PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter bat on eBay

lakeerie92
08-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Seem like a good deal. Anybody looking to pick one of these up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEREK-JETER-GAME-USED-2008-BAT-STEINER-COA-/230509276724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_1154

bscott
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Does Steiner Sports sell Jeter bats without a Hologram sticker?

ballhawknet
08-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Not an expert on bats but it looks like a batting practice bat with the all the tape residue on it. The bat also looks like is flaking ? bad... another indication of a bat thats been used a ton.

gameused
08-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Not an expert on bats but it looks like a batting practice bat with the all the tape residue on it. The bat also looks like is flaking ? bad... another indication of a bat thats been used a ton.

I dont see any tape residue, looks like leather scuff marks from Jeter fouling off a fastball. I would call Steiner and ask them about Jeter bats sold in the past without holograms.

STLHAMMER32
08-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm not seeing tape residue either, just the leather from baseballs contacting the bat and transfering.

ballhawknet
08-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Id bet 100 bucks its tape :)

It looks to coarse to be ball transfer.

I could be wrong :D

Not at all trying to question the bat or be negative about it , it just looked all to familiar to me from all the tape Ive taking off my bats over the years .

STLHAMMER32
08-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Id bet 100 bucks its tape :)

It looks to coarse to be ball transfer.

I could be wrong :D

Not at all trying to question the bat or be negative about it , it just looked all to familiar to me from all the tape Ive taking off my bats over the years .

Should I send you my paypal address for the 100;)

ballhawknet
08-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Should I send you my paypal address for the 100;)

LOL

Im not kidding , I really do think its tape ... i am going to have to conduct an experiment . Black bat - check , balls - check , tape - check , someone to throw 90 ... ugh oh

Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and stick to my expertise , the baseball . However ...a ball did hit the bat so ... :)

I will be back later with my results of the test ( this may take a while )

sctizzle
08-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I have never seen Jeter tape his bats for BP. I have had a Jeter bat with a very similar white leather scuffing that was 100% a baseball as there was a space in the middle of it with a few seam marks imprinted. That bat was perfectly photo matched to that mark and other marks on the bat.

As far as the bat on eBay it did come from Steiner as I was offered it back in 08 and remember it because of the chipped handle. It was one of the better 08s they received that season.

I had another 08 bat with no hologram and at the time was told if it wasn't signed they didn't have a hologram placed on the bat. For my 09 I requested that the hologram be placed on the end of the bat to at least show the bat came from Jeter via Steiner as otherwise you could take a non Steiner Jeter and pair it with the Jeter loa.

treant985
08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm not seeing tape residue either, just the leather from baseballs contacting the bat and transfering.

Definitely baseball marks, not tape. I have some bats with these exact same kind of 'spongey' white marks that I know are from baseballs.

legaleagle92481
08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
My personal opinion the bat is fine. Yes someone could switch the LOA but if they did they would render the bat it came with worthless. Not all Steiner Jeter equipment has Steiner holograms as well. The marks are ball marks. It is a great price because of the handle. Alot of buyers expect perfection from GU bats which I always found weird since by their nature they are abused and ones in "perfect" shape were not used much.

nathan362
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Some items come with a letter from Jeter himself and are sold through Steiner. Iv'e talked to them a few times about this to make sure I'm getting the real deal. If it doesn't have the hologram, it should contain a personal letter from Jeter.

STLHAMMER32
08-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Definitely baseball marks, not tape. I have some bats with these exact same kind of 'spongey' white marks that I know are from baseballs.

Yep I have a couple photomatched gamers with the same thing. You can actually see the texture of the leather that transfered, thats why it has that look. Maybe we should post our photos to show ballhawk and then we can split that 100 bet 50/50;)