PDA

View Full Version : need help dating mcauliffe cap tag variations

KAPKOLLEKTOR
08-02-2010, 02:38 AM
i started collecting vintage game-worn 1930's-40's-50's-60's baseball caps a little over a year ago--i have several mcauliffe caps in my collection, and was wondering if anyone can help me regarding the approximate time frames of the various tags mcauliffe used in their caps: there appear to be two different sized tags; a longer rectangular one and a smaller square one (and i'm 99% sure the rectangular one is the older of the two)--there also appear to be at least two different variations of each tag--ie there is the rectangular one that just has the company name and address and another one that has the company name and address and says "BY LESLIE"; which one is the earlier variation??). as far as the square tag goes, there is a variation that is all blue (company name and address) with the exception of the stitches of the baseball, which are red, and another variation that has the same graphics but everything is red (with the exception of the part outside of the baseball which is blue).

i believe the rectangular tag came first, then the square tag (all blue variation followed by red and blue variation), but these are only guesses based on the age of the caps in question. all that being said, does anyone know what years mcauliffe introduced each tag, or how long they used them for before introducing the next one?? also, when did mcauliffe caps first come into existence?? i'm sure theres someone on these forums who has a significant amount of knowledge on this subject so hopefully someone can help; sorry for the longwinded post and thanks in advance for any help!

xpress34
08-04-2010, 07:11 PM
i started collecting vintage game-worn 1930's-40's-50's-60's baseball caps a little over a year ago--i have several mcauliffe caps in my collection, and was wondering if anyone can help me regarding the approximate time frames of the various tags mcauliffe used in their caps: there appear to be two different sized tags; a longer rectangular one and a smaller square one (and i'm 99% sure the rectangular one is the older of the two)--there also appear to be at least two different variations of each tag--ie there is the rectangular one that just has the company name and address and another one that has the company name and address and says "BY LESLIE"; which one is the earlier variation??). as far as the square tag goes, there is a variation that is all blue (company name and address) with the exception of the stitches of the baseball, which are red, and another variation that has the same graphics but everything is red (with the exception of the part outside of the baseball which is blue).

i believe the rectangular tag came first, then the square tag (all blue variation followed by red and blue variation), but these are only guesses based on the age of the caps in question. all that being said, does anyone know what years mcauliffe introduced each tag, or how long they used them for before introducing the next one?? also, when did mcauliffe caps first come into existence?? i'm sure theres someone on these forums who has a significant amount of knowledge on this subject so hopefully someone can help; sorry for the longwinded post and thanks in advance for any help!

I've done some research - there's not a lot of info out there - and I'll get back to you shortly. Just got home, checking eMail and off to dinner with the wife.

I can give you some insight on a few things and also want to ask you for some pictures.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
08-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Kap -

Here is some New Era info - part of it discusses McAuliffe - and I am interested in pics of your hats and tags - particularly the one that says 'by Leslie'... but I'll start with this New Era info 1st:

NEW ERA History:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1920: Erhardt Koch starts his own Cap Company - E Koch Cap Co.

1922: E Koch Cap Co. is officially named "New Era Cap Co." producing a full line of Men's casual and uniform caps, but few sporting goods caps. Newsboy or Flappers caps are created - 8 panel wool cap w/ short bill and loose fitting crown top.

1932: New Era's version of the baseball cap begins development.

1934: New Era's 1st pro baseball caps are produced. The Cleveland Indians Home and Away caps. No exclusive licensing - lots of competition for team's business including Minor League, International League, College and Local League.

Early 1940's: Now providing caps to a large clientèle (local, minor, college and Canadian teams) as well as plain caps for local outlets around the country that would sew on patches or lettering as needed. Also made more MLB and MiLB but the majority were 'Private Labels' for Wilson and Spaulding. (New Era made the cap and Wilson and Spaulding would add their own labels {tags} and sell directly to the teams).

Mid 1940's: Honus Wagner (coaching for Pittsburgh) requests a special cap to fit his unusually large head and New Era obliges.

Late 1940's: New Era debuts it's adjustable cap.

1950: Now supplying Brooklyn Dodgers, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians and Detroit Tigers as well as other teams under the Wilson and Spaulding 'private labeling'. New Era is now the ONLY independent maker supplying MLB teams.

1954: New Era's 'Pro' cap is modernized and named the 5950 (aka the 'Brooklyn Style' cap).

Early 1960's: New Era calls for an end to it's private labeling for McAuliffe and Stall & Dean brands - a task that took most of the 1960's to meet. To win teams directly, incentives were given including cleaning and reconditioning.

1965: Supplying about 10 MLB teams.

1969: Supplied Special caps for Apollo 11.

1974: 20 of the 24 MLB teams were signed up with New Era.

1978: New Era experiments with 'direct marketing' by running an ad in the Sporting News for Pro Fitted hats for $12.99. Response was overwhelming
and helped shape the fan driven pro licensing boom that hit in the 80's.

Early 80's: Now selling to colleges, local, MiLB, tennis, golf, custom order, military and 23 of the 26 MLB teams.

1986: In conjunction with MLB the 'Diamond Collection' Pro 5950 Cap (same as before) is sanctioned as an Offcial on-field product.

Late 1980's: Wearing "the cap the pro's wear" is now a major baseball fan element.

1993: New Era is granted the 1st EXCLUSIVE license with ALL of MLB to produce 'on-field' pro caps for ALL teams.

1996: Spike Lee personally requests a RED NYY Cap starting a new fashion trend.

1997: The New Era 'Flag' is introduced and has become a fashion statement in its own right.

2005: New Era unveils the "blue box' logo incorporating the 'flag' image and it's new slogan - "Originators of the True Fitted".
This information was all taken directly from the New Era web site.

Based on the information, it appears that beyond Wilson and Spalding, New Era was also making McAuliffe (hence K&M) and Stall & Deans caps up until the late 1960's. Leslie Brand caps are also tied into the McAuliffe / KM Pro brands.

I may be off on this, but I believe I had heard somewhere that Roman Pro was a Wilson brand product as well which would mean their caps were actually New Era caps as well.

Hope this helps some...

- Chris

cohibasmoker
09-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Here's a McAuliffe tag from a 1964-65 Harvey Haddix cap. I think if we post "confirmed" examples, we can build a nice database that everyone can share.

Jim

Tallyman77
10-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi KAPKOLLEKTOR...........shoot me an email when you get a chance. Thanks! :)

-Walt

Evergreen7777@att.net

Insomniac186
02-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I've been trying to figure out the McAuliffe tags and it's pretty complicated. The blue tag is definitely later one, used up until the McAuliffe name disappeared in 1968 or 69, I don't recall exactly which. The McAuliffe name I believe want back to the teens.

sox83cubs84
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Kap -

Here is some New Era info - part of it discusses McAuliffe - and I am interested in pics of your hats and tags - particularly the one that says 'by Leslie'... but I'll start with this New Era info 1st:

NEW ERA History:
1920: Erhardt Koch starts his own Cap Company - E Koch Cap Co.

1922: E Koch Cap Co. is officially named "New Era Cap Co." producing a full line of Men's casual and uniform caps, but few sporting goods caps. Newsboy or Flappers caps are created - 8 panel wool cap w/ short bill and loose fitting crown top.

1932: New Era's version of the baseball cap begins development.

1934: New Era's 1st pro baseball caps are produced. The Cleveland Indians Home and Away caps. No exclusive licensing - lots of competition for team's business including Minor League, International League, College and Local League.

Early 1940's: Now providing caps to a large clientèle (local, minor, college and Canadian teams) as well as plain caps for local outlets around the country that would sew on patches or lettering as needed. Also made more MLB and MiLB but the majority were 'Private Labels' for Wilson and Spaulding. (New Era made the cap and Wilson and Spaulding would add their own labels {tags} and sell directly to the teams).

Mid 1940's: Honus Wagner (coaching for Pittsburgh) requests a special cap to fit his unusually large head and New Era obliges.

Late 1940's: New Era debuts it's adjustable cap.

1950: Now supplying Brooklyn Dodgers, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians and Detroit Tigers as well as other teams under the Wilson and Spaulding 'private labeling'. New Era is now the ONLY independent maker supplying MLB teams.

1954: New Era's 'Pro' cap is modernized and named the 5950 (aka the 'Brooklyn Style' cap).

Early 1960's: New Era calls for an end to it's private labeling for McAuliffe and Stall & Dean brands - a task that took most of the 1960's to meet. To win teams directly, incentives were given including cleaning and reconditioning.

1965: Supplying about 10 MLB teams.

1969: Supplied Special caps for Apollo 11.

1974: 20 of the 24 MLB teams were signed up with New Era.

1978: New Era experiments with 'direct marketing' by running an ad in the Sporting News for Pro Fitted hats for $12.99. Response was overwhelming
and helped shape the fan driven pro licensing boom that hit in the 80's.

Early 80's: Now selling to colleges, local, MiLB, tennis, golf, custom order, military and 23 of the 26 MLB teams.

1986: In conjunction with MLB the 'Diamond Collection' Pro 5950 Cap (same as before) is sanctioned as an Offcial on-field product.

Late 1980's: Wearing "the cap the pro's wear" is now a major baseball fan element.

1993: New Era is granted the 1st EXCLUSIVE license with ALL of MLB to produce 'on-field' pro caps for ALL teams.

1996: Spike Lee personally requests a RED NYY Cap starting a new fashion trend.

1997: The New Era 'Flag' is introduced and has become a fashion statement in its own right.

2005: New Era unveils the "blue box' logo incorporating the 'flag' image and it's new slogan - "Originators of the True Fitted".
This information was all taken directly from the New Era web site.

Based on the information, it appears that beyond Wilson and Spalding, New Era was also making McAuliffe (hence K&M) and Stall & Deans caps up until the late 1960's. Leslie Brand caps are also tied into the McAuliffe / KM Pro brands.

I may be off on this, but I believe I had heard somewhere that Roman Pro was a Wilson brand product as well which would mean their caps were actually New Era caps as well.

Hope this helps some...

- Chris

Chris:

Another one that can be added to the mix:

2003 - New Era introduces the 39/30 style, an expandable fitted cap that MLB ordered for spring taining and BP activities. Jersey is sized in ranges (with 7 1/8 to 7 5/8 being the most commonly found.)

Dave Miedema