PDA

View Full Version : Displaying unpaired Game used Items?

joelsabi
08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I am working on my display and wanted some opinions on displaying singles of paired items.

Some game used items normally come in pairs such as cleats, batting gloves, sweatbands, and sox. I often see these listed as singles such as Jeter cleats and Shaq shoes. Oftentimes fans are fortunate enough to catch a glove or sweatbands thrown into the stands and dealers often split a pair when selling them.

Just wondering if any of you have a preference in your collection and the reason why?

To me, singles are more affordable, are still game used, and are better than game issued. But i think singles are less authetically pleasing in a display. I think it detracts from a display when displayed as a single and I think the first thing a person is thinking when looking at the display is "where is the other cleat" or "where is the other batting glove?" Some people just cannot imagine buying a single cleat.

I welcome your opinions.

legaleagle92481
08-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I am working on my display and wanted some opinions on displaying singles of paired items.

Some game used items normally come in pairs such as cleats, batting gloves, sweatbands, and sox. I often see these listed as singles such as Jeter cleats and Shaq shoes. Oftentimes fans are fortunate enough to catch a glove or sweatbands thrown into the stands and dealers often split a pair when selling them.

Just wondering if any of you have a preference in your collection and the reason why?

To me, singles are more affordable, are still game used, and are better than game issued. But i think singles are less authetically pleasing in a display. I think it detracts from a display when displayed as a single and I think the first thing a person is thinking when looking at the display is "where is the other cleat" or "where is the other batting glove?" Some people just cannot imagine buying a single cleat.

I welcome your opinions.

I can see it both ways. If you can only afford one or that they are so rare that you do not come across more than one than go for it if its something you want after all its your collection. Who cares what someone else thinks?

joelsabi
08-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I can see it both ways. If you can only afford one or that they are so rare that you do not come across more than one than go for it if its something you want after all its your collection. Who cares what someone else thinks?

When I said "where is the other cleat?" or "where is the other glove?" that was my sentiment when looking at auction items. I do not know if other collectors share my preference for pairs. I have bought single batting gloves in the past only to decide to resell them after having several pairs and seeing them as more aethically pleasing to me. Obviously there is a market for singles since dealers on ebay sell singles. Do dealers buy them as pairs and then split them to make more money?

I will definitely show a pair of cleats on a display. The only advantage of showing just one that I could think of is that I can keep one out of the sunlight and decay will occur on just one autograph.

I would like know what other member's preference are.

mariner_gamers
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I only buy cleats, and batting gloves in pairs unless the player only uses 1 batting glove. I have passed on several cool cleats and gloves simply because the thought of it being incomplete would drive me crazy. I would constantly wonder where the other half is whenever I glanced at the item on my shelf. This is not a preference really it is more the necessity of dealing with how my brain works. I wish I could buy one and be happy I would have a lot more cool items.

emann
08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I will buy singles of any item if it is a relatively rare item (like custom cleats).

Also, cleats display fine this way (they fit into single football display cases)...