PDA

View Full Version : How much is a Grey Flannel LOA worth...

sylbry
08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
...apparently $223.

Pro cut Johan Santana jersey sold for $38.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270617844920&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Identical jersey with a Grey Flannel LOA sold a minute earlier for $261.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300454175146&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

legaleagle92481
08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
People just blindly put their faith in letters, "expert" opnions and pay alot extra for it thinking it alleviates the need to do homework.

rdeversole
08-10-2010, 10:43 AM
How are those identical? One says Minnesota and one says Twins

suave1477
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. How are they identical?

sylbry
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
They are both "pro cut". Neither are game worn, neither are even game issued. The fact one is home and one is away is irrelevent.

It is absurd how a jersey can become "game used" because someone with a financial interest says so in a letter, based only on the conclusion that is looks like a pro jersey (minus the correct tag) and it is the proper size. And since it lacks the proper tagging that ALL Twins jerseys from that period have, it must be from 2002 or 2003 because they are the only two years Santana played with the Twins while they were wearing Russell jerseys without an additional sleeve patch.

trsent
08-11-2010, 11:58 AM
They are both "pro cut". Neither are game worn, neither are even game issued. The fact one is home and one is away is irrelevent.

It is absurd how a jersey can become "game used" because someone with a financial interest says so in a letter, based only on the conclusion that is looks like a pro jersey (minus the correct tag) and it is the proper size. And since it lacks the proper tagging that ALL Twins jerseys from that period have, it must be from 2002 or 2003 because they are the only two years Santana played with the Twins while they were wearing Russell jerseys without an additional sleeve patch.

I have no clue about either jersey, but Grey Flannel called the jersey "game used" and you say it is a "pro cut". How do you determine this? Did you contact Grey Flannel to ask about how they determined the jersey to be "game used"?

I just don't understand the discussion. You can't assume without backing up your claim. In reality, both jerseys sold for peanuts. The seller of the "game used" jersey took really bad photos making it hard to tell anything, but claiming the jersey is "pro cut" and not "game used" as Grey Flannel wrote in their letter is a great argument but you need to back up your claim or else the argument is just another opinion.

You should contact the seller on eBay of the "game used" jersey and offer to write a "pro cut" LOA for the buyer - That would really confuse things more.

I won't even start on the "team issued" debate. Most sellers of "team issued" items feel that a "pro cut" is "team issued" while most buyers feel a "pro cut" is not "team issued". Go figure.

JETEFAN
08-11-2010, 02:24 PM
If that's the case, what would a "Team issued" "pro cut" "game used" jersey be worth??? :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

sylbry
08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I have no clue about either jersey, but Grey Flannel called the jersey "game used" and you say it is a "pro cut". How do you determine this? Did you contact Grey Flannel to ask about how they determined the jersey to be "game used"?

I just don't understand the discussion. You can't assume without backing up your claim. In reality, both jerseys sold for peanuts. The seller of the "game used" jersey took really bad photos making it hard to tell anything, but claiming the jersey is "pro cut" and not "game used" as Grey Flannel wrote in their letter is a great argument but you need to back up your claim or else the argument is just another opinion.

You should contact the seller on eBay of the "game used" jersey and offer to write a "pro cut" LOA for the buyer - That would really confuse things more.

I won't even start on the "team issued" debate. Most sellers of "team issued" items feel that a "pro cut" is "team issued" while most buyers feel a "pro cut" is not "team issued". Go figure.

This is how I view pro cut versus team issued. Seems pretty logical to me.

Team issued = pro style jersey held for game use and sourced from team
Pro cut = pro style jersey never in possession of said team

These so called 2002 to 2003 Twins "game jerseys" that lack proper tagging are constantly floating around. They are usually of Santana, Morneau, and Hunter. People I have spoken to within the Twins organization have told me they have never seen a game used jersey (and thus game issued) without at least the year tag from that period.

..."how they [Grey Flannel] determine a jersey to be game used?" Yeah I would love to konw that too. Funny how they can just determine. Who made the person with a financial stake the final word? Shouldn't the jersey speak for itself?

"You can't assume without backing up your claim..." Isn't that what Grey Flannel is doing, assuming? And quite frankly when it comes to Twins game used jerseys, my nearly 20 years of collecting Twins game used jerseys carries more weight than the assumptions they make.

The seller of the Grey Flannel Santana jersey must have known the jersey was a turd in order to let it go at that price. (Yes, that is an unsubstantiated claim.)

I get what you are saying Joel. Can't just let people come on here and make arguments with no support. But at the same time shouldn't those in the know speak up. Unfortunately, many so called game used items will never be proven either way. I could never factually disprove this jersey but I certainly can make a stronger case that Grey Flannel could to prove this jersey was game worn.

JeffB
08-14-2010, 01:08 AM
By the way, the $38 jersey was customized incorrectly, and should have had white numbers with red trim on the front. With the Twins blue alts, the numbers are the opposite colors of the letters on the front.

Personally, based on what I've seen from Grey Flannel, they know less about what the tagging on a game worn jersey should look like than any auction house ever.