PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst owner in sports?

legaleagle92481
08-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I would go with a four way tie between the owners of my four most beloved teams:

James L. Dolan-New York Knicks
Charles Wang-New York Islanders
Fred Wilpon-New York Mets
Woody Johnson-New York Jets

I select Mr. Dolan because he turned a legendary team into a laughing stock. We have Amare and a couple of average players and a bunch of stiffs. He spent two years trying to convince everyone all the losing would be justified when Lebron and Bosh or Johnson came and now that they all rejected him he is trying to sell the idea of Carmello and Paul coming at some indefinte point in the future. We have not won a playoff game in nine years or had a winning season in about that long. He hires incompetant people to run the team: Scott Layden, Isiah Thomas, Donnie Walsh and now he is bringing back Isiah. They either trade the first round lottery pick every year or reach and take an undersized power forward.

Charles gets my vote because he runs a New York team in one of the country's wealthiest areas like they are in a remote part of alaska. they never pursue major free agents, have a roster of guys who no other team would employ and "prospects" that never pan out. And they make inept trades and draft picks and like the Knickls employ inept people and never fire them. The man fired a stanely Cup winning gm for the backup goalie who went from the ice to running the show, a move that is unprecedented in sports. In the easy to make it NHL playoffs they rarely get in and when they do its as a low seed and its over in six games or less in round one. and they have a tendency to give out the craziest contracts in sports. rick dipetro got a 15 year deal. and oh they play in a crumbling arena that he cannot convince the town it is based in to give him zoning approval to renovate it.

i chose wilpon because he runs the mets like a small market team. rarely chases the best players letting yanks and now the phils have them without a fight. all he cares about is lining his pocket. ticket prices are insane for the inferior product he puts on the field year after year. the few big contracts they give out normally blow up on them ie luis castillo, ollie perez, john maine and guys who would not make other teams end up playing huge roles. they always have prospects that noone else ever wants but who they try to sell as future stars that rarely develop.they employ omar minaya for reasons known only to them after he has shown he is not up to the task of making the team competitive.

I chose Woody because he is making their first championship game apperance in a dozen years like it was a super bowl win. the team has won nothing in 40 plus years while the giants have won three times. his sole concern is selling psls so he cut many of last year's best players thomas jones, faneca, etc. to add big name fading players ie taylor, tonlinson who though they dont have much left have the name value to sell psls. and out of one side of his mouth hes talking super bowl but out of the other he refuses to pay his best player and is risking having him not ready for the start of the year or worse doing what his uncle sean gilbert did to the skins and sitting out the whole year and refusing to play for the team again. if revis does hold out the whole year the fans who paid top psl dollars will be treated to a great view of brandon marshall and randy moss burning their remaining dbs for tds and a 3-13 season.

who are your choices for this prestigious award?

LastingsMilledge85
08-07-2010, 04:06 PM
No question Robert Nutting (Pirates) in baseball. For football you would have to go with William Clay Ford Sr.(Lions) and Randy Lerner (Browns).

Mark17
08-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I've been a Raiders fan since 1969 and was talking with another long-suffering friend (Redskins fan) last night. We agreed the Raiders will be pitiful until Al Davis is no longer in charge.

Davis in his prime was a flat-out genius, with his draft choices and especially with his reclamation projects. Remember Jim Plunkett? Written off as done, he won 2 Super Bowls for the 'Ders. But beginning with his bizzarre mis-treatment of Marcus Allen, Davis and his team have gone pretty much straight downhill.

So... my vote goes to the current Al Davis.

Dewey2007
08-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I've been a Raiders fan since 1969 and was talking with another long-suffering friend (Redskins fan) last night. We agreed the Raiders will be pitiful until Al Davis is no longer in charge.

Davis in his prime was a flat-out genius, with his draft choices and especially with his reclamation projects. Remember Jim Plunkett? Written off as done, he won 2 Super Bowls for the 'Ders. But beginning with his bizzarre mis-treatment of Marcus Allen, Davis and his team have gone pretty much straight downhill.

I agree with Al Davis. I would also like to add Lew Wolff of the Oakland A's. It's no secret he wants the A's out of Oakland and he is doing everything possible to alienate the fans and the city of Oakland.

I would have added Chris Cohan to this list of the worst owner in all of sports but he sold the Golden State Warriors. Yeahhhhhh!!!

legaleagle92481
08-08-2010, 01:31 AM

I cant feel sorry for you guys. The Raiders under Al Davis have won three super bowls and been to two others, one of which was only eight years ago. How many other owners in history have three rings as an owner? Very, very few of active ones Jerry Jones is the only one. Yes he is wacky these days and the team stinks but at least you guys had many, many great years. To call him the worst owner in sports is very harsh. Many think he should sell but imo he has earned the right to do what he wants as long as he wants. The goal is to win and at the end of the day Al has one more than almost anyone overall and he has tried. Yes, some moves like Moss, Javon Walker, Deangelo Hall and Jamarcus Russell failed but at least he tried and ponied up for those players.

Mark17
08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I cant feel sorry for you guys. The Raiders under Al Davis have won three super bowls and been to two others, one of which was only eight years ago. How many other owners in history have three rings as an owner? Very, very few of active ones Jerry Jones is the only one. Yes he is wacky these days and the team stinks but at least you guys had many, many great years. To call him the worst owner in sports is very harsh. Many think he should sell but imo he has earned the right to do what he wants as long as he wants. The goal is to win and at the end of the day Al has one more than almost anyone overall and he has tried. Yes, some moves like Moss, Javon Walker, Deangelo Hall and Jamarcus Russell failed but at least he tried and ponied up for those players.

As I said, the Historical Al Davis was a flat-out genius. Being a Raiders fan in the late 1960's through the mid-1980s was a blast, and even the big games we lost (Lytle fumble, Franco Harris) were classic games for the ages.

The Current Al Davis is a disaster.

You are correct, all us Raiders fans have right now is memories of the past, and little to look forward to for the future, with Al at the helm.

legaleagle92481
08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
As I said, the Historical Al Davis was a flat-out genius. Being a Raiders fan in the late 1960's through the mid-1980s was a blast, and even the big games we lost (Lytle fumble, Franco Harris) were classic games for the ages.

The Current Al Davis is a disaster.

You are correct, all us Raiders fans have right now is memories of the past, and little to look forward to for the future, with Al at the helm.

You guys just had a great draft so it is a start. Alot of great franchises go through lean times and then rebound. In the 1980s in New York people did not exactely revere George Steinbrenner who had won two titles in the 70s but the 80s and the first couple of years of the 90s were a very lost time filled with horrible trades, free agent signings and draft picks then it all turned around and when he passed away the guy was beloved by his team's fans. Or look at Reinsdorf and the Bulls, they won six titles, dismantled that team then had a miserable decade and now they are serious contenders once again. Or Jerry Jones and the Cowboys had a rough near decade recently that now is a distant memory as they are a serious threat to win the Super Bowl on their home field this year. Al has as good a track record as those others so I think you are being way too harsh in writing him and the team off, they were just in the Super Bowl in 2002 after all as well. Would you rather have the Seahawks, Browns, Falcons or Bills owners running your team? Their fans have no history (I don't count the Bills four losses as positive history) and a very bleak future.

jdr3
08-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Dan Snyder. Well intentioned ignorance is still ignorance.

gingi79
08-08-2010, 11:57 PM
No question Robert Nutting (Pirates) in baseball.

Other than Peter Angelos, it is hard to even come up with a #2 for MLB.

You almost have to wonder if these two guys are actively trying to produce losing teams.

I also agree with LegalEagle about Wilpon. He just doesn't know how to surround himself with winners. He spent a ton of money but if Minaya or Manuel are in their current jobs next season, he gets bumped to #3 out of sheer incompetence.

Don Sterling owns the Clippers. If he wasn't in LA perhaps his ineptitude would not seem so overwhelming. How can you have a team share a building where one team is a consistent winner and the other shouldn't even be an ex-ABA team?

The NY Jets have had 1 great and 2 very good seasons in their 50 year history. They have not had very many great players and are sharing a stadium named for the other team. Sorry, that seems like even ownership feels they are second class citizens. The Revis thing right now seems childish on both sides. If he holds out for 6 weeks lets say and they go 2-4, he's going to get his cash. If they go 6-0, he won't. Can't blame him after last season BUT ONLY BECAUSE of the impending NFL issues after this season. Why can't they just give him a 1 year contract for like $20 million and an option. If they strike/lockout, he gets what he deserved. If they don't, setup a long term deal in March. Seems like common sense to me. And bad ownership practices.

BergerKing22784
08-10-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree Peter Angelos! The guy just doesnt give a damn. He is not a sports fan. He is a lawyer and a business man. His buisness makes him millions and millions of dollars each year because of tv deals, the nationals etc and he doesnt even have to put money into it to make those millions. I mean I hate to say it but its a smart business move. Think about it to get free agents here he would have to overspend for them and his payroll would have to be like $200 million and that doesnt even guarentee a playoff spot because the Yankees have some top talent (who are well paid) and the Rays just grow awesome talent so even if Peter were to spend $200 a million a year he isnt guaranteed a winner so in his eyes why waste the money on his business when he is going to get paid a nice return without it?

I think the way Pete sees it is if he has a company that cost him $1 million to run and he makes a profit of$10 million a year off of it why pay $6 million to make a profit of only 5 million?

Fnazxc0114
08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
thankfully he no longer owns my team. His other teams are in default as well so tom hicks gets my vote. He spent money on arod which was great but one man alone cant win a pennant.

legaleagle92481
08-12-2010, 12:04 AM
thankfully he no longer owns my team. His other teams are in default as well so tom hicks gets my vote. He spent money on arod which was great but one man alone cant win a pennant.

he won a cup for the stars at least. his problem was he was always Boras' one dumb owner. Millwood, Park, etc. in addition to Arod got wacky contracts.

Fnazxc0114
08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
that would be great if i were a hockey fan lol