident is that Mikayla refuses to talk about it," he testified.
The family has received offers from the team and complete strangers for tickets to future games, but "she does not want to go," said Vangelo, an Easton police captain. He said he also has not returned to Citizens Bank Park since the assault.
Clemmens pleaded guilty in May to charges of assault, harassment and disorderly conduct. He admitted he stuck his fingers down his throat and vomited on Vangelo and Mikayla at a Phillies-Nationals game on April 14.
Clemmens was sentenced to one to three months in jail, two years of probation and 50 hours of community service, which Dougherty suggested be served at Citizens Bank Park. The maximum penalty was two years in jail. Public defender Richard Hark asked for probation.
Clemmens sobbed as he read from a statement expressing remorse for his actions.
"I'm working every day to clear this black mark from me and my family," Clemmens said. "Give me the opportunity to show you who I am and not who I was that one afternoon."
His parents, acquaintances and grandfather _ who took a 27-hour train ride from Florida to attend the sentencing _ testified that he was a good person who volunteers in his community and made one uncharacteristically bad mistake.
Dougherty said he believed the defendant's apology was "feigned."
"Superficially you present yourself one way, but outside of the home you present yourself another way," Dougherty said, calling Clemmens a "mean-spirited and vulgar" young man who humiliated his family and tarnished the city's reputation.
Clemmens and his friend were cursing and heckling the Vangelo family from the first inning. Vangelo's 15-year-old daughter asked them to stop the profanity around her younger sister, prompting more heckling and cursing. The family was doused with beer when they rose to cheer a Phillies home run, and Vangelo eventually complained to security that Clemmens' friend was spitting, which hit his younger daughter's jacket and seat.
After the friend was ejected, Clemmens was sitting alone when he answered his cell phone and said: "I need to do what I need to do. I'm going to get sick," prosecutors said.
He then put his fingers down his throat and "projectile vomited," Vangelo said. He also punched Vangelo several times, causing his ear to bleed, before being tackled by other spectators and arrested.
Salvatore DeAngelis, manager of Phillies ballpark security, testified the team received thousands of calls, e-mails and letters from people asking "how something like this could happen."
"Initially there was some concern that it was an unsafe place to attend a game," he said.
Dougherty also ordered Clemmens to pay Vangelo $315, the cost of the five tickets for him and his family to attend the game. Vangelo said he intended to donate the money to the Easton Police Athletic League.
Neither Clemmens' family nor Vangelo would comment after the hearing. His daughters were not in court. District Attorney Patrick Doyle said the victims were satisfied with the sentence.

Fnazxc0114
07-30-2010, 05:13 PM
This guy had a coming to jesus moment in the court room. Poor baby. Sentance wasnt harsh enough, i bet he gets out in two weeks.

sox83cubs84
07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I feel bad for the daughter...this douchebag has destroyed her desire to see baseball in person. I'd like to puke on HIM!

Dave Miedema

Mark17
07-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I wonder if he actually feels embarrassment, or if he thinks it's his 15 minutes of "fame."

cohibasmoker
07-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I wonder if he actually feels embarrassment, or if he thinks it's his 15 minutes of "fame."

I think his 15 minutes of "fame" will be long gone and reality will set-in after he checks into County Jail where he'll be processed, searched, provided with nice used orange garments and introduced to his new friends.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

metsbats
07-31-2010, 09:58 AM
I think his 15 minutes of "fame" will be long gone and reality will set-in after he checks into County Jail where he'll be processed, searched, provided with nice used orange garments and introduced to his new friends.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

You have to wonder where "Men who puke on little girls" rank in the food chain in prison:eek:

sox83cubs84
07-31-2010, 01:35 PM

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

You mean Bubba and Molly?:p

Dave Miedema

pags13
07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
in addition to the jail sentence, they should have added a sentence of getting the little round slob at his sober best, cuffed his hands behind his back, sat him down, tied to a chair, and fed some volunteer all the beer and hot dogs he could manage during a 90 degree day, until he was prepared to vomit, and had him do the same exact thing to the weasel, just to exact the perfect revenge for the slimy troll's behaviour....the jail could be the cherry on top of the mess

earlywynnfan
07-31-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't see my grandfather going cross country to tell the court that I was "basically a good person who made one mistake." If he showed up at court, it'd be to tell them to skip the sentence, he'd teach me the lesson I so obviously needed to learn. Which would have led to me begging the court to put me in jail instead.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

godwulf
08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
said Vangelo, an Easton police captain

I'm not sure where Easton is, but when this punk gets out of jail I'd suggest that he make a mental note of its location and make very sure that he never gets to within fifty miles of it.

Dewey2007
08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure where Easton is, but when this punk gets out of jail I'd suggest that he make a mental note of its location and make very sure that he never gets to within fifty miles of it.

Easton is the town that former heavyweight boxing champion Larry Holmes is from and pretty much owns. He was known as the Easton Assassin.

What I find interesting is the guy who was puked on was a cop right. Why didn't he just teach this jackass a lesson and work him over before performing a citizen's arrest? I don't think any of the security guards or Philly cops would have had any issues with this considering what the guy did.

godwulf
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
What I want to know is whether the Phillies fans booed the puker, or the pukees.

Bob Ueker swore that he once watched a guy fall from the upper deck to the ground at a Phillies home game, "and the fans booed him when he tried to get up"...so, you never know.