PDA

View Full Version : The National Show

dcgreg25
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I went to the preview last night for the National and it was largely as expected. It feels a little bigger this year because of the layout of the show but I think there are actually fewer booths than last year in Cleveland.

As far as game used- the usual suspects with JO Sports, Game Worn Uniforms, JT Sports, Steiner and a few others. There were a few regional dealers (Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, Baltimore, etc) that had some GU items from their local teams but overall there was not much in the way of GU which is fairly typical for a National. I was surprised that Steiner's booth did not have much in the way of inventory, more of a "meet and greet" with a few of the reps. JO's booth had a couple racks of jerseys at fairly reasonable prices (mostly Redskins).

The auction houses were out in force (Grey Flannel, Legendary, Lelands, etc) again mostly working consignments and showing off items from the upcoming auctions. Lelands had several items for sale as well.

Some other interesting other booths worth visiting, in my opniion, Homeplate Heroes (great looking custom display cases) and Dorfman (figures, mannequins, helmet stands, etc) were both interesting booths. There was also a booth selling photographs from Sport Magazine among others that I was able to pick up a couple images for potential photomatches.

Overall a worthwhile show to attend. I will probably be heading back for another afternoon or two this weekend.

joelsabi
08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I went to the preview last night for the National and it was largely as expected. It feels a little bigger this year because of the layout of the show but I think there are actually fewer booths than last year in Cleveland.

As far as game used- the usual suspects with JO Sports, Game Worn Uniforms, JT Sports, Steiner and a few others. There were a few regional dealers (Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, Baltimore, etc) that had some GU items from their local teams but overall there was not much in the way of GU which is fairly typical for a National. I was surprised that Steiner's booth did not have much in the way of inventory, more of a "meet and greet" with a few of the reps. JO's booth had a couple racks of jerseys at fairly reasonable prices (mostly Redskins).

The auction houses were out in force (Grey Flannel, Legendary, Lelands, etc) again mostly working consignments and showing off items from the upcoming auctions. Lelands had several items for sale as well.

Some other interesting other booths worth visiting, in my opniion, Homeplate Heroes (great looking custom display cases) and Dorfman (figures, mannequins, helmet stands, etc) were both interesting booths. There was also a booth selling photographs from Sport Magazine among others that I was able to pick up a couple images for potential photomatches.

Overall a worthwhile show to attend. I will probably be heading back for another afternoon or two this weekend.

Greg,

Nice Report. Do you find the Homeplate Heroes's Display Case Coffee Table looks attractive in person? The craftsmanship of the piece looks nice on the photo online but seeing is believing.

Thanks.

gorilla777
08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Greg and Joel,

I actually picked up 2 of the 10 bat display cases from Home Plate Heroes. They are nicely made and they have pretty good prices. If there is not the 20% sale off the list price going on now, I can probably get that for anyone interested. I will post pictures of the cases later.

Ben

dcgreg25
08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I actually picked up one of the nine-bat display cases yesterday. Ben, I hope you had a dolly or something to help you cart those things as they are pretty damn heavy. Due to my bad planning, I had to carry the bat case like four blocks, not fun! I still have to pick up a case for a GU glove with an 8x10.

Joel, the display tables are really awesome in person. If you are going to the show, they usually discount the diplay items that they bring with them pretty heavily so they do not have to pay to ship them back. Bernard is the owner and he is a good guy to deal with and they tend to discount if you ask for it. Hope that helps.

allstarsplus
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Joel, the display tables are really awesome in person. If you are going to the show, they usually discount the diplay items that they bring with them pretty heavily so they do not have to pay to ship them back. Bernard is the owner and he is a good guy to deal with and they tend to discount if you ask for it. Hope that helps.

I was also impressed with Homeplate Heroes as well as John Taube's display.

John's display was Hall of Fame worthy with 3 huge glass display cabinets with shelves dedicated to ARod and Pujols and behind the bats were photos or artwork so you knew which shelves the players were on.

Other than those 2 the only other spot which was a nice surprise was in spot #502 which was Keith Vari who is on his own now (away from Lelands) and looks to be starting his own venture. Keith had some nice Washington Nationals items on display ;)

I was lucky enough to run into George Richardson and Anthony Richardson who already had picked up some nice Ryan Howard game used bats.

I brought a lot of bats with me including my new pickup of a Stephen Strasburg bat that John Taube helped me with.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/103190530.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6B49C81DF00447AEC 0A4F04208C6C5579B91CBFA569D72662

Dave Bushing gave me a nice offer on it but I told him I was going to hold off on selling it for now. Working on getting some Hi Res photos but I think I have the one in that Getty photo.

My one disappointment was the amount of fake Majestic knockoffs that were there. Easy to spot especially when the Majestic tagging was the wrong color. Showing Anthony Richardson one of the fake Prince Fielders which was good for a sad chuckle.

As far as fake game used, I didn't see any so I think the GU dealers wised up but for the autograph people, good luck as I am always scared of Michael Jordan sigs without UDA documentation. One dealer had a wall of Michael Jordan signed jerseys. One dealer had a bunch of Stephen Strasburg balls. I brought a real one with me and compared and didn't like what I saw. Definitely caveat emptor on the autographed items.

joelsabi
08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I was also impressed with Homeplate Heroes as well as John Taube's display.

John's display was Hall of Fame worthy with 3 huge glass display cabinets with shelves dedicated to ARod and Pujols and behind the bats were photos or artwork so you knew which shelves the players were on.

Other than those 2 the only other spot which was a nice surprise was in spot #502 which was Keith Vari who is on his own now (away from Lelands) and looks to be starting his own venture. Keith had some nice Washington Nationals items on display ;)

I was lucky enough to run into George Richardson and Anthony Richardson who already had picked up some nice Ryan Howard game used bats.

I brought a lot of bats with me including my new pickup of a Stephen Strasburg bat that John Taube helped me with.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/103190530.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6B49C81DF00447AEC 0A4F04208C6C5579B91CBFA569D72662

Dave Bushing gave me a nice offer on it but I told him I was going to hold off on selling it for now. Working on getting some Hi Res photos but I think I have the one in that Getty photo.

My one disappointment was the amount of fake Majestic knockoffs that were there. Easy to spot especially when the Majestic tagging was the wrong color. Showing Anthony Richardson one of the fake Prince Fielders which was good for a sad chuckle.

As far as fake game used, I didn't see any so I think the GU dealers wised up but for the autograph people, good luck as I am always scared of Michael Jordan sigs without UDA documentation. One dealer had a wall of Michael Jordan signed jerseys. One dealer had a bunch of Stephen Strasburg balls. I brought a real one with me and compared and didn't like what I saw. Definitely caveat emptor on the autographed items.

Andrew,

What's in the ARod display? I would love to see of a photo of it.

Also is there are indication that the Feds will be paying a visit this year like they did last year?

allstarsplus
08-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Andrew,

Also is there are indication that the Feds will be paying a visit this year like they did last year?

John had about 8 to 10 game used ARod bats and some photos and a painting of ARod.

rdeversole
08-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Is anybody reading this still going to the show this weekend? Would you be willing to grab items for me for a finders fee? I'm looking for the following game used items:

Eric Davis bats or jerseys
Jorge Cantu bats or jerseys
Josh Willingham bats or jerseys
Jonny Gomes bats or jerseys

or stuff from these guys:
Joey Votto
Kevin Mitchell
Brandon Phillips
Jeff Keppinger
Norris Hopper
Chad Bradford

Neal
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Is anybody reading this still going to the show this weekend? Would you be willing to grab items for me for a finders fee? I'm looking for the following game used items:

Eric Davis bats or jerseys
Jorge Cantu bats or jerseys
Josh Willingham bats or jerseys
Jonny Gomes bats or jerseys

or stuff from these guys:
Joey Votto
Kevin Mitchell
Brandon Phillips
Jeff Keppinger
Norris Hopper
Chad Bradford

I was there yesterday, and although I did not look, Mark Fugate had a ton of Reds gamers at his booth. I believe he owns Diamond Sports, and is a Reds expert.

Neal
08-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I was also at Taube's booth - world class! I may have met one or two of you guys w/o knowing.

33bird
08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Somebody let me know what Fugate is selling Reds wise..Wish I was there just for that.

HawaiiSportsNut
08-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Hope someone will post some pics for those of us that weren't able to make it. Thanks.

maccamania
08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I was there today, just got home, not much red sox items, Taubes display was very impressive, got to talk to Zane Burns, Anthony and George Richardson, I think I may of bumped into TNT toys (was that you talking to Zane), Steiner had some cool stuff, it was my 1st national, so it was special to me.

maccamania
08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Andrew,

Joel,
Taube must of had 12 ARod bats, if I thought of it I would of snapped a photo for you, sorry

maccamania
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Somebody let me know what Fugate is selling Reds wise..Wish I was there just for that.

Greg
I can tell you there was a good amount of reds GU items there.

cincy13
08-05-2010, 08:06 PM
He's has some jerseys, alot of bats. Most of it is pre-1980 I think, although I didn't go through everything.

geoff
08-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I was there Today as well And am going back Friday.Wow what A Show.This was A Huge Show And I biggest I ever went to.Most of The Main Dealers were there And I think A nice Selection all around of Game Used Items.Taubes Booth was First Class And I did pick up A Bat Today from him.I thought there would be more Orioles Items though.I Walked around for Hours And was Loving Looking at everything Dealers had to Offer even though I knew I could not Afford most of it.They had Tons And Tons of Graded Cards And am going back to look at them as I really did not look Today.I sure hope The Show comes back to Baltimore again.I Walked around with A few Members here And we had A Blast.Can't wait to do it all over again Friday.

Thanks
Geoff

skier14
08-05-2010, 08:56 PM
If anybody at the show would be willing to pick up Tulo items if you happen to come accross any, I would greatly appreciate it. Send me an e-mail if you'd like to help me out.

Thanks a lot!

Dustin

joelsabi
08-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Joel,
Taube must of had 12 ARod bats, if I thought of it I would of snapped a photo for you, sorry

now everyone has me curious. if anyone happens to pass by it again, take a shot of Taube's ARod display to share here.

thanks

sayhey24
08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Greg - there was some great 60s and 70s Reds game used equipment there. i will post photos tomorrow.

Andrew -- I think I may have talked to you Wednesday night without knowing it was you. I was at John Taube's booth with Dave Bushing and we were talking to a man in a black shirt who was holding Strasberg's bat over by the computer, and discussing what a terrible hitter and even a terrible bunter Strasburg is.
If that was you -- hello!

Greg

allstarsplus
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Greg - there was some great 60s and 70s Reds game used equipment there. i will post photos tomorrow.

Andrew -- I think I may have talked to you Wednesday night without knowing it was you. I was at John Taube's booth with Dave Bushing and we were talking to a man in a black shirt who was holding Strasberg's bat over by the computer, and discussing what a terrible hitter and even a terrible bunter Strasburg is.
If that was you -- hello!

Greg

Yep, that was me at John's computer with Strasburg's bat! Small world!

solarlottry
08-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Does anyone who went to the National know if there was any 49ers game used there? if so i would gladly pay a nice finders fee for any information or for the purchase of game used jerseys. Please let me know if anyone can help me out.

Thanks
Paul

garciajones@yahoo.com

BergerKing22784
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
One of the vendors I recall had a few 49ers jerseys prices seemed a little high and it was of no real big names..

Also there has been like 5 or 6 people saying they will pay finders fees to people who are going to the show. I would like to point out earlier in the week I had a post telling people to email me what they were looking for and with their phone numbers and I would be happy to help out and only like 3 of you took me up on that offer!

allstarsplus
08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
now everyone has me curious. if anyone happens to pass by it again, take a shot of Taube's ARod display to share here.

thanks

I didn't bring a camera the other day, but hopefully someone can take some photos.

joelsabi
08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I didn't bring a camera the other day, but hopefully someone can take some photos.

hopefully. I found a video of John Taube at the video at the show and it showed some cases in the back but didn't see the ARod case. He was showing a cool Roy Campanella bat from the year the Giant won the Pennant.

maccamania
08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
hopefully. I found a video of John Taube at the video at the show and it showed some cases in the back but didn't see the ARod case. He was showing a cool Roy Campanella bat from the year the Giant won the Pennant.

Joel

the arods were at the bottom of the closet glass case to where JT sits.
Where did you see the video of the campy bat?

joelsabi
08-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Joel

the arods were at the bottom of the closet glass case to where JT sits.
Where did you see the video of the campy bat?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4376355 at the minute mark

If someone can get a shot of the ARod bats that would be appreciated.

tilley72
08-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Does anyone who went to the National know if there was any 49ers game used there? if so i would gladly pay a nice finders fee for any information or for the purchase of game used jerseys. Please let me know if anyone can help me out.

Thanks
Paul

garciajones@yahoo.com

The only dealer there with 49ers jerseys that I noticed was one of the two big game used jersey displays, which were for Hartel Sports and gamewornuniforms.com. So you could find the 49ers shirts they have likely on their web site. From what I could tell, there were not any big names.

As for the show itself, from what I've heard from others before I went was in complete contradiction to what I saw. There were a lot of card and memorabilia dealers, but there were also a good number of dealers with game used items. The thing is you just need to know where to look and what to look for when going to these shows otherwise it can be extremely overwhelming. (I honestly don't know how card collectors can do this is show in all of the days the show lasts.) Overall though it seemed like a great show for game used items. I ended up bringing back a pretty big haul of game used items, and the dealers were willing to work with you on Friday, something that doesn't normally happen until Sunday when they have to worry about hauling everything back.

Anyways another year, a great show and a bunch of great items. Here's what I took back from the show:

Jordan Staal Pittsburgh Penguins Blue Alternate Jersey
Carlos Lee Home Run Derby Warmup Jersey
Krivda Baltimore Orioles Road Jersey
Fernandez Baltimore Orioles Alternate Jersey
Johns Baltimore Orioles Road Jersey
Miller Baltimore Orioles Road Jersey x2
Ryan Zimmerman Louisville Slugger Bats x2
Adam Dunn Louisville Slugger Bats x2
Ivan Rodriguez Louisville Slugger Bats x2
Nyger Morgan Louisville Slugger Bat
Willie Harris Louisville Slugger Bat
Matt Morse Louisville Slugger Bat
Jim Edmonds Glomar Bat
Carlos Lee Rawlings Bat
Dave Winfield Adirondack Bat

Like I said a great show and a great haul. It was nice talking to all of the members I spoke to at the show and some that I probably spoke to without knowing.

-Andrew

5kRunner
08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4376355 at the minute mark

If someone can get a shot of the ARod bats that would be appreciated.

That video is from 2009.

Preston
08-06-2010, 08:10 PM
This has been a pretty good show overall, and while I've mostly picked up cards and a few signed photos, I've also picked up the following:

Greg Norton game worn Rockies cap, and my favorite item I've picked up:

Carlos Rogers game worn Redskins jersey circa 2008 (COA JO Sports - got this at a VERY affordable price)

sayhey24
08-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Here is the Campanella bat you're referring to (being held by Zane Burns). It was a 1951 Campy World Series bat, but when the Dodgers didn't make the Series, H&B Xed out the Series notation on the barrel.
Here too are the two photos I took of John Taube's booth.

MANY more photos from the National can be found at baseballbasement.com

Greg

allstarsplus
08-06-2010, 08:34 PM
The only dealer there with 49ers jerseys that I noticed was one of the two big game used jersey displays, which were for Hartel Sports and gamewornuniforms.com. So you could find the 49ers shirts they have likely on their web site. From what I could tell, there were not any big names.

As for the show itself, from what I've heard from others before I went was in complete contradiction to what I saw. There were a lot of card and memorabilia dealers, but there were also a good number of dealers with game used items. The thing is you just need to know where to look and what to look for when going to these shows otherwise it can be extremely overwhelming. (I honestly don't know how card collectors can do this is show in all of the days the show lasts.) Overall though it seemed like a great show for game used items. I ended up bringing back a pretty big haul of game used items, and the dealers were willing to work with you on Friday, something that doesn't normally happen until Sunday when they have to worry about hauling everything back.

Anyways another year, a great show and a bunch of great items. Here's what I took back from the show:

Jordan Staal Pittsburgh Penguins Blue Alternate Jersey
Carlos Lee Home Run Derby Warmup Jersey
Krivda Baltimore Orioles Road Jersey
Fernandez Baltimore Orioles Alternate Jersey
Johns Baltimore Orioles Road Jersey
Miller Baltimore Orioles Road Jersey x2
Ryan Zimmerman Louisville Slugger Bats x2
Adam Dunn Louisville Slugger Bats x2
Ivan Rodriguez Louisville Slugger Bats x2
Nyger Morgan Louisville Slugger Bat
Willie Harris Louisville Slugger Bat
Matt Morse Louisville Slugger Bat
Jim Edmonds Glomar Bat
Carlos Lee Rawlings Bat
Dave Winfield Adirondack Bat

Like I said a great show and a great haul. It was nice talking to all of the members I spoke to at the show and some that I probably spoke to without knowing.

-Andrew

That is quite the haul. How did you find the prices? Would love to talk to you about some of the Nationals bats you bought if you could email me.
Thanks.

capitalssticks
08-06-2010, 09:01 PM
This has been a pretty good show overall, and while I've mostly picked up cards and a few signed photos, I've also picked up the following:

Greg Norton game worn Rockies cap, and my favorite item I've picked up:

Carlos Rogers game worn Redskins jersey circa 2008 (COA JO Sports - got this at a VERY affordable price)

i cant tell you how many times i picked up that rogers jersey, ended up buying 12 redskins jerseys from JO on friday, nice pick up great jersey

Preston
08-06-2010, 09:59 PM
i cant tell you how many times i picked up that rogers jersey, ended up buying 12 redskins jerseys from JO on friday, nice pick up great jersey

I appreciate it...there was another Rogers jersey I was eyeing (white w/ lots of wear) but it was gone so I got that one. What all jerseys did you get?

capitalssticks
08-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I appreciate it...there was another Rogers jersey I was eyeing (white w/ lots of wear) but it was gone so I got that one. What all jerseys did you get?

chris samuels 21 and 75th patch with pants
rocky mcintosh with pants and towel
andre carter home and road
randy thomas home and road
devin thomas
james thrash with repairs
caldwell throwback with pants
fabini throwback with pants
chris wilson throwback with pants
demulling 21 and 75th patches with pants

couple i passed on i should have picked up, esp the malcolm kelly

Fnazxc0114
08-06-2010, 11:55 PM
i wish i was there, have they announced where next years will be?

Fnazxc0114
08-06-2010, 11:56 PM
wonder if they have ever thought of vegas for a show? seems like a good place to go.

jbsportstuff
08-07-2010, 07:50 AM
wonder if they have ever thought of vegas for a show? seems like a good place to go.

Here is a link that shows where the next few shows will be:

http://www.nsccshow.com/faq.shtml

I will be going to the Chicago and Cleveland shows.

rjdgonebats
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
The photo shown on the past posts at Taube's booth actually shows Zane Burns holding the Campanella bat not John Taube.

sayhey24
08-07-2010, 12:23 PM
The photo shown on the past posts at Taube's booth actually shows Zane Burns holding the Campanella bat not John Taube.

You must not have read the text above the photos -- it says it's being held by Zane Burns.

tilley72
08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
That is quite the haul. How did you find the prices? Would love to talk to you about some of the Nationals bats you bought if you could email me.
Thanks.

Andrew,

I'll shoot you an e-mail later tonight, I'm ramping up for the Championship Game our hockey team has today, for a Summer League, and I'll be at the Wisconsin State Fair for most of the day. I flew in for one day of the National, Friday, and I was back in Wisconsin on Saturday.

The prices were fairly reasonable, at least I thought so, on the Nationals bats. I bought all the bats this one dealer had as the rest of his set up was strictly autographs and according to what he said he wanted to sell all of them if he could because he didn't want to haul them back with him.

-Andrew

shafrancollectibles.com
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Just returned to NY from Baltimore. Greatly enjoyed the show and found a good variety of game used merchandise throughout the venue. Only came away with Alfredo Aceves and Mike Harkey 2009 Yankees World Series game used jerseys and a Robinson Cano 2007 Game Used home run bat but certainly found many other items of interest.

Stayed an extra day to take my baby to the Aquarium so walked the floor one extra time on Saturday and spotted a few items that passed me by the first time through - it's truly dizzying to try to take it all in the first time around.

Went to 2 Orioles games - it's nice to be able to walk up to a box office, pay $10 and wander around the park checking out different views. Don't get to do that at Yankee Stadium very often.

shafrancollectibles.com
08-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I forgot to mention - my favorite game used pick-up of the weekend might have been an otherwise meaningless foul ball by Matt Wieters from the 8/6 game but it means a lot to me as I got to bring my 10-month old to his second Major League game (Mets on 7/29 was his first) in just over a week. Now I have baseballs from his first 2 games = priceless!

Neal
08-08-2010, 04:28 PM
I was also at Taube's booth - world class! I may have met one or two of you guys w/o knowing.

as it turns out, I did meet Andrew - pleasure meeting you.

I picked up a Rose bat and had a Steve Cartlton authenticated. I was certain I would find some more Phillies bats, but struck out.

A good show, and look forward to the Philly show.

allstarsplus
08-08-2010, 05:03 PM
as it turns out, I did meet Andrew - pleasure meeting you.

I picked up a Rose bat and had a Steve Cartlton authenticated. I was certain I would find some more Phillies bats, but struck out.

A good show, and look forward to the Philly show.

Neal - Good meeting up with you too! Glad you found some great items!

yankees506
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
[quote=shafrancollectibles.com;212103]Just returned to NY from Baltimore. Only came away with Alfredo Aceves and Mike Harkey 2009 Yankees World Series game used jerseys and a Robinson Cano 2007 Game Used home run bat. quote]

I was offered this bat from steiner for $1000. Did steiner have a booth there or did someone sell you the bat? Im asking because i wanted the bat and steiner wouldnt take less for the bat and i see your selling it for less on ebay. thanks

shafrancollectibles.com
08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I was offered this bat from steiner for $1000. Did steiner have a booth there or did someone sell you the bat? Im asking because i wanted the bat and steiner wouldnt take less for the bat and i see your selling it for less on ebay. thanks

This bat didn't come from Steiner. Cano signed several HR bats from 2006 and 2007 and Steiner is selling some but they are not the original source for the bats. That said, they did have a nice booth set up and I was glad to buy the WS jerseys after seeing them in person.

suave1477
08-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Geoff, Orioles, and RJBB it was a pleasure meeting you guys and anyone else me and TnT met. I apologize if I left anyones name out just afer a while you get overwhelmed and walking around all day you get tired and everything becomes one big blur.

But I enjoyed the show as there was a bit more game used items than I expected especially the seller with the game used bats.

Tnt and I also went to an Orioles game and had seats right behind the dug out that was a blast.

yankees506
08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
This bat didn't come from Steiner. Cano signed several HR bats from 2006 and 2007 and Steiner is selling some but they are not the original source for the bats. That said, they did have a nice booth set up and I was glad to buy the WS jerseys after seeing them in person.

I know im not mistaken that steiner offered me this exact bat, just a little upset that they wouldnt budge on the price for me. But i guess you lose some and you win some

jobathenut
08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
You guys did realize there were a few players signing autographs there don't you? I know this is a game used forum.But not one mention of the players signing.Did none of you get autographs from the players that were there? Me and my brother especially back in the day when were big into the card thing always had a dream to to the national show.With him being abig card guy and me being a big autograph guy,it would be a dream trip for sure.But they never come close to minnesota or to minnesota for matter.I wonder why.But anyway,just dissapointed to read this thread and find out nothing about really what its like to be at the show.

murfsteve25
08-09-2010, 06:25 AM
were there any David Justice gu items there?

capitalssticks
08-09-2010, 09:43 AM
You guys did realize there were a few players signing autographs there don't you? I know this is a game used forum.But not one mention of the players signing.Did none of you get autographs from the players that were there? Me and my brother especially back in the day when were big into the card thing always had a dream to to the national show.With him being abig card guy and me being a big autograph guy,it would be a dream trip for sure.But they never come close to minnesota or to minnesota for matter.I wonder why.But anyway,just dissapointed to read this thread and find out nothing about really what its like to be at the show.

yes there was, and paying $800 to have willie mays sign a bat doesnt seem like a very good deal

BU54CB
08-09-2010, 09:49 AM

The National comes to Chicago next year, the drive down from MN can't be that bad, that's probably your best opportunity to get to the National.

34swtns
08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
yes there was, and paying $800 to have willie mays sign a bat doesnt seem like a very good deal

Please tell me that was a joke.
'Cuz if it isn't.......it still is.

suave1477
08-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I would also like to add.

I had a chance to meet Danny Esken whos knowledge on Game Used Gloves will baffle you. He was amazing and I was in awe of his knowledge.

Very funny guy, he is a bit of a live wire but it was defintely a pleasure meeting him.

As far as the Autographs.
I must say I was dissapointed as I am of the autograph lineup from every year at the national.
There is no one major or new Star that your local autograph signing doesn't get.
I am expecting this to be the "National" the biggest names in autograph signings should be there.
Yeah you have Willie Mays but he has been in the NY area for signings before.
Yeah you have Randy Johnson but he has been around before.
I would like to see them get a dozen of current superstars or superstars that are not around much.

So personally imo there was no real autograph signer to really report.

capitalssticks
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Please tell me that was a joke.
'Cuz if it isn't.......it still is.

not a joke but for you poor folk you could have him sign a ball for the low low price of $399

legaleagle92481
08-09-2010, 01:27 PM

I had a chance to meet Danny Esken whos knowledge on Game Used Gloves will baffle you. He was amazing and I was in awe of his knowledge.

Very funny guy, he is a bit of a live wire but it was defintely a pleasure meeting him.

I must say I was dissapointed as I am of the autograph lineup from every year at the national.
There is no one major or new Star that your local autograph signing doesn't get.
I am expecting this to be the "National" the biggest names in autograph signings should be there.
I would like to see them get a dozen of current superstars or superstars that are not around much.

They need to get Steiner involved for that to change. Tristar recycles guests at all their shows. Steiner is able to bring Arod to a Long Island mall next week on a Thursday. For the National, imagine what they could do.

legaleagle92481
08-09-2010, 01:31 PM
not a joke but for you poor folk you could have him sign a ball for the low low price of $399

Well at least he throws in the surly attitude for free.

DonFan23
08-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Jason,

I didn't get down there until Sat - sorry I missed Nick & yourself. Did meet up with Reid & Andrew on Saturday - two great guys.

I struck out on game used (not much in my niche that was in my budget), but picked up some great vintage memorabilia.

I see where you'e coming from on signers, but as far as "current superstars" - with baseball, you're limited to who's in town (in this case the O's, ChiSox & Angels) since you're in mid-season, plus football is already in camp. Hockey & hoops are other stories, but I think they don't typically draw in the same way that the baseball and football players do at this type of show.

R.J.

LA_1968
08-13-2010, 12:47 AM
I was there too. Actually, my wife and I made a long trip to see it since I'm a relatively new collector of GU jerseys and I wanted to see some stuff up close to get a feel. Tons of cards, pictures, knickknacks, but I only saw one booth with a ton of GU jerseys which was "game used uniforms". Funny about them... they have a ton of nobody players in the rack and then boom you find something good right in the middle and the tag says $5000. I would have thought they'd have those separated. Bernard at Homeplate Heroes was very nice and helpful. Nice quality displays. The hanging ones are neat so you can see both sides of the jersey if you have a house or bar with that kind of room. But... what's the best show for game used jerseys? I hope this wasn't it. Thanks, Charles