PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Ivan 'Pudge' Rodriguez

rangersfan1214
08-08-2010, 12:14 AM
I was wondering what you all thought about Ivan Rodriguez? Also do you think his memorabilia is worth getting?

HawaiiSportsNut
08-08-2010, 01:59 AM
I thought you already have a Pudge bat? I would say that he's would be a future HOF'er. You must remember that there are a ton of his bats around, but only a few of them are used by him.

legaleagle92481
08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I think his numbers and awards indicate he would be a first ballot hall of famer. However, he was implicated in the steroids mess and even though he never admitted it or failed a test I think most people think that he used and that may cause the moralistic writers NOT to vote him in as they are doing to Big Mac who also never failed a test and who until this spring never admitted using. The Sporting News earlier this season discussed various players hall odds and listed his at 50-50. So there is a possibility that steroids taint will keep him out of the Hall and in turn if he does not make the Hall it would limit the value of his stuff greatly as not being in the hall does to most other players. Plus there is a glut of his stuff on the market plenty of bats, batting gloves. If you find a jersey or a glove those are much rarer and would be a very worthwhile investment.

cjclong
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I think that he is a HOF player. While defense alone doesn't put a player there, his defense is close. As far as the steroids , remember he was catching games during the prime of his career in Texas in an open air stadium when the temperatures were 100 degrees during the summer, as compared to the cooler northeast or even west coasts, so they ought to cut him some slack and say the Texas heat and steroids evened out, if he did use them.

tigerdale
08-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I think he's going to be a hall of famer for his well rounded game. He excelled in all aspects of the game. Playing the most demanding position, which he still does well, he received all-star nods & gold gloves awards year after year. His offensive numbers for a catcher are top notch. He even has an outside chance at 3000 hits, which I don't believe a catcher has ever done. He led 2 underdog teams to the world series & Texas hasn't seen post season since he left (until this year most likely). I know in Detroit, when he signed, he gave us instant credibility & fans hope of a bright future. Also throw in his MVP award & his pure love for the game, his longevity & he will go down as one of the best catchers in baseball.

allstarsplus
08-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I think he's going to be a hall of famer for his well rounded game. He excelled in all aspects of the game. Playing the most demanding position, which he still does well, he received all-star nods & gold gloves awards year after year. His offensive numbers for a catcher are top notch. He even has an outside chance at 3000 hits, which I don't believe a catcher has ever done. He led 2 underdog teams to the world series & Texas hasn't seen post season since he left (until this year most likely). I know in Detroit, when he signed, he gave us instant credibility & fans hope of a bright future. Also throw in his MVP award & his pure love for the game, his longevity & he will go down as one of the best catchers in baseball.

I agree with you. Pudge is now 3 hits away from 2,800 for his career. If he can continue to be the primary catcher he has a good chance of getting there by the end of 2012.

I did a signing with Pudge earlier in the year and he is a good guy so I am rooting for him.