PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Delgado Works out for Bosox.

Dach0sen0ne
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Do you think he has anything left in the tank?

NEW YORK -- In light of the season-ending injury to Kevin Youkilis, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is monitoring the market for left-handed-hitting first basemen who could complement the righty-hitting Mike Lowell. Toward that end, the Sox took a look at free agent Carlos Delgado in a Friday workout at Yankee Stadium. Delgado, who was once one of the top sluggers in the game, hasn't played in the Major Leagues since May of last season because of hip woes. He has had two surgeries since last playing in the Majors.
According to a club source, the Red Sox were just doing their "due diligence" in working out Delgado.
Because of the layoff Delgado has had, he is near certain to require some sort of stint in the Minor Leagues with whichever team signs him.
Delgado has hit 473 homers in his career.

Fnazxc0114
08-07-2010, 12:33 PM
dang i hadnt even noticed he wasnt playing anymore. I also didnt know he was that close to 500 homeruns.

legaleagle92481
08-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Do you think he has anything left in the tank?

NEW YORK -- In light of the season-ending injury to Kevin Youkilis, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is monitoring the market for left-handed-hitting first basemen who could complement the righty-hitting Mike Lowell. Toward that end, the Sox took a look at free agent Carlos Delgado in a Friday workout at Yankee Stadium. Delgado, who was once one of the top sluggers in the game, hasn't played in the Major Leagues since May of last season because of hip woes. He has had two surgeries since last playing in the Majors.
According to a club source, the Red Sox were just doing their "due diligence" in working out Delgado.
Because of the layoff Delgado has had, he is near certain to require some sort of stint in the Minor Leagues with whichever team signs him.
Delgado has hit 473 homers in his career.

yes. i followed him with mets two summers ago he was raking and last year before he got hurt he played well and hes motivated to try for 500 homers.

LastingsMilledge85
08-07-2010, 01:41 PM
He's a low-risk, high-reward guy. I would do what the Rockies did last year with Giambi. That move was great for them, and I loved it. Not only did he have flashes of clutch performances, but that guy cares a lot about the game. He is so into it and inspiring for a young group of players like the Rockies have. Gave Delgado a shot in September because you have nothing to lose, but he may not do all too much.

Lokee
08-07-2010, 02:23 PM
It's confirmed

The Red Sox may have added some veteran insurance for the stretch drive on Saturday, when they signed Carlos Delgado to a Minor League contract. Delgado, a two-time All-Star and three-time Silver Slugger, will spend the next few weeks playing his way into shape at Triple-A Pawtucket before a potential promotion.
Delgado, who has hit 483 career home runs, has missed all of the season due to a hip condition that required two operations. He played in just 26 games for the Mets last year, and if he manages to make it up to Boston, it would be his first appearance with an American League club since his tenure with the Blue Jays ended in 2004.
The Red Sox are likely hoping that Delgado can help fill the void left by first baseman Kevin Youkilis, who was lost for the season with a torn muscle in his right thumb. Delgado, an All-Star in 2000 and 2003 with Toronto, has hit at least 30 home runs in 11 different seasons, most recently with the Mets in 2008, his last full year of action.

gnishiyama
08-07-2010, 03:39 PM
A bit OT but since we're talking about Delgado and I have always been
wondering: if he retires today is he a Hall of Famer?
I would say if he gets to 500 he's a lock but how about if he
stays at 473? I feel the only thing that really hurts is him consistently
playing for mediocre teams.

Goh Nishiyaam

STLHAMMER32
08-07-2010, 04:02 PM
A great situation for both parties involved. Boston takes a very low risk with the move that could turn out to really help them down the stretch. Carlos can be a part of a winner and prove he can still contribute to a winning ball club. He has always impressed me as a hitter and I would love to see him get a shot at 500 hr's. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out, and they both know they gave it a shot.

legaleagle92481
08-07-2010, 04:06 PM
A bit OT but since we're talking about Delgado and I have always been
wondering: if he retires today is he a Hall of Famer?
I would say if he gets to 500 he's a lock but how about if he
stays at 473? I feel the only thing that really hurts is him consistently
playing for mediocre teams.

Goh Nishiyaam

Falls short.

1. even if he gets 500 its not what it once was.

2. he only made two allstar teams and never won any major awards and was a terriable defender.

3. his teams except for the 06 mets didnt make the playoffs ever, which is amazing for such a long career.

4. he played mostly in canada and had his best years there so he did not get as much exposure as state side stars.

5. he is one of a crowd of first baseman with a good case for the hall who played at the same time. objectively, one would have to say Pujols, Thomas (even though he DHed for 1/2 his career), Thome and Bagwell were clearly better players. Howard, Fielder, Texiera, Morneau and Cabera assuming they stay the course will eclipse him. Mcgriff and helton are arguably equal to him or at least very close and thats not even mentioning the steroid twins, McGwire and Palmerio who had better careers but may be kept out by the moralistic voters.

so i would say probably not.

Dach0sen0ne
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
It's confirmed

The Red Sox may have added some veteran insurance for the stretch drive on Saturday, when they signed Carlos Delgado to a Minor League contract. Delgado, a two-time All-Star and three-time Silver Slugger, will spend the next few weeks playing his way into shape at Triple-A Pawtucket before a potential promotion.
Delgado, who has hit 483 career home runs, has missed all of the season due to a hip condition that required two operations. He played in just 26 games for the Mets last year, and if he manages to make it up to Boston, it would be his first appearance with an American League club since his tenure with the Blue Jays ended in 2004.
The Red Sox are likely hoping that Delgado can help fill the void left by first baseman Kevin Youkilis, who was lost for the season with a torn muscle in his right thumb. Delgado, an All-Star in 2000 and 2003 with Toronto, has hit at least 30 home runs in 11 different seasons, most recently with the Mets in 2008, his last full year of action.

Awesome! I can't wait to see what he brings to the table.

Dach0sen0ne
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Tonight Delgado went 2-4 tonight against Lehigh Valley.

metsbats
08-12-2010, 04:30 PM
I agree the 500 home run club is not what it used to be. Of the 25 members of the 500 home run club, 6 (in RED) of the members have admitted or are suspected of steriod use. That leaves 19 members who reach that milestone cleanly of which only 5 (in BLACK) (Jr Griffey, Thome, Thomas, Sheffield, Murray) have joined since 1987 the year Mike Schmidt hit his 500th, with no steriod help at all. If we factor in the steriod use or alleged steriod use the fact that only 5 new members were added to the 500 home run club in the last 23 years still makes it a special accomplishment. So if Delgado gets a chance to reach 500 homers and he proves to be clean I think he should be considered for the Hall.

5kRunner
08-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree the 500 home run club is not what it used to be. Of the 25 members of the 500 home run club, 6 (in RED) of the members have admitted or are suspected of steriod use. That leaves 19 members who reach that milestone cleanly of which only 5 (in BLACK) (Jr Griffey, Thome, Thomas, Sheffield, Murray) have joined since 1987 the year Mike Schmidt hit his 500th, with no steriod help at all. If we factor in the steriod use or alleged steriod use the fact that only 5 new members were added to the 500 home run club in the last 23 years still makes it a special accomplishment. So if Delgado gets a chance to reach 500 homers and he proves to be clean I think he should be considered for the Hall.

Got to add Sheffield as a steriod suspect. He was a Balco client and testified in front of the grand jury.

Dach0sen0ne
08-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Got to add Sheffield as a steriod suspect. He was a Balco client and testified in front of the grand jury.

Sheffield addmitedly took a liquid called "the clear," a massage balm called "the cream" and pills called "red beans." Oh, but he claims he had no idea what they were. ;)